TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by michaelcamilo
Update: Going on 3 weeks with out my Crossfire. Been riding the guzzi to and from work everyday.

I had the car towed from Superior Auto Clinic in North Hollywood to Dave Ellis Chrysler in Canoga Park. I relayed the history of the issue to the service manager who did not tell his certified crossfire tech as he wanted him to diagnose the issue blind.
They've come up with the same thing I did, "Code 2071-08 Start enable from SKREEM not sent."
He says that this is a known issue and there is a "Star Case" number that was issued just this August.
The protocol is to replace the SKREEM module; parts + labor $620. Ouch.
I'd want the tech to start blind too. Hopefully, replacing the SKREEM module will finally get you back on the road!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

Just thought I would add my 2 pennies (or cents of course) to this thread.

Just started getting the 'no start' problem in the last month and this thread has pointed me towards the RCM (thanks!).

In my case what happens is you turn the ignition but sometimes (and only sometimes) the display does not go from the # type sign to the P sign for Parked. If it does not go to P the ignition doesn't crank at all. Sometimes you can just wait and eventually the P comes on - more recently it has started flickering between P and the # sign meaning a great game of chance as to when to turn the ignition that last turn!

When it does start the Spoiler goes up and requires lowering if the above circumstance has happened.

Anyways opened up the RCM and checked the solder joints - they look OK to me - not a overly large amount of solder but looks like full contact there and enough solder to do the job.

However, and heres the rub, the actual relay on the same 'end' as the solder joints in question was covered in 'gunk' - cleared this down and the spring either broke whilst cleaning it or was broken anyway (I suspect the later since the remainder of the spring was hardly what I would call spring like) - it looks like some kind of corrosion in there.

Have ordered some springs to arrive tomorrow (not sure if I have the right size but we will see) and cleaned up as best I can so will let you know if that cures the problem - it seems a 'similar' problem but not down to the solder joints in my case!

On the bright side a new RCM in the UK is only £120 (I say 'only' but I mean compared to the $700 I have seen on this thread being quoted to replace the RCM at a dealers).

Cheers

Dave

Oh and something else! Mine has 07S written on the PCB - is this the mod to fix the solder joints do we think?

Last edited by Dave Myers; 12-29-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

look at those joints under a magnifying glass..they aren't soldered that well...I would solder them since you have it out. I think Dave has dealt with the relays you are talking about...as well as DJ...that would be 180 and tighed1...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 12-29-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
look at those joints under a magnifying glass..they aren't soldered that well...I would solder them since you have it out. I think Dave has dealt with the relays you are talking about...as well as DJ...
Thanks for the reply

I don't have a magnifying glass but have looked as close as I can with the naked eye - also with my track record of soldering I think I would prob be better off buying a new RCM! ;-)

Hopefully though my problem is the Relay so I won't have to!

R.

Dave

Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Myers
Thanks for the reply

I don't have a magnifying glass but have looked as close as I can with the naked eye - also with my track record of soldering I think I would prob be better off buying a new RCM! ;-)

Hopefully though my problem is the Relay so I won't have to!

R.

Dave
Dave, contact Tighed1 he will work out doing it for you. See post # 120 in this thread.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Dave, contact Tighed1 he will work out doing it for you. See post # 120 in this thread.
^^What he said^^

Old 12-30-2011, 02:18 AM

Thanks but I am in the UK so thats a no go I am afraid - don't worry will sort it myself if I have to - lets see if the spring and the clean-up does the job.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks but I am in the UK so thats a no go I am afraid - don't worry will sort it myself if I have to - lets see if the spring and the clean-up does the job.
Should the spring? and clean-up not get the job done, then taking up DJ on his offer is a no-brainer IMO. I hope it works out for you though. For basically just shipping cost, you get a professional re-solder job, and a horn that honks whenever you need it to. That alone could save you a major body repair bill. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 AM

The post office still works there in the winter doesn't it?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 AM

The post office still works there in the winter doesn't it?
Ha ha - yes Larry the Post Office does still work here but the cost and the time it would take to ship it over there and back is frankly inhibitive for such an important part to the car!

Anyways springs have arrived and with a bit of creating wire cutting have managed to make one fit the relay - have also done the solder fix (badly of course) and she is firing up first time now - time will tell if it holds I guess. Will probably buy a replacement from MB anyway and use my 'fixed' one as a backup just in case (I never trust my own fixes for long!)

Thanks for all the advice

Dave

Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Well good luck with it and I hope you get it worked out soon.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM

So what does the center connection control of these three control?
Mine had cracks in that connection.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 391 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by hemibeep

So what does the center connection control of these three control?
Mine had cracks in that connection.
This definately needs resoldering! While your in there, resolder the rest of em to preclude problems in the future. If your unskilled in this area, send it to tighted1, he refurbishes them for folks and if I'm not mistaken, only wants a six pack. Cannot beat the price! I think I heard somewhere, if you contact him, he'll send you a fixed one, you swap it out, and send yours back to him for the next person. High praise for his service to the XF community, I believe!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM

My car electronics work fine, and I hear the ignition ticking when I turn the key. But the car will not crank at ALL. That lead me to think I might have an RCM problem. However I am suspicious because just this morning I put my Mopar battery on a trickle charger, charged it to 100% (Voltmeter read 12.6 to 12.7 Volts), cleaned the battery terminals with a baking soda/ water mixture, and reconnected the battery. I turn the key and no crank. I then double-checked the + and - connectors/ terminals and noticed the negative connector that goes to the frame had a ring of "reddish tint" on the bottom of the loop where it connects to the battery terminal. Re-scrubbed and dried the connectors, but the color appears to be permanent.
I find it to be a strange coincidence that the car will not crank right AFTER I charged the battery, yet the symptom does seem to be identical to the RCM problem...
I'm looking at my RCM board as I type this, and the soldering looks to be in good shape. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as the car is my daily driver and work starts bright and early tomorrow

Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jetdriverk
My car electronics work fine, and I hear the ignition ticking when I turn the key. But the car will not crank at ALL. That lead me to think I might have an RCM problem. However I am suspicious because just this morning I put my Mopar battery on a trickle charger, charged it to 100% (Voltmeter read 12.6 to 12.7 Volts), cleaned the battery terminals with a baking soda/ water mixture, and reconnected the battery. I turn the key and no crank. I then double-checked the + and - connectors/ terminals and noticed the negative connector that goes to the frame had a ring of "reddish tint" on the bottom of the loop where it connects to the battery terminal. Re-scrubbed and dried the connectors, but the color appears to be permanent.
I find it to be a strange coincidence that the car will not crank right AFTER I charged the battery, yet the symptom does seem to be identical to the RCM problem...
I'm looking at my RCM board as I type this, and the soldering looks to be in good shape. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as the car is my daily driver and work starts bright and early tomorrow
Why did you use the trickle charger?
Are you using a magnifying glass to look at the RCM solder joints?
I am not into coincidences either, but you never know.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Am I the only one that believes in wire brushing or lightly sanding the battery terminals and connectors? Shiney connections are happy connections

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting up this easy fix. I was doing some other mods under the hood anyway so I decided to go ahead and check on my module. Guess what I found?! A min later with the soldering iron and I prevented a problem before it started thankfully! I guess it should become an annual inspection item to make sure I dont run into problems in the future.
Thanks again for sharing the valuable info!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad you were able to DIY before a problem happened and before the price goes up for me to fix them.

Since little stickers are now going for $10 each ($13 if yer from Canada, eh) I must not be charging enough!!!

No really, still JUST $10 ($5 for return shipping & $5 for a beer) for this service to my Crossfire friends (NOT customers).

Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tighed1
Glad you were able to DIY before a problem happened and before the price goes up for me to fix them.

Since little stickers are now going for $10 each ($13 if yer from Canada, eh) I must not be charging enough!!!

No really, still JUST $10 ($5 for return shipping & $5 for a beer) for this service to my Crossfire friends (NOT customers).

Nice to see that "you're" not here only for the money !!!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1

Okay..so how much for answereing a question..since I've asked twice now about the numbers on the board..

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)