TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How To: Replace the batteries in the alarm module

Old 07-16-2019, 07:16 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: How To: Replace the batteries in the alarm module

The only way to look inside is to cut it open, I doubt anyone would accept a return.
Buy a new one, make sure it is one that beeps on lock/unlock.
( look at above syfi post for part number )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 07-16-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for all your help on this guys didn't bother trying to change batteries after I'd opened it as the circuit board had been damaged but I did buy a second hand module from ebay and works perfectly also rather than having to to try to free the wiper blade arms off as they were rusted on I could actually get the module in and out nice and easily without touching them so very pleased and no more alarm going off thank you again a happy boy

Old 07-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

How were you able to do that without removing the cowl?

Old 07-27-2019, 01:46 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
How were you able to do that without removing the cowl?
I am a little curious about that too.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
I am a little curious about that too.
via arthroscopy I would think. Leaves only tiny scar to boot !

Old 07-27-2019, 03:17 PM

I undone the cowl and managed to lift the cowl and slide the module out so didn't need to undo the wiper arms

Old 07-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Adam73bonner
I undone the cowl and managed to lift the cowl and slide the module out so didn't need to undo the wiper arms
You ARE a clever little rascal, aren't you ?

Old 07-28-2019, 04:01 PM

Just thought it would be good advise for other users in same situation and it saves on buying a puller for the wiper arms

Old 10-05-2021, 04:41 PM

Decided to try replacing the alarm batteries and followed your PDF instructions to the letter. Thank you so very much for the step by step procedures and pictures couldn't have done it without them. My wife now has a working alarm system on her dream car and I learned quite a bit and took the time while I was at it to check the drain holes, make a grommet to fit around the driver side wiper and correctly position the wiper arms. Total cost $30. I've attached a couple of pictures of the batteries and board when I pulled them from the siren.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:42 PM

How did you repair that board?

Old 10-05-2021, 06:11 PM

I didn't think I could do it when I saw the board but decided to try and turned out to be fairly easy. Here are the steps I took.
1- Removed the old batteries.
2- Made a cleaning paste using baking soda and water (google it, there are many sites that describe the method) and did a first pass cleaning, that got most of the buildup off the board. Let the board dry overnight over 1 of the furnace hot air vent or you can use your oven set at 175 degrees.
3- Did a second pass cleaning using isopropyl alcohol.
4- Then sprayed the entire board with QD electronic cleaner and that was it. The solder mask is gone but the board comes out really clean.

I found the most difficult part of the job was removing the old solder and the old battery pins and soldering the new batteries in but it was worth the effort.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:21 PM

Great, let use know how well it holds up.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Redtoy2
I didn't think I could do it when I saw the board but decided to try and turned out to be fairly easy. Here are the steps I took.
1- Removed the old batteries.
2- Made a cleaning paste using baking soda and water (google it, there are many sites that describe the method) and did a first pass cleaning, that got most of the buildup off the board. Let the board dry overnight over 1 of the furnace hot air vent or you can use your oven set at 175 degrees.
3- Did a second pass cleaning using isopropyl alcohol.
4- Then sprayed the entire board with QD electronic cleaner and that was it. The solder mask is gone but the board comes out really clean.

I found the most difficult part of the job was removing the old solder and the old battery pins and soldering the new batteries in but it was worth the effort.
Have You taken any pictures of the Alarm board after the cleaning ? It would be interesting to evaluate the damage caused by the battery leakage . . .

Daniel

Old 10-10-2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by LagDan
Have You taken any pictures of the Alarm board after the cleaning ? It would be interesting to evaluate the damage caused by the battery leakage . . .

Daniel
No Daniel I didn't. I only thought about it later. I couldn't wait to try it and got carried away I guess! I can tell you that I saw absolutely no damage at all caused by the leakage but the cleaning did remove the solder mask so I applied a bit of lacquer around the soldering points before installing the new batteries just to avoid any spillover. So far, I've had no problems at all with the siren going off for no reason and the system arms properly and seems to function as it was designed to. After doing this, I can tell you that the baking soda paste really does an awesome job at cleaning the circuit board and in my case anyway didn't have any negative effects. The only other thing I did was to install a 4-gauge ground cable from the bellhousing directly to the negative battery post as I'd seen it mentioned on this board a few times. If I ever open up the siren again, I'll make sure to take pictures. If you're thinking of doing it or if you have an old board, give it a try, you'll be surprised.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Redtoy2
If you're thinking of doing it or if you have an old board, give it a try, you'll be surprised.
I might try it on the old original alarm just to see the result, but i do not intend to use this alarm anymore on my 2005 XF. This original alarm did not have the chirps feature . . . 3 for lock and 1 for unlock, like the one I have replaced it with, some Years ago .

Daniel

Old 10-11-2021, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by LagDan
I might try it on the old original alarm just to see the result, but i do not intend to use this alarm anymore on my 2005 XF. This original alarm did not have the chirps feature . . . 3 for lock and 1 for unlock, like the one I have replaced it with, some Years ago .

Daniel
Give it a shot, I think you'll be impressed with the results. Here's a good link to get detailed information on the cleaning process Tips On How To Clean A Circuit Board Of Corrosion (sfxpcb.com) but there are other sites as well and they basically give the same information. My alarm does not have the CHIRP feature either and if it did, then it no longer works.