TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

HVAC Fan Regulator Replacement

Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HVAC Fan Regulator Replacement

Can you post the part number?

I can't find it on Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips when searching under Crossfire or SLK.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakey
Can you post the part number?

I can't find it on Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips when searching under Crossfire or SLK.
The part number is shown in post #15 in this thread, photo #1.

or at AutohousAZ

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The part number is shown in post #15 in this thread, photo #1.

or at AutohousAZ
Thanks, the photos weren't loading for me before, but are now.
The part number is
2108206210U or 2108206210

For what it's worth, the part number you linked from Amazon has been shown to work in a Crossfire, but it makes the fan speeds higher than the stock part. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ere-get-2.html
Based on that, I'll spend the extra $20 and hopefully get the correct part.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM

I ordered and installed the Uro part from Autohaus.

With help from the video it was about a 15 minute job. If I had known it was that inexpensive and easy to fix, I would have done that a year ago when I noticed the fan acting strange. The Uro part appears to be an exact match and the fan speeds seem to be the same compared to stock.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 PM

I just noticed my fan goes higher on all speeds then drops down to where it supposed to be.. the will stop working completely until I jiggle the ***.. guess I need to order one.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
onehundred80,

I'm not quite sure why you referred me to that document. Yes, it has good information. Nearly all of which I have read previously. The problem here is that the "Fan Regulator" has gone bad and there are quite a number of owners in all three brand categories that have replaced more than one of these units.

I am making sure there is no special function for this unit other than translating 0-7VDC at low current (control signal) to 0-12VDC at high current (Fan operating power). When I talk about mapping out the circuit, I am referring to the internal circuit in the "Fan Regulator" itself.

I have come up with a simple PWM circuit that may be a cheaper solution. Without putting a scope on the fan power while it runs and see if it is already PWM, I have no way to confirm the ELMOS chip on the unit is a dual timer or something more complicated.

Anyone here able to put a scope on the fan power side of a working unit and see if it's pulsed DC or flat DC?
Any news yet?
We await with great anticipation.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:25 PM

Hey,

I recently followed yours and another members helpful how to entitled Crossfire Blower Motor and Resistor Bench Test. I found it quite helpful.

As per the write-up, I used a multi-meter to test my battery - 12+ volts, despite being the original battery.

Then checked all the prescribed fuses - which checked out. I then applied power and ground from the battery to the connections on the blower motor which caused it to spin. Finally, I checked the Control Module output. On fan speed #5, I got 7.26V.

As such, I have concluded that like others, the Blower Motor resistor is the culprit. Has anyone had any problems with the URO part? I have heard they are not good quality

Thanks for the write-up, I have found this forum to be an invaluable resource,

Brewski

Last edited by brewski; 10-08-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have built the test circuit and get a good PWM range response in both +12VDC to +15VDC with a simulated load. NOTE: the fan will run at the same speeds with the engine running and not as the PWM percentages of voltage vs. duty cycle output to the fan are proportional to the voltage increase. The control voltage does NOT change with the engine running or not. It remains constant depending upon the selector position. Full off is 0VDC and full on is ~+7VDC.

Example: At +15VDC, the PWM Duty Cycle output of ~75% at +12VDC will output ~98% PWM Duty Cycle at ~+10VDC. This means that regardless of the voltage supplied to the fan controller, the PWM duty cycle should never exceed 100% and total power to the fan will also never exceed 100% of +12VDC.

This is my proposed circuit. All components, including board manufacture can be sourced for less than $12 per board in batches larger than 100. This excludes the "custom" fan control socket for connecting to the existing wiring harness plug. I have yet to find the type of plug with the proper pins to make it work. The other option is to source the pins by themselves and just solder them to the board with the appropriate spacing. All of this cost does NOT include assembly.

A small "Test" batch of 10 to 20 boards would spread out the setup cost, which is usually about $100. So we are looking at prototypes complete for about $30 to $40 in this small of a batch. If there is enough of a response, I would be willing to build the first "Test" batch and ship them.

I still have to build the first prototype to test the thermal requirements of the MOSFET heat dissipation and verify the heat sink will be necessary and cost effective. This is also pending the connector and/or pins for the factory plug.

UPDATE: I have found another MOSFET that can handle up to 23 Amps of power at 30VDC without a heat sink other than the board copper. With the load spread between TWO of these as in the circuit diagram and with the voltage never exceeding 15VDC, this should be able to handle the power load even at the highest fan speed setting without a heat sink! These can be sourced at ~$1.00 each at 10+ quantity.

On the BMW side of the isle, they have the same issue, but it would require a different plug to connect to their harness.

Like anuses, everyone has an opinion. Let's hear yours.

Attached Images

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 10-10-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
I have built the test circuit and get a good PWM range response in both +12VDC to +15VDC with a simulated load. NOTE: the fan will run at the same speeds with the engine running and not as the PWM percentages of voltage vs. duty cycle output to the fan are proportional to the voltage increase. The control voltage does NOT change with the engine running or not. It remains constant depending upon the selector position. Full off is 0VDC and full on is ~+7VDC.

Example: At +15VDC, the PWM Duty Cycle output of ~75% at +12VDC will output ~98% PWM Duty Cycle at ~+10VDC. This means that regardless of the voltage supplied to the fan controller, the PWM duty cycle should never exceed 100% and total power to the fan will also never exceed 100% of +12VDC.

This is my proposed circuit. All components, including board manufacture can be sourced for less than $12 per board in batches larger than 100. This excludes the "custom" fan control socket for connecting to the existing wiring harness plug. I have yet to find the type of plug with the proper pins to make it work. The other option is to source the pins by themselves and just solder them to the board with the appropriate spacing. All of this cost does NOT include assembly.

A small "Test" batch of 10 to 20 boards would spread out the setup cost, which is usually about $100. So we are looking at prototypes complete for about $30 to $40 in this small of a batch. If there is enough of a response, I would be willing to build the first "Test" batch and ship them.

I still have to build the first prototype to test the thermal requirements of the MOSFET heat dissipation and verify the heat sink will be necessary and cost effective. This is also pending the connector and/or pins for the factory plug.

On the BMW side of the isle, they have the same issue, but it would require a different plug to connect to their harness.

Like anuses, everyone has an opinion. Let's hear yours.
I'm in for one. Put me at the top of the list.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 AM

Looks good to me too.
( how about a 300 HP DC motor, lithium batteries and a controller to replace the V6 ? )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-11-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Looks good to me, put me right under onehundred80 where I belong.
That does not sound quite right somehow.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL... I was going to give him a free pass on that statement.. None of my business as I see it..

Or should that be "as I prefer not to see it" ??

Old 10-11-2013, 03:41 PM

perhaps you are correct, I would like to retract that ( matter of fact, I did )

Old 10-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Count me in for one. I'm getting the high blower speed on most all settings until I jiggle the ****, then it settles into the correct speed.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 AM

More people should step up and get this unit. When your fan controller goes on the blink you'll be glad you did.

Get one now and save the agro later.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 PM

OK .... after getting the OK from our GODFATHER (Dave - OneHundred80), put me down for one. And believe it or not I didn't have to kiss his ring ... or anything else for that matter ... LOL

Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
More people should step up and get this unit. When your fan controller goes on the blink you'll be glad you did.

Get one now and save the agro later.
I read something about the regulator going out shortly after I bought my Crossfire so I bought one Nov. 26, 2011. Have it at the ready for when mine eventually goes out. My A/C blower was acting strange when I test drove my car on Sept. 24, 2011...still acting strange, but still works...

Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Forum Regular
Default HVAC Fan Regulator Replacement

I've not tested it, but today the fan was off/on, then simply off. I certainly think $30 to$40 is more than fair. My only concern is will this version fit where the old regulator is?

My 51K miles '07 XF arrived last Wednesday with a dead hood strut. It's been replaced, and as commented above, today the fan eventually quit woking - and it's hot here. I need my A/C.

Put me down for one providing the prototype works as expected.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 PM

MMZ-TimeLord
I think a new post is warranted, so that a list can be made up. This thread can be bumped but it will not show the group buy until someone looks for it.
BUMP

Quick Reply: HVAC Fan Regulator Replacement