TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Cupholder or Storage Bin

Old 06-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cupholder or Storage Bin

Has anybody had the TSB concerning replacing the sorry excuse for a cup holder into a storage bin done?

Could you point me to some pictures on how the storage bin looks like?

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Default Re: Cupholder or Storage Bin

My replacement is on order, but not yet shipped. My local deal is neither a 5 star nor a Crossfire dealer, but has one of the best service managers I've found. I mentioned the replacement to him and showed him the "cup holder". When we stopped laughing, he ordered the replacement. Even though the TSB states to replace if broken, he felt the current design is broken and ordered it.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:12 PM

Do you have any pictures of what this new storage bin looks like?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdosreis
Do you have any pictures of what this new storage bin looks like?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ht=storage+cup

Old 11-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Forum Regular

I love my cup holder, it holds my water bottle perfect. there is already a storage area right between the seats.
What do you who have switched out the "cup holder" to the storage bin use it for?
Do you find it irritating resting your arm on the open area of the storage bin? Versus the smooth lid of the cup holder.
Where do you keep your water bottle for hydration during your commute?
Has anyone considered a camel pack for long trips?
Can't think of any more silly questions.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 AM

Anyone know if the base '05 has a cupholder as standard equipment? Mine appeared to be missing when I bought the car new from the dealer. I asked the sales and parts departments about it and was told that they could not find a part number for it, so there must not have been one in the car.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree with Irafatsar. I actually like the cup holder. I think it is an innovative design that blends function with style. It's much nicer than than two-cup monstrosity that flips out of the SLK IMHO. The only complaint I have against it is that the plastic flexes a little too much. If I had the facilities, I'd machine one out of billet aluminum and add an electric motor to it so I could deploy the cupholder from a dash-mounted switch.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 05_XFire
Anyone know if the base '05 has a cupholder as standard equipment? Mine appeared to be missing when I bought the car new from the dealer. I asked the sales and parts departments about it and was told that they could not find a part number for it, so there must not have been one in the car.
the cup holder doesn't come with the base crossfire... just a black storage opening/cup.

some like the storage cup better... the cup holder breaks easily & pops up when you rest your arm on the console area. a few non-base owners have replaced their cup holder with the black storage insert.

but...you can add the cup holder to your base crossfire if you wish.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:57 AM
Smile Re: Cupholder or Storage Bin

Originally Posted by bobs
I have to agree with Irafatsar. I actually like the cup holder. I think it is an innovative design that blends function with style. It's much nicer than than two-cup monstrosity that flips out of the SLK IMHO. The only complaint I have against it is that the plastic flexes a little too much. If I had the facilities, I'd machine one out of billet aluminum and add an electric motor to it so I could deploy the cupholder from a dash-mounted switch.
That is an exceedingly good idea. My only complaint with it is that the two prongs in front don't get out of the way of an incoming cup/bottle quick enough. I've never had the thing popup when it wasn't wanted. And I'm not sure what it would take to break the thing. It is right in the way of the shifter, people with a stick must truly hate the thing.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atrius
My only complaint with it is that the two prongs in front don't get out of the way of an incoming cup/bottle quick enough.
You can make that easier with a little strategically placed WD-40 or similar light lubricant. However, you will still have to aim carefully when you put your drink into it. I have found that drink bottles that fluted bottoms like Diet Coke are a lot harder to position properly than those with straighter bottoms.

Originally Posted by atrius
It is right in the way of the shifter, people with a stick must truly hate the thing.
Actually, it stays out of the way quite nicely.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:59 PM

I ran the cable for my ipod and used padding to hold my ipod in the space. It holds in nicely and I control the ipod through my stereo. I have a stick and its not in the way.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_rccl
I ran the cable for my ipod and used padding to hold my ipod in the space. It holds in nicely and I control the ipod through my stereo. I have a stick and its not in the way.
You know, I was thinking of doing a similar thing. Any pictures of the install around?

Old 02-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Old 02-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Forum Regular

I got one of these and it works great. It's a bit shallow, but I've only had one "soda bomb" since putting it in last August. I'm thinking about using some velcro to hold it in and then even that danger would be past...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181

Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Unhappy Re: Cupholder or Storage Bin

Hi all,
Different problem with cup holder. Mine has worked fine but the last time it got used, it stayed flipped up and won't budge.
With all of you who have replaced it with the storage container, who can tell me how the spring was set up?
I'm thinking I should be able to slip a slim jim type of wire down with a bend in it and move the spring.
Any thought?

Thanks,

Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Exclamation Re: Cupholder or Storage Bin

I ordered the replacement bin for broken cup holder from Amazon at $48 with shipping and it does not fit, even after some 'cosmetic' compartment mods to attempt installation. Some help from Forum members would be appreciated. It cannot be that hard!!! GMan