TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Old 02-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Originally Posted by septiccrossfire
We would all carry spare tires in our Crossfires but that matter has already been rendered academic...
HEY, I resemble that remark!
And as for the solder joint mystery, and comment about failing because of overheating relay, that is kind of feasible, I guess. All I know is I used to be quality control for electronics (Rockwell Intl.) that were soldered automatically, and the joints I saw on my 5600 mile 2004 RCM were crap, like the connector was cold when shoved in through a molten joint. I suspect it is the size of the pin needing addition time to heat up to the melting point of the solder for a good flow.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

pioneer4x4, if you do ANYTHING to your Crossfire that is not done by a dealer, then you are crap in septiccrossfire's book.
Learn to live with it, like the rest of us.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
pioneer4x4, if you do ANYTHING to your Crossfire that is not done by a dealer, then you are crap in septiccrossfire's book.
Yep.. you will get put in a holding tank until those sh*t ideas of fixing it yourself are over!

Old 02-15-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yeah, one bad thing about those innerwebs, can't tell sarcasm from mean spirit by font. But hey, if you read ALL posts on this thread, you will learn quickly. Everything, about the car, and the people that own them.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Yep.. you will get put in a holding tank until those sh*t ideas of fixing it yourself are over!
One of my "faults" is I actually like my money, I like to keep as much of it as I can, so I can get more stuff and do more things with it, other than giving it to other people so they can get stuff and do things. I'm not a miser, I like to buy stuff, just want to get as much as I can for the limited funds I have. That is why I have a 12 year old sports car, not a new one costing 5-8 times as much.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
One of my "faults" is I actually like my money, I like to keep as much of it as I can, so I can get more stuff and do more things with it, other than giving it to other people so they can get stuff and do things. I'm not a miser, I like to buy stuff, just want to get as much as I can for the limited funds I have. That is why I have a 12 year old sports car, not a new one costing 5-8 times as much.
My 3rd Crossfire .. roadster.. separated back glass.. $2500 for a dealer replacement or under $50 bucks and about 3 hours of my time.. Works just as good as a New one now.. and no checks written.. Somebody feels they need to pay the dealer $60 bucks for a headlight bulb change.. that is their problem..

Old 02-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by septiccrossfire
Well said ! It's about getting the best and the most for the least. It's called free market capitalism. It could perhaps also be said that those of us who buy pre-owned Crossfires are
the pillars of the Crossfire rescue society.
It could be said that you cannot buy a new one.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

You "can" get really close to a new one though..

Old 02-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Touche!! 180

Old 02-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
You "can" get really close to a new one though...
Here is another one , on our side of the border . . .
Chrysler Crossfire Limited 2007 | autos et camions | Laval / Rive-Nord | Kijiji

Note . . .English version in top right corner of the page .

Daniel

Last edited by LagDan; 02-17-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:18 PM

Ah, the disposable society rears its ugly head ....

First of all, there is cheap and there is inexpensive - replacing a relay is inexpensive.

Secondly, if the first air pump relay lasted 12 years the replacement should last for the next 12 as well.

Buying the Standard Products RCM from RockAuto or anywhere else does not necessarily conform to the same build quality of RCM manufactured in Germany.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...422548&jsn=461

http://www.quirkparts.com/oe-mopar/5099007aa

Last edited by ssl92677; 02-20-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got this code today, seems I'm late comming to the party. So far only looked at the little blue check valve, sucked it in and out a few times, and it seemed to be functioning ok. I will try the ground screw thing next. Crimp style ground connection looks cheesy. I noted that one guy had his valve covers replaced I wondered why. mine looks leaky near one of the upper cover bolts. '05 xfire manual.

Update...... I might have jarred the valve enough because lo and behold, the MIL light went out. Drove about 100 highway miles and it stayed off. Never did the ground screw thing.
Thanks again forum contributors.

Last edited by mrradio; 07-17-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ssl92677
Buying the Standard Products RCM from RockAuto or anywhere else does not necessarily conform to the same build quality of RCM manufactured in Germany.
The build quality of the original part is the PROBLEM here. Motorola had solder issues like our RCMs in the late 70's and early 80's and resolved the issues by 1990 - what the hell happened with the RCM? I'ts a board with some relays and diodes on it - while I usually carry the "Get the OEM part" flag as much as anyone, I'm not going to carry that flag in an RCM thread.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by mrradio
Just got this code today, seems I'm late comming to the party. So far only looked at the little blue check valve, sucked it in and out a few times, and it seemed to be functioning ok. I will try the ground screw thing next. Crimp style ground connection looks cheesy. I noted that one guy had his valve covers replaced I wondered why. mine looks leaky near one of the upper cover bolts. '05 xfire manual xmssn
Most are not replaced, unless the guy did it to get a cosmetically-appealing color or finish.

Mine look new, but that is only because I took them off and cleaned the living hell outta them when my leaks started. The breather cover leak gets at least 1/3 of these cars - common issue and pretty easy DIY fix. There are MANY threads here on this issue, here is the one where I spoke of how I dealt with it:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lve-cover.html

Old 07-16-2016, 01:40 PM

I finally got tired of mucking about with my RCM (cleaning dirty contacts) so I finally broke down and just bought a new RCM module. 15 minutes to replace and 'Bob's your uncle'.

Standard Motor Products RY-1562 Relay:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Stan...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Some member on this Forum replaces bad RCM relays if you want your existing unit repaired as well.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ssl92677

Some member on this Forum replaces bad RCM relays if you want your existing unit repaired as well.

That would be me!
$27 gets your RCM repaired and modified.
Air pump relay replaced (code PO410), bad solder joints fixed (mystery No Start), and the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) applied. Return shipping included in the price.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
That would be me!
$27 gets your RCM repaired and modified.
Air pump relay replaced (code PO410), bad solder joints fixed (mystery No Start), and the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) applied. Return shipping included in the price.
Yepper, I would have sent you my RCM for repair but the Mrs. couldn't stand to be without the cars for a few days ...

Old 07-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BRappaport
The little BLUE check valve #12 in the illustration is a known issue with the Secondary air injection system. It is prone to sticking closed. This check valve is between the vacuum control solenoid and the diverter valves which allow fresh air to flow to the exhaust. When this valve is stuck it can not open the diverters. This sets the P0410 code, due to the O2 sensors not seeing a change from the fresh air being injected. Hope this helps.

Part #05096374AA. Right (passenger) front corner of the engine, under the engine cover. Bright Blue valve in the vacuum hose. If you change it yourself pay close attention to the position of the arrow (molded into the plastic) it indicates direction of flow.

Hope this helps....See diagram below...

BRappaport
Can anyone open this link? I don't get anything. I'm looking for a picture of this so called blue air pump.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mugsy99
Can anyone open this link? I don't get anything. I'm looking for a picture of this so called blue air pump.
It's not an air pump. It's a small 1/4" check valve in a 3/8" hose at the front of the engine. Open hood, on left side (passenger) front of engine

Old 07-30-2016, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one has a picture that will open on here?

Quick Reply: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?