TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to set idle speed, etc.?

Old 04-29-2018, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to set idle speed, etc.?

My car idles rather low. 1) What is the standard idle speed, automatic in neutral? 2) Is there anything tricky about removing the engine cover? 3) Is there anything tricky about adjusting the idle speed?

I know all this info probably exists in the Forum but I can't seem to find it. I've seen reasons why the car my have a low idle but no info on adjusting it. Anyway not complaining, just never been in there and don't want to doing something stupid... Thanks

Old 04-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: How to set idle speed, etc.?

There is NO idle speed adjustment, all computer controlled. Normal idle speed is around 640 RPM, you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere.
To remove the cover, grasp both sides at the REAR and pull up, then gently pull up on the front. BE CAREFUL with the front passenger side, it will break.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Remember how to test for a vacuum leak:

1) Start engine
2) Drive car and warm engine up
3) Park car, do not shut off engine
4) Raise hood (I suggest using the release lever under the dash)
5) Observe the engine's idle speed and it's "smoothness" or lack thereof in idling.
6) Take oil filler cap off.

IF: the engine starts to run rougher than in 5) above, or if it seems to struggle a bit to maintain idle - that would be a sign that you have no vaccum leak because removing the cap creates a HUGE leak.
IF: the engine's idle does not change over what you saw in step 5) above, then you must have a pretty good leak if creating the huge oil-cap-off-leak does not make a noticeable difference!

Old 12-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,
When I had problem with my engine I got through and checking the vacuum hoses for leakages. I have some photos from it that maybe could be of help for you:
2005 years Chrysler Crossfire: Emission control system, page III

/Lars

Old 07-03-2020, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: How to set idle speed, etc.?

Originally Posted by Sterlin
My car idles rather low. 1) What is the standard idle speed, automatic in neutral? 2) Is there anything tricky about removing the engine cover? 3) Is there anything tricky about adjusting the idle speed?

I know all this info probably exists in the Forum but I can't seem to find it. I've seen reasons why the car my have a low idle but no info on adjusting it. Anyway not complaining, just never been in there and don't want to doing something stupid... Thanks
Hello,
The same issue is also happening to me now about the Idle speed.
Did you ever resolve what the issue was?
I am in Manchester, England and to get a mechanic to look at my car without pulling their face is very difficult for me.

Last edited by phenshall; 07-03-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Please read the entire string of posts you are posting to. Your question has already been answered.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Please read the entire string of posts you are posting to. Your question has already been answered.
Why bother to answer, your effort is wasted. I have basically given up answering threads that have answers and are years out of date.

The following users liked this post:
MFDXF (07-12-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
There is NO idle speed adjustment, all computer controlled. Normal idle speed is around 640 RPM, you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere.
To remove the cover, grasp both sides at the REAR and pull up, then gently pull up on the front. BE CAREFUL with the front passenger side, it will break.
And a great way to check for a vacuum leak is something I noticed one day.

Start engine, warm it to operating temperature.
Let the engine settle into idle.
Take oil filler cap off. The engine idle should drop and then speed back up, idle will get a bit rough, engine will shake somewhat. This confirms you have NO LEAK or very LITTLE leaking.

If you can take the cap off and there seems to be no effect, YOU have a VACUUM LEAK!

In any event, setting idle speed is like 'doing a tune up' - you cant, the ECM takes care of all of that while you drive. NONE of this is in your hands, emissions laws and the current technology have you locked out of making very many adjustments.
Of course, you can go to a tuner and get SOME stuff changed.....