U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Oh bother!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oh bother!!!

This morning I did the unthinkable...I creased my Crossfire. Whilst reversing in a tight car park, another car hadn't seen that I was backing up and pulled up behind me without me noticing rather than wait. Unfortunately there were no witnesses and it would probably be judged 50/50 anyway, but it means I now have a nice set of scratches, scuffs, cracks and a dent in the driver's side rear bumper. Given what I've heard from others in the club about the (lack of) availability of replacement bumpers, I'm not sure where that leaves me but I'll speak with my insurers on Monday.

What with that and the fact that I need a new foglight (cracked by a stone), a new headlight (letting in water everytime I wash the car), a new set of tyres and a car with rear seats, I'm beginning to think that it's time to change. I'm having a think about it...

Old 07-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Oh bother!!!

Originally Posted by lissxf
This morning I did the unthinkable...I creased my Crossfire. Whilst reversing in a tight car park, another car hadn't seen that I was backing up and pulled up behind me without me noticing rather than wait. Unfortunately there were no witnesses and it would probably be judged 50/50 anyway, but it means I now have a nice set of scratches, scuffs, cracks and a dent in the driver's side rear bumper. Given what I've heard from others in the club about the (lack of) availability of replacement bumpers, I'm not sure where that leaves me but I'll speak with my insurers on Monday.

What with that and the fact that I need a new foglight (cracked by a stone), a new headlight (letting in water everytime I wash the car), a new set of tyres and a car with rear seats, I'm beginning to think that it's time to change. I'm having a think about it...
Chris. Send me a pic of the damaged rear bumper and I'l see it it will repair

Jon

Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi chris..that sucks mate hope you can get it sorted ok, see you at picnic if your going...

Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Thumbs up Re: Oh bother!!!

Originally Posted by The bodyman
Chris. Send me a pic of the damaged rear bumper and I'l see it it will repair

Jon
Cheers Jon...I forgot that you were an expert on these things! I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow and send them to you via e-mail if you don't mind pm-ing me your e-mail address?

Thanks
Chris

Old 07-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by xfchris
hi chris..that sucks mate hope you can get it sorted ok, see you at picnic if your going...
Cheers Chris. May not get it sorted before Billing, but I'll be there anyway. Perhaps I should enter the car for Most Unique Mod?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:55 PM

Chris
Sad news about the damage..Bumper. Fog lamp and head lamps all currently for sale on ebay..maybe worth a look.

Cheers
UKK

Old 07-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont know if you`ve seen this chris might be of some help to get your parts for your car, i see mark has arranged for them to attend PITP so might be worth an email, look in club chat, new advertiser coming to PITP...chris
chryslerbreakers@aol.com

Last edited by xfchris; 07-17-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Thats bad luck Chris, hope you get it mended ready for Billing!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Bad new Chris, I did exactly the same to our car, I met a battered old Nissan Micra half way out of my parking space although the damage does not sound as bad as yours.

Strange thing is that the hatch and bumper on the Nissan were totally destroyed but all that happened to my wife's car was that the orange reflector popped out and I ended up with scrapes on the bumper. I took the car home, popped the orange reflector back in, got out the rubbing compound, gave it a coat of polish and after a bit of hard work it's hard to see where the impact was.

I have to say that I was amazed that considering the damage to the Nissan, our car came out almost unscathed. Guess I was luckier than you mate.

Best of luck with your repair, it would be sad to see you chip in your Crossfire, when I saw the car at Billing Aqua-Drome (the only meet I have been to because of family demands) it was immaculate.

What are you thinking about chipping the Crossfire in for?

Alan.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 AM

Chris

The cost involved to repair will save you loads of dosh in the long term? For like me, within months of selling my Xfire I relized what a big mistake I had made and purchase another.

Don't sell Chris, your miss the car and all the friends in the group.

Hope to see you at Billing.

UK Ken

Last edited by UK ken; 07-19-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Chris,
I went through the whole pain of a damaged rear bumper. I believe that they have started shipping, some of the folks in the U.S. have had them and photographed the box with shipping info from Karmann.

I've just spotted thispost on the forum and would welcome a PM to share my personal experience and hopefully offer some words of wisdom from my painful experience.

Get in touch and we can have a chat.

Paul

Old 08-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I was pretty gutted a few weeks ago but the car is now in for repair (cheers Jon ) and hopefully I'll have it back next weekend with a rear bumper that I can look at without feeling sad!!

Good to see everyone today up at Billing, even if I was without my car. Hopefully see some of you at the next gathering - there was some brief talk today about a southern meet, perhaps in September...

Old 08-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 572 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by lissxf
Thanks all for your replies. I was pretty gutted a few weeks ago but the car is now in for repair (cheers Jon ) and hopefully I'll have it back next weekend with a rear bumper that I can look at without feeling sad!!

Good to see everyone today up at Billing, even if I was without my car. Hopefully see some of you at the next gathering - there was some brief talk today about a southern meet, perhaps in September...
The headlight can probably be made water tight with a silicone bead run along the seal between the two halves. That's were they leak when you spray water on it or are in the rain.