TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Wanting to tint my brake lights...

Old 11-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to tint my brake lights...

Should I get them painted, or should I use this site: https://thecrossfirestore.com/Crossf...Light_Tint.htm

Has anyone use this sites tint? Can they tell me what they experienced? Thanks!

Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Wanting to tint my brake lights..

In my experience, it is better to let someone do it for you. First time I bought a "direct cutout fit" ended up being too small since you need additional film for edges/creases of the tail light. Many don't like the looks of it, I do. And make sure to put on some LED lights to make up for the lost brightness! Good luck!

Old 11-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor

EdwardB we're a little biased since it is our product. We would hope most everyone is happy with them since we haven't gotten any complaints so far. If you've never tinted any lamps before the install is a little tricky, but not terrible. Ours are slightly over-sized to compensate for the stretch factor and you would have to trim some excess off. We use either Lamin-x or Invisiguard material to do ours so they're a little thicker compared to others. Our also come with tints for the side markers included as well. If you're set on doing it, check out a local tint shop and see if they can give you a small sample piece of what they would do. You've also got the 'NightShade' option or some clear coat with a few drops of black in it works excellent as well. We appreciate that you thought of us and if you give us a shout to make the order we'll get you a little off the sales price!

Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCrossfireStore
EdwardB we're a little biased since it is our product. We would hope most everyone is happy with them since we haven't gotten any complaints so far. If you've never tinted any lamps before the install is a little tricky, but not terrible. Ours are slightly over-sized to compensate for the stretch factor and you would have to trim some excess off. We use either Lamin-x or Invisiguard material to do ours so they're a little thicker compared to others. Our also come with tints for the side markers included as well. If you're set on doing it, check out a local tint shop and see if they can give you a small sample piece of what they would do. You've also got the 'NightShade' option or some clear coat with a few drops of black in it works excellent as well. We appreciate that you thought of us and if you give us a shout to make the order we'll get you a little off the sales price!
I am unable to access your website. Is there are problem with it?

Old 11-14-2018, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor

Tom3120, it is up and running. I can't attest to yesterday when you were attempting to access it, but it is up and running right now. Please let me know if you continue to have an issue and we'll see if we can't help get it resolved for you!

Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 PM

I can't wait for them to arrive. I'm going to probably record the install and show case it for future inquiries like my own

Old 11-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Tom3120, it is up and running. I can't attest to yesterday when you were attempting to access it, but it is up and running right now. Please let me know if you continue to have an issue and we'll see if we can't help get it resolved for you!
yes I can access it now. Thanks

Old 11-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Wanting to tint my brake lights...

Originally Posted by EdwardB
Should I get them painted, or should I use this site: https://thecrossfirestore.com/Crossf...Light_Tint.htm

Has anyone use this sites tint? Can they tell me what they experienced? Thanks!
From 33 years of Firefighter experience talking and remember that this is just my opinion so do what you want to do. It is beyond anything that I can imagine why anyone would make their tail light darker, dimmer or in any way less observable. There are just too many situations that occur on a daily basis where if some one had seen the light sooner bad things wouldn't have happened. I would like to have brighter lights and more of them. I wish I had a dollar for every tinted tail light I saw on a smashed up car in the bright sun light, foggy day or night, snow or whatever. But you do you rant over.

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 11-17-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is illegal in many states to alter visibility of brake/tail lights. Also, window tint is likewise against the law but here in Pa. they don't usually hassle you if you use 25% or less tint.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

If it were me wanting to add some tint to the taillights, I'd use Lamin-X covers. Never used their product on the taillights, but the clear headlight covers for protection I've used on several cars.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 PM

They sent me the tint for the base model..

Old 11-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm okay with the factory tint with my Crossfire's brake lights just because it blends nicely with the factory paint color of the car but it would be nice to have brighter brake lights similar in intensity as my gen2 Chrysler 300c!

There are two numbers you want to focus on simultaneously if you want to stay legal after you apply lamp tint in AZ and that is the distance of 500ft and 100ft!

Although you you can do whatever you want because it's your car, I could not find a law that makes it illegal to have tinted tail lamps in your state. Just keep in mind that if you tint your brake light assembly and want to avoid a citation; Arizona requires two tail lamps to emit red light that is 'plainly' visible and 'understandable' from a distance of 500 feet (152.4 meters) when viewed from the rear, day or night. (sec 28-925) (before tint and after tinting). Not to be confused with the stop lamp, this is the one that stays on constantly when it is switched on with the headlights.

AZ also requires all 'stop lamps' to be operational and be 'plainly' visible and 'understandable' from a distance of
100 feet (30.48 meters) when viewed from the rear during daytime and nighttime. (sec 28-939) of the Arizona Revised Statutes vehicle code.
Disclaimer: As always, check with the authorities for any changes, updates and revisions of the laws in your state.

Likewise, 100 feet stop lamp visibility is also the requirement in my home state of Tennessee. A third brake light is not required here but we have them.

Last edited by MAGNATUDE; 11-25-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

[QUOTE=MAGNATUDE;915434]
I'm okay with the factory tint with my Crossfire's brake lights just because it blends nicely with the factory paint color of the car but it would be nice to have brighter brake lights similar in intensity as my gen2 Chrysler 300c!

There are two numbers you want to focus on simultaneously if you want to stay legal after you apply lamp tint in AZ and that is the distance of 500ft and 100ft!

Although you you can do whatever you want because it's your car, I could not find a law that makes it illegal to have tinted tail lamps in your state. Just keep in mind that if you tint your brake light assembly and want to avoid a citation; Arizona requires two tail lamps to emit red light that is 'plainly' visible and 'understandable' from a distance of 500 feet (152.4 meters) when viewed from the rear, day or night. (sec 28-925) (before tint and after tinting). Not to be confused with the stop lamp, this is the one that stays on constantly when it is switched on with the headlights.

AZ also requires all 'stop lamps' to be operational and be 'plainly' visible and 'understandable' from a distance of
100 feet (30.48 meters) when viewed from the rear during daytime and nighttime. (sec 28-939) of the Arizona Revised Statutes vehicle code.
Disclaimer: As always, check with the authorities for any changes, updates and revisions of the laws in your state.

Likewise, 100 feet stop lamp visibility is also the requirement in my home state of Tennessee. A third brake light is not required here but we have them.

[/QUOTE
Your statement is a bit ambiguous.
It is the tail lamps that come on with the headlights, they share the same two filament bulbs as the stop/brake lights. The stop lights comes on only when the brakes are applied.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-25-2018 at 10:10 AM.