U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rust

Looks ok can't really tell what they've done which I guess is what you want. Only bad thing is that I've now got a broken drivers door speaker cover so its phone call time tomorrow as it wasn't like it when it went in

Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muskrat
Looks ok can't really tell what they've done which I guess is what you want. Only bad thing is that I've now got a broken drivers door speaker cover so its phone call time tomorrow as it wasn't like it when it went in
Wow! You're kidding! I'd be furious! Hope they do the honourable thing. Good you got rid of the rust, though.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by antonio311
Guys.... I fully suggest that you actually WASH your wheel wells with an old sponge & soap once a year, especially on the inside lip where the fenders outline the wheels. The cleaner the better & always rinse your wheel wells during every car wash.
In the UK we have soo much salt on our roads, mud and rain - and its worse in the winter which is about 6 months of the year
When washing the car I Always run the hose pipe nozzle around the inner lip of rear wheel arches. If you run you fingers around it you will see how much corrosive mud is sitting there slowly eating the metal from the inside outl. If you can get it clean and dry (dry being unusual in UK) get some underseal in there asap!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:13 AM

I still think its caused mainly by poor design. A friend who runs his own bodyshop said that Mercs were having a lot of corrosion problems on certain cars due to the original metal not being up to standard. I don't know if the bodywork on the Crossfire came from the same source but it seems likely. As I said above older much cheaper cars are not suffering in the same way and I think its P*ss Poor that this relatively expensive car is not better protected. All cars have there faults but this is a bad one - its like being back in the 70's. Rust will devalue your car quicker than anything.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:24 PM

I still think its caused mainly by poor design. A friend who runs his own bodyshop said that Mercs were having a lot of corrosion problems on certain cars due to the original metal not being up to standard. I don't know if the bodywork on the Crossfire came from the same source but it seems likely. As I said above older much cheaper cars are not suffering in the same way and I think its P*ss Poor that this relatively expensive car is not better protected. All cars have there faults but this is a bad one - its like being back in the 70's. Rust will devalue your car quicker than anything.
Agreed 100% I suppose they view the USA as the biggest market where they dont get the corrosion we do. Thats why we import so many "rust free classics" back from California 40 years after they were made here

Old 12-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Agreed 100% I suppose they view the USA as the biggest market where they dont get the corrosion we do. Thats why we import so many "rust free classics" back from California 40 years after they were made here
You cannot say that California is typical of the US market, I would guess that the majority of US cars are driven in the 'rust zone' as the majority of the population live in it.
There are large areas in the US and Canada that see more salt and sand in a year than you see in ten and these cars rust like crazy, not like they did in the old days but they are still scrapped because of the rust rather than mechanical reasons.
That's why mine sits in the garage for four months or so and the doors still have a little rust at the bottom.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Yes I agree, the California vehicles seem to be spared the worst - but metal doesnt last forever if left to the elements. You are lucky to be able to garage it for so much of the year, its those folks who have to use their pride and joy as a daily drive that have all the extra cleaning to do!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 PM

They are cars. They are supposed to be outdoors, thats what they are for. In general in the uk I don't see lots of cars under 10 years old with rust. Having rusty doors even when stored indoors over winter just proves the point that these cars do not have sufficient anti corrosion protection. My father just traded in his 96 Neon for a 2000 Volvo - neither are rusty - in the Neons case incredibly tatty as my father believes in washing cars every 5 years whether they need it or not, but not rusty. A friend has a 93 Toyota - no rust.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 AM

They are getting me a new cover so I guess thats ok then. Made no attempt to wriggle out of it so that was good.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Bad News - the dreaded rust around the tailgate lock has sufaced .
Good News, Chrysler agreed to repair - not sure if will be a replacement or a repair, car booked in for early Jan.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bamp
Good News, Chrysler agreed to repair - not sure if will be a replacement or a repair, car booked in for early Jan.
Hi Bamp

If its a repair, make sure they strip the tailgate catch out because the rust can start from the inside.

Good luck
Jon

Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 AM

Hi! They gave me a new boot for exactly that problem. You can quote my replacement if you like.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:52 AM

Eric, What year is your car?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM

2006 06

I will be making sure they strip it out if they wont give me a new tailgate

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Eric, What year is your car?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 AM

I bet they do, you know. Somebody else on here got a new tailgate too. (Can't remember who now as I was new to the forum at that time.) Hatfields said it was just too difficult to treat the rust and was far easier to just put a new boot on. It took about a week to get the part in and was in for a couple of days. I wish I'd asked them for any left over paint for touch ups, though....you might want to ask It's worth being cheeky sometimes lol!