TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Roadster 3rd brake light flasher mounting

Old 04-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Roadster 3rd brake light flasher mounting

Here's how I wired and mounted the 3rd brake light flasher on my roadster.
I can easily disconnect it and go back to stock if needed. I picked up the 2 2pin trailer connectors at NAPA.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Re: Roadster 3rd brake light flasher mounting

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I can easily disconnect it and go back to stock if needed. I picked up the 2 2pin trailer connectors at NAPA.

That pretty much takes care of the whole fleet (Coupe and Roadsters) of XF's in regard to the flashing module on the TCMBL! Thanks George (for those with a roadster).

Old 04-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I can easily disconnect it and go back to stock if needed. I picked up the 2 2pin trailer connectors at NAPA.[/IMG][/URL]
I think if I did this I would add a single pole double throw switch to bypass it if ever needed.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
I think if I did this I would add a single pole double throw switch to bypass it if ever needed.
Thought of that, but then I would have had to drill a hole in the plastic cover for the switch, and I didn't want to do that.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bud, we gotta' get together?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Thought of that, but then I would have had to drill a hole in the plastic cover for the switch, and I didn't want to do that.
Or even a remote switch up front!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:49 PM

Or even a remote switch up front!

I can only think of two people who would want to bypass this mod with a separate switch. I can only speculate why a bypass would be wanted or needed. So I'll take the plunge and ask, why?

Old 04-18-2015, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I can only think of two people who would want to bypass this mod with a separate switch. I can only speculate why a bypass would be wanted or needed. So I'll take the plunge and ask, why?
Legalities in some locations is one, at night it might be too much bling is two, resale value for the "stock" look if a potential buyer didn't want it is three and four is pure courtesy.... Would you want to be the poor schmuck stuck behind me and have to stare at that flashing thing all the way through a Dragon run?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Legalities in some locations is one, at night it might be too much bling is two, resale value for the "stock" look if a potential buyer didn't want it is three and four is pure courtesy.... Would you want to be the poor schmuck stuck behind me and have to stare at that flashing thing all the way through a Dragon run?

I watch the road myself.. lead car goes into the trees or down the side I'll still be on course..

Old 04-19-2015, 02:03 AM

Your 'one' is moot as cars are now being sold with this function already installed. It is why I bought and installed mine. I just cannot imagine a LEO giving anyone a hassle for giving an enhanced 'attention grabbing' alert that brakes are being applied.

I never considered a safety device as bling (two).

About three, I have seen literally hundreds if not over a thousand people buy a used car without regard to having it OEM in function. I think people like the car, negotiate the price, and drive off the lot with papers signed. Can you imagine hearing someone tell a dealer 'I'm sorry, I cannot buy your car because this third brake lamp isn't OEM and I will only buy a car with an OEM third brake lamp setup (nope, not me, nor a whole lot of others, I suspect).

Finally, number four, I wouldn't be a poor smuck behind anyone with a light that makes sure I see them braking. I point out I am not adding any additional lighting, just making it 'flash'. I would not be an advocate of adding more lights/lamps, and this device doesn't do anything like that. I would very much like seeing them brake, sometimes people don't even have working bulbs 'if' they hit their brakes. The most annoying, are those who power brake, not caring the people behind them would appreciate SOME FORM of notice they are slowing down rather quickly.

Finally, I can think of a huge amount of annoyances regarding others who aim their vehicle down a road, this simply would not fall into any of those categories, for me. Bottom line, if you don't like them then don't install it. If you do, install it the way you want too. We all tinker, we all do things that help attract more attention than what our little gems already gather. If it works for you, more power to ya. I never criticized, just wondered what would motivate someone to add the additional wiring/hardware (why). My only suggestion, when someone does 'add' additional switches/wires/modifications to their cars, just be sure to 'care' about the next owner and revert it back OR fully document that addition and include it in the owners manual and separately in the glove box/pouch, or whatever grabs the attention due the next owner. There are already a number of posts asking what this wire/tube/device/splicing/ect ect is and what does it 'do'. When someone goes samuri on their car/electrical system, it should be part of the process to restore it to its intended function when it is passed on, would you agree?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I watch the road myself.. lead car goes into the trees or down the side I'll still be on course..

You will be lured into a trance by the blinky lights and follow anywhere as if you drank the kool-aid.....

Old 04-19-2015, 01:05 PM

My only suggestion, when someone does 'add' additional switches/wires/modifications to their cars, just be sure to 'care' about the next owner and revert it back OR fully document that addition and include it in the owners manual and separately in the glove box/pouch, or whatever grabs the attention due the next owner. There are already a number of posts asking what this wire/tube/device/splicing/ect ect is and what does it 'do'. When someone goes samuri on their car/electrical system, it should be part of the process to restore it to its intended function when it is passed on, would you agree?
So you are all over installing the switch, aye? LOL! Enjoy!

I always wonder where the "what this wire/tube/device/splicing/ect ect is" questions come from because when I sell a car I tell any potential buyer all about it. I tell them any maintenance I would do next or any qwerks the car has. Like a P0410 code 3-4 times a year, stuff like that so it is not a surprise when they see it later. When I am on the buying side I ask what those little oddities are to hear it direct from the owner. I even ask if they have modded anything. I couldn't imagine buying it without asking. But you probably would expect that from a guy who gives you a list of reasons for a switch.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:51 PM

So you are all over installing the switch, aye? LOL! Enjoy!

Actually, I'm all for supporting folks who mod, whatever they want however they want. I may not like it, but who cares what I think (of what they do to their stuff?). A pet-peeve I have is when someone cuts/slices/splices wiring without any regard for someone who next owns it, that makes it quite a horror to troubleshoot a problem after the new owner buys it. Sounds like you do a great job in passing along this info to the next owner. Not everyone agrees with me, the forum is littered with examples of exactly this problem. I can feel for the guy who has the task of trying to figure out WHY something isn't working as its supposed to after they acquire it.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:14 PM

Was so enamored of the 2 pin polarized trailer connectors that I used on the flashing brake light that I ordered 10 more double ones.
I paid almost $10 at NAPA for the pair I used on the brake light, I just scored 10 of them from RockAuto for $1.29 each with $3 shipping.
No, I'm not crazy or obsessive, I still have 4 of the flasher thingeys to give to friends and I can now include the connectors.
I also have 3 float chargers that need them.
I am also working on under hood LED lighting for car shows, I can use one to connect it and disconnect it and tuck the 2 ends away when not in use.
This seems more sensible than installing a switch to me.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Just to be sure you know the single pole double throw switch will allow the flasher to work in one position then in the other position would allow the brake light to function as normal with no connectors to pull or covers to undo, right?

Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 PM

I can feel for the guy who has the task of trying to figure out WHY something isn't working as its supposed to after they acquire it.
Can you imagine for a moment the look on a mechanics face when he sees the piece of tape over the pin in the connector going to the TPMS light? No wonder internet forums are a bad word to mechanics if there is no indication of the mod to the new owner or a mechanic.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

I chased Andy all over the place during the Fall Dragon - never bothered me.

I put mine in yesterday - it DOES get people's attention - I have seen people fall back a bit in traffic the first time I hit the brake.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

You are a total class act.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM

Was so enamored of the 2 pin polarized trailer connectors that I used on the flashing brake light that I ordered 10 more double ones.
I paid almost $10 at NAPA for the pair I used on the brake light, I just scored 10 of them from RockAuto for $1.29 each with $3 shipping.
No, I'm not crazy or obsessive, I still have 4 of the flasher thingeys to give to friends and I can now include the connectors.
I also have 3 float chargers that need them.
I am also working on under hood LED lighting for car shows, I can use one to connect it and disconnect it and tuck the 2 ends away when not in use.

Hey George, You are quite the asset to this site, and I can only imagine how many other sites/avenues you belong to (helping others). You are always helping with direct posts/pictures, or posts, pictures, and parts! I am sure many who benefit do not take the time to post a well deserved accolade. If they don't (or forget), I don't mind doing it for them (and I know you don't need any posted thanks because that's just the way you are)!

I am so **** in regards to safety, and hope everyone who installs accessories/trickle charger harnesses, that they put an inline fuse on the cables/wires they connect to the positive buss of anything they wire in. I care not (really) if the thing installed doesn't have a fuse included in its kit. (full disclosure, I am not talking about adding things like the brake light flasher module, that circuit has any number of circuit protection devices back to the battery, I am talking about other accessories that people install that sometimes involves just finding a 'HOT' wire somewhere under the dash or hood. It mostly means those who tap directly to or before any other main/branch 'HOT' lead available (if you could just see some of the wiring I have seen over the decades) I live by the rule 'SAFETY FIRST' (yeah, I shout it from the highest). If anything was to happen, and someone got hurt or damaged anything, there just isn't too many things that could be said especially if someone got hurt. Especially if the cost to replace or make right was higher than they very inexpensive addition of said fuse holder. Just for an example, many years ago I watched (from a distance trying to intercede) a couple of people (men, but then again it could have been any combination) attempting to jump start a vehicle, by accidentally hooking up the jumper cables backwards to a running (new) pickup truck. The owner of the newer truck jumping the older P/U surely regrets being the one under the hood at the time. The guy attempting to 'start' his vehicle from that kind man couldn't figure out why his dash acted so funny before everything went blank. Of course, the running (jumping) vehicle went 'dead' and by then it was too late. Good intentions of course, but again that famous saying doesn't help does it? Smoke, melted wiring, and the tow truck for BOTH vehicles afterwards was so unnecessary (not to mention luckily no one got hurt by what could have happened). Modern vehicle electronics do not like direct shorts especially at the source of the battery, for sure! The facts were the owner of the vehicle being jumped had replaced the cables with whatever fit, and the red wire was the ground not the positive. I was watching all this (saw a thick red wire having a pigtail going to ground) and it was like a slow motion video when I saw the jumper cables going to connect up wrong (shouting 'STOP' did nothing, too little too late). I have seen the results of a vehicle battery explosion on people and property, NOT PRETTY! In this instance neither battery exploded, but enough damage was done to both vehicles (and nerves including my own because when that spark started I dove for cover). Accidents happen, they are sometimes unpredictable, otherwise they would be called 'on purposes'. Welding machines use less current to melt metals, than is available at the terminals of a vehicle battery. My only intent (here) is to shout out loud. SAFETY FIRST! All to many times complacency bites those who think it'll never happen to them. In the big scheme of things if one person heeds this post I would have done my due diligence. Happy mods to all! And, thanks again George, for being such a great contributor!

PS: (shhhhhhhh) I've been called crazy before, sometimes I actually believe it. Crazy is as crazy does huh?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:21 PM

George says "Thanks George", and I do intend to include an inline fuse on the under hood lighting. ( Already have that )
Are you going to Eureka Springs in June ?

Quick Reply: Roadster 3rd brake light flasher mounting