TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace

Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace

Can someone tell me or even better, have a picture where to add transmission fluid on a manual transmission?

Old 05-21-2017, 06:21 PM

Was this done on a manual transmission? I have read that people use mobile 1 motor oil in there manual transmissions, but i want to know what viscosity to use.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From the owners manual. Use only fluid spec MB236.2, SAE 5W-20 meeting API SL or GF-3. 1.9 qts

Old 05-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of discussion on this topic. Owner's manual recommends fluid meeting MB 236.2 spec or 5w-20 motor oil as a substitute, although it doesn't specifically mention synthetic. I've tried everything to improve the shifting and finally landed on the MB factory fill for SLK and C-Class manual trannys. See below thread for more info.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...smission+fluid

NeedsWings Performance Products. Manual Transmission Fluid

Last edited by harbor; 05-21-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Thanks guys i appreciate the information. I read the thread you pointed me to harbor, thanks. One more question which may seem like a stupid one, but it never hurts to be certain. Will the filter and gaskets shown in this thread work with the 6 spd manual transmission? Was this How-To done on an automatic or a manual transmission? Thanks a lot, the crossfire sure is a great car.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs down Re: How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace

YOu can not go to the dealership. Find another way, they lie and are untrained and uninterested. Period.

My dodge dealer is so bad I considered dumping my durango, crossfire, and ram1500.

I would keep the 73 challenger 6 pac cause I can work on it, Woody

Old 05-23-2017, 04:30 PM

I don't use the dealer unless it is warranty work. I do all my work myself unless it is something big and i still don't use the dealership. Still wondering though was this How-To done on a manual crossfire transmission?

Old 05-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by charlestoncrossfire
I don't use the dealer unless it is warranty work. I do all my work myself unless it is something big and i still don't use the dealership. Still wondering though was this How-To done on a manual crossfire transmission?
Orig thread topic was for an automatic trans.
The manual trans is a fluid swap only and does not require filters.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question: the CarFax report for my Xfire shows a transmission filter replaced at 70k.
Is it safe to assume the transmission fluid was also changed at the same time although it does not say so?
From the tutorial I read above, it looks like it would not make any sense to do one without the other, and most of the fluid flows out anyway when you take the filter out.
Thanks.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:52 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Probably a partial replacement, fluid was most likely left in the converter and not changed.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No one has mentioned that for auto trans there is no dipstick, or that MB dealers have the tool to open the filler and also a dipstick to check the level.
Page 228 of Owners manual says change at 80,000 miles, then never again, but be sure to use Mercedes Benz approved MB 236.10, 236.12 (that is the spec)
Page 251 sez trans gets 8 liters (8.5 quarts). Page 253 repeats the 236.10, 236.12 spec AND states that "synthetic Dexron III Transmission Fluid may be substituted".
So, people, the big deal is of course that, correct fluid issue aside, too much will blow out seals and too little will let the trans burn up.
I am asking my mechanic (charging me $170 for labor, gasket, filter) exactly how he is going to check the fluid level when he is done.... BEFORE I let him mess with it!
Actually, I dropped the car off tonight, and asked how he would proceed, and he said he would research it and if he did not learn what to do he would do nothing.
There is a utube out there talking about how Mercedes Benz Dealerships have the tool to get to the 'sealed' dipstick/filler tube and also a dipstick for this 5 speed transmission.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy the dipstick online for $6 or so. Also replaceable filler caps for $3. You can even reuse the one you have , if your careful , using a small screwdriver. Read post #78 in this thread!

Last edited by Steve Jr; 05-01-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:49 PM

i feel for u Howard. i'm goin thru alot of bs, with GoodYear Super cntr, by my house. can you tell me where the vin # is located on the trans.? or vis there a way to tell if they exchanged my trans? they said they did, but its almost doin ther same as when i took it in..i feel they did no research on my car. i doubt if the right trans fluid vwas vused plus they added 3 different additives to fluid..service manual says DONT ADD ADDITIVES TO TRANS, OR OIL......bottom line, how can i tell if its a different trans?thanx for any help .

Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Received 338 Likes on 298 Posts

In my opinion GOODYEAR is a rip off. They overfilled my sons transmission by 2 quarts causing it ti spray out the dipstick !!!!

Old 05-04-2018, 06:46 PM

thanx for your reply. my trans was slippin somewhat. i take it to them, says i need new trans.. bro, is there any way i can tell if they even changed my tranny? i'm very naive when it comes to matching numbers on a car. is the vin number , on the dash also on motor and trans? nif so, do u know where it is on the trans? please help...

Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I am happy to say that I took minne to my mechanic and he DID it correctly, it seems.
He went with the DexIII spec, which was fine with me.
Dropped the pan changed oil and filter... all very boiler plate but then...
He actually purchased the dipstick that you need...
and....
he found specs that said where on the dipstick the fluid should measure...
and... AT WHAT TEMPERATURE!

So he put in the fluid, ran the car and monitored the transmission fluid temerature.
He told me when it got hot, he took a little out.

He showed me the ALLDATA graph - a piece of paper with a graph on it - which spoke to where the level should be depending on temperature.

So it is not not like the factory where they pour it in knowing from the git they are using the correct amount.

Sadly the trans does not drain completely (at all) cuz of torque converter retaining a couple quarts, so, measuring the level at different temperatures is the most accurate way to know.

And... the purpose of doing the flush once and only one per lifetime of car is that they figger there may be some particulates that gather in pan from new machinery wearing in and, get rid of those once, then use the finest synthetic available.

btw: Interesting fact.... did you know that as late as the 1960's American (and other) auto transmissions used WHALE OIL in the transmission? My oh my we have come a long way. (Think solar energy... in its 1940's and what cars were like then and 80 years later. Solar is kind of clunky now but give it a few years...!)

Old 05-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Did you know that if you change the fluid, drive 20 miles or so, then change it again that you now have about 90% new fluid ( including torque converter )

Old 05-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Or if you remove the return side going back into the trans you can do it all 3 qts at a time. That's extreme DIY driveway mechanics stuff...lol.. an yes thats how I did it...

Last edited by Steve Jr; 05-05-2018 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WD40 (01-18-2022)
Old 05-11-2018, 05:21 AM

i hope i'm in the right area..i recently had a used automatisc trans installed in m,y 2004 coupe. now i've read in service manual, chrysler and mb both, highly recommend, not to add anything , additives to the trans , just the atf, amzoil,? or moparfluid, the additives will harm seals, gaskets, and so on, and so on.. the manual also states, once you change out your fluid at 100,000 mile, its good for life.some people in the forum,here, disagree with this, ...now goodyear supercenter installed the trans, added some $4,98 a qt tranny fluid, and 3 different additives. is it ok to add anything to a used trans? or under no circumstances, add anything different except straight ATF? i really doubt gthey did any research on my car before working on it..i got so much to say, buut bottom line, add additives or not? please set me straight, so i can go there , knowing what i'm talking about.. i will make them change it, and stand vthere and watch um, so its done right... thanx, all who can help.. signed: fed up with goodyear.. sorry about the typos...

Old 05-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Charles , go back with your owners manual in hand an say ," How the He// do you stay in business? Didn't you even bother looking up what's suppose to go into this car? If this transmission goes belly up , YOU WILL replace it at YOUR expence , because you couldn't be bothered with looking at a manual. Know it or not this is a MB transmission , with all the same specs. Matter of fact , I want the fluid an filter changed right now because im afraid to drive it. Im not a mechanic but, even I ,have enough sense to read what kind of fluid goes back in it. I'll sit right here until your finished. Please hurry , ive got better things to do than wait all day on you!" May want to tone it down a little , but not much.

Quick Reply: How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace