TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Newbie needing how-to help

Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Newbie needing how-to help

Okay, okay... I know all of you get SO tired of people coming on here and asking questions that have been covered numerous times, but I've been searching the forum over for hours now without much luck. Although I have found some good suggestions, if you know of any sure fire solutions or how-tos for the problems listed below, please fill me in.

I'm a newbie and would REALLY love to take the very best care of my '04 Xfire, but don't have much experience with cars (just get a kick out of driving them) and don't trust anyone in the area to work on it. All you help will be greatly appreciated!

Here's a list of current issues I'd like to tackle:

- Transmission leak
- Dead cigarette lighter
- Rattle in center console
- Lift gate rattle
- Window seal bubbling
- Idle putter (is this normal?)
- Replacing break pads (with the dustless ones)

Again, I understand most of this has probably been covered, but any links or explanations will be a HUGE help to me.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Newbie needing how-to help

- Transmission leak - Covered by warranty?
- Dead cigarette lighter - See if you have any power to it at all - possibly loose connection.
- Rattle in center console - Is it empty?
- Lift gate rattle - On the forum - tape and possibly TSB
- Window seal bubbling - Covered by warranty?
- Idle putter (is this normal?) - Do you mean surging/hunting, or is it playing golf?
- Replacing break pads (with the dustless ones) - Rotex Gold

Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spensley
- Transmission leak - Covered by warranty?
- Dead cigarette lighter - See if you have any power to it at all - possibly loose connection.
- Rattle in center console - Is it empty?
- Lift gate rattle - On the forum - tape and possibly TSB
- Window seal bubbling - Covered by warranty?
- Idle putter (is this normal?) - Do you mean surging/hunting, or is it playing golf?
- Replacing break pads (with the dustless ones) - Rotex Gold
Wow, thank you for such a speedy reply Spensley!

First off, I did fail to mention I do not have a warranty... so I'm on my own in that respect.

- the cigarette lighter has no power at all and it is not a fuse b/c the light in the glove box does work.
- By center console, I mean the area where the radio is (my apologies)
- What is TSB?
- I do prefer golf, but a different putter... this is while the car is at a stoplight or just in park, it feels as though the engine is uneasy (call it what you will... hiccup, putter, sputter)
- I have the Rotex gold brake pads, but have no idea how to go about installing them

Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

In further response:
Are you sure it's a transmission leak, or just engine oil leak/spill?
Glovebox may be on a different circuit than the cig lighter - could be a loose wire on the back of it.
Which window seal?
Idle problem - are your air filters clean?
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.
Brake pads - any competent garage can change them.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM

Idling: Whar gasoline are you burning? Agree with checking the air filter. Has it always done this?

Brake pads, you may want to get the Rotex pads yourself as any garage will want to sell you what they have in stock or order from their regular supplier(s).

Check the trans fluid level...Low?

I won't be much help on the other items only had mine about a month...

Oh yes and welcome to the forum! Lots of nice helpful people here.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts

- Transmission leak - I"m no help here

- Dead cigarette lighter - any average shade-tree mechanic or car nut can help you with this. If you take the console apart (Not all that hard) you can trace the problem with the lighter AND go lookin for that rattle at the same time. Download the service manual, there is a link to it SOMEWHERE on here - really helped me change out my cupholder!

- Rattle in center console- See above

- Lift gate rattle - I"m no help here.

- Window seal bubbling - It would help to know WHAT window and if this is a Coupe or Roadster.

- Idle putter (is this normal?) - I go along with a change of air filters, make SURE you are buying good gas over 91 octane, and tell us how many miles the car has and if this is a new or old problem!

- Replacing break pads (with the dustless ones) - I'v got to get to that, too.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:42 PM

Good evening, WendyJo & welcome!

First, thanks for attempting the search; it does get old running over the same issues repeatedly. We collectively thank you !

Tranny leak - if it is indeed the tranny the issue is usually resolved by replacing the drain seal.

Dead butt lighter - odd that you have an annoying rattle coming from the console area AND the lighter no worky. Seems a strange coincidence, doesn't it? I'd try to take apart the console area & see if there isn't some part, like an electrical connector perhaps, lying around loose in there.

Window seal - if you're speaking of the seals that surround the glass those would have to be replaced, especially if they're leaking. They're not cheap but any competent body shop should easily be able to handle that.

Lift gate rattle - EZ! Take some electrical tape & wrap it 2 - 5 times around the "C" shaped metal bar that protrudes out of the latch assy. Voila', end of lift gate rattle.

Rough idle - air filters, sure, they're worth checking. Personally, I'd replace them both with some K&N filters. They allow a better air flow (thereby increasing both power AND mileage), aren't terribly expensive & last forever. They do have to be cleaned & re-oiled but it's a snap to do. Beyond that, dump a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank & see if the idle issues go away. If not, then it could be the MAF assy. which gets dirty & begins to mess-up the idle. Those are the quick fixes, anything else will require a mechanic.

Installing the brake pads - just take them to a garage you trust & tell the guy behind the counter you'd like to have him install them for you. It shouldn't be a problem, after all, he'll charge you for labor - it's not like he's losing anything by doing so !

Good luck, Newbie! Keep us up to date on how things go (nobody ever follows-up around here )!

Oh, BTW, we're happy WOMEN drive Crossfires!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

You guys are fantastic! I'm heading to the store this afternoon to pick up some K & Ns and black tape.

Is above 91 fuel 'really' necessary? The enthusiast I bought the car from this summer said he used 89 mid-grade in it, so that what I have been putting in it. It's only got 11,600 miles on the odom.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Wendyjo405
Okay, okay... I know all of you get SO tired of people coming on here and asking questions that have been covered numerous times, but I've been searching the forum over for hours now without much luck. Although I have found some good suggestions, if you know of any sure fire solutions or how-tos for the problems listed below, please fill me in.

I'm a newbie and would REALLY love to take the very best care of my '04 Xfire, but don't have much experience with cars (just get a kick out of driving them) and don't trust anyone in the area to work on it. All you help will be greatly appreciated!

Here's a list of current issues I'd like to tackle:

- Transmission leak TSB read the tsb data in the same thd that you posted in you may find a dealer that would fix that under warranty even if yours you dont have a warranty.
- Dead cigarette lighter
- Rattle in center console
- Lift gate rattle,, when TG open look down where it latches you will see the little bar about 3/4" long wrap that with elect tape.
- Window seal bubbling
- Idle putter (is this normal?)
- Replacing break pads (with the dustless ones)

Again, I understand most of this has probably been covered, but any links or explanations will be a HUGE help to me.
hope my answers helped. jim

Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator

At 11,000 miles you have problems?

Mine had 13,000 on it in four years. Cars not driven often can be a pain!!! Gas does not "sit' well and can varnish or gum up. I like the injector cleaner idea!

I have never heard of anyone using mid-grade gas in a high compression engine like the XF's. Why not TRY the RIGHT gas and some injector cleaner for a few tankfuls and see how it goes - before spending money on a garage?

Expensive gas could save you money in the long run, Wendyjo!

EDIT: There are some real gearheads here, Wendy. I can't wait to see their answers about midgrade gas. I know my little babe will never "drink from the middle pump"!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-07-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I will only put in shell or BP 93 octane, never had problems, hopefully never will.....

Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Several owners here run mid-range gas in their vehicles with no apparent issues BUT (& you know this is coming!) the owners manual (not to mention the label inside the fuel door) says "premium gas only".
Book say Premium Only, Premium Only it is !

Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 539 Likes on 427 Posts

The dead cigarette lighter issue may be something really simple. I know on my newer model (2006) Ford F-150, the cigarette lighter won't work unless the ignition key is in the RUN position. I almost started taking stuff apart in an attempt to trouble-shoot this issue and then someone on one of the F-150 Forums told me this fact.

On the older car models, the cigarette lighters were "hard-wired" to the battery circuit and worked all the time. This also was the source of many a battery drain when the lighter circuit malfunctioned. I'm pretty sure most car OEM's changed the lighter circuitry to eliminate this issue.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 AM

Hi,
You can run lower octane gasoline but the performance and gas mileage will drop off accordingly. Do a site search and you'll find lots of info about this subject.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Paul Bosslet
Hi,
You can run lower octane gasoline but the performance and gas mileage will drop off accordingly. Do a site search and you'll find lots of info about this subject.
But won't the lower octane allow for "pinging" or "pre-ignition" or "knocking"? Sure that robs mileage and performance, but it is ALSO unhealthy for the engine, is it not?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:49 PM

Welcome, in regards to the lighter mine wasn't working either. Check the fuse box & # 31. It's a 15 blue.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Banned

I made my decision - I'm making the switch next time I go to fill up! Thought it was odd that the previous owner used midgrade while both the owner's manual (which I did read, thank you ) and the inside of the gas tank door said differently, but I also didn't think is was good on the car to switch fuel types. Live & learn my friends, live & learn!

On that note, any opinion as to the details of injector cleaner (ie brand, how to use it, frequency)

Yeah, I always thought buying a car with low miles was best, but I'm learning that is not necessarily true. Bought it with only 8,000 on it this summer at 5 years old... the guy kept it in the garage with a cover on it. Body looks great, thank god, but sounds like the engine might need a bit of love.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Might need a bit of DRIVING with injector cleaner in the (93 octane) gas!

I will let someone more knowledgeable and experienced tell you WHAT cleaner to buy, but I DO use SHell or BP gas almost all the time. I think this will clear up in time, IF it's a dirty injector problem. And I really think that is what is going on here. (Again, not a mechanic, but I hang around with one a lot.)

Old 10-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add a can of SeaFoam to your tank. You can get it at any auto parts store.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, in the future, NEVER buy a car from someone who said he used lower octane gas than that required/advised

there's no telling what kind of stuff he did and didn't do since he obviously didn't care about the car; I doubt the engine oil has ever been changed, etc., etc.

what year/version of the Crossfire did you get?

Quick Reply: Newbie needing how-to help