TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by jetdriverk
Here's some photos showing the older A2105400072 RCM against the Crossfire's stock RCM. The only difference I could find was another 15 amp fuse in the older one instead of 20 amp. The car started up fine with the the older RCM. I'll be using it as peace-of-mind for my 1,600 mile road trip coming up soon.

That is good to know.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The remote works with the locks and alarm. It will start the car twice but it dies within seconds. After you try starting it twice the the next tries will do nothing. If you unplug the battery for a few minutes you again can start it up twice. Had no issues before this, checked battery all good there, could this be the (RCM) or!!Please help

Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by watsup
The remote works with the locks and alarm. It will start the car twice but it dies within seconds. After you try starting it twice the the next tries will do nothing. If you unplug the battery for a few minutes you again can start it up twice. Had no issues before this, checked battery all good there, could this be the (RCM) or!!Please help
Sounds like the SKREEM module. If something is not correct in the security system the SKREEM stops you from 'stealing' the car. If the SKREEM module has gone wrong it causes this problem as well. Check the codes if any are set and maybe you will find a hint of the problem.

Have you tried another key? Have you played around under the dash? The halo ring around the ignition key senses the key and if it is disconnected you will have this problem as well.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:15 AM

I will rent a code reader and see if any code come up,,,what could go wrong with the skreem,,,is there a post of how to check it or test it that you know off,,,Thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM

I found your instruction on how to remove the ignition, I will open it and make sure everything is connected,,any way to test it,,,I did try my spare key, same thing! Thanks

Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM

Ok, opened panel under ignition, ring looks connected, no codes coming out,,,HELP,,,Whats next,,any help,,can the anti theft be bypassed?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 AM

New Year's Day here in TX. Tried to take my 2007 Sportster (14,000 miles / second car) out last night and it didn't start. I will most likely be attempting this repair myself today.

If anyone wants to send some encouragement my way, or has any tips... Email it my way, or call me at 321. 278.1672. I'm located in Fort Worth, TX.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by FatCat
New Year's Day here in TX. Tried to take my 2007 Sportster (14,000 miles / second car) out last night and it didn't start. I will most likely be attempting this repair myself today.

If anyone wants to send some encouragement my way, or has any tips... Email it my way, or call me at 321. 278.1672. I'm located in Fort Worth, TX.
Sportster ?? Don't know much about Harley's, but if you meant 'Roadster', then basic soldering skills and a magnifying glass should get you there.

On the K40 RCM fix, I suggest also using a solder-sucker and first remove the old solder from the 3 lugs, then use a good grade electronics solder to fix it.

( remove the negative battery terminal before diving into the adjacent electronics box )

Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Sportster ?? Don't know much about Harley's, but if you meant 'Roadster', then basic soldering skills and a magnifying glass should get you there.

On the K40 RCM fix, I suggest also using a solder-sucker and first remove the old solder from the 3 lugs, then use a good grade electronics solder to fix it.

( remove the negative battery terminal before diving into the adjacent electronics box )

You will be able to fix this in no time. Follow the directions and if you don't have a solder sucker, try heating up the point slowly and let the solder melt and add more as needed. I was able to do mine in less than 30 minutes and that was about a year ago.

Good luck and Happy New Year!!

Paul

Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 AM

Guys, yes I mean Roadster and yes I do own a Harley also...

The RCM is out and yes it looks bad. I've attached a couple of photos.
Thanks for the great advise.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (1.08 MB, 48 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Here is the close up...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (1.38 MB, 53 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is the close up...
Let us know if that resolves the problem, please.

( and Happy New Year ! )

Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Awe... and here I was going to say Ignition control module..or stuck float....

Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 PM

No good guys.
It didn't fix it. Now, short of it having been a bad solder job what else would you suggest?
Mrmiata what were your suggestions?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM

No good guys.
It didn't fix it. Now, short of it having been a bad solder job what else would you suggest?
Mrmiata what were your suggestions?
I was in "fix a Sportster" mode..

"nothing" from the starter when switched over... or cranks but won't fire off?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM

"it didn't start" means nothing. What actually happened? Car turned over or not etc.
Jumping on the RCM without the matching clues is not conducive to solving the problem at all.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM

There is no 'priming' of starter when key is turned to power only (not crank) position. There is not cranking at all when key is fully turned.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM

There is no 'priming' of starter when key is turned to power only (not crank) position. There is not cranking at all when key is fully turned.
Never heard of "priming" a starter?

But.. do you by chance hear a single "click"..as in a relay..when switched over to the crank position.. if so bad battery most likely..

These cars don't seem to give you a "slow crank" effect when the battery is down..

RCM does give you a "no response" from the starter.. Also did you check the actual relays on the other side of the board.. burnt or dirty contacts..?

Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Went to start Crossfire it cranked for one second and that was it . Checked RCM and soldered joints also saw relay points bad filed them. All connectors looked like new.[Thought GREAT I found problem and cured it.] Still same thing. Replaced RCM. Basically what happening is if I disconnect battery for couple minutes after reconnect it will crank for one second maybe twice.on first attemps Then thats it, lights come on but car makes no attempt to engage starter until reconnect battery again. The battery went bad about a week ago so its new and fully charged even tried jumping car. Could it be Crank or Cam position sensor that when engine comes around to it its sending message to shut off starter. Bought obd scanner and will check today car is stuck at work. Thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Hopefully others have better thoughts than mine here..

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...m-modules.html

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)