U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.
View Poll Results: Did i pay too much for my 1st XF?
Good Value: I would pay £6,999
0%
Bad Value: Pull out of the deal NOW
75.00%
On the Fence: Its 50/50
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

New Crossfire Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Crossfire Owner

Hi All,
Today i have provisionally bought my first Crossfire Roadster. I say provisionally because i haven't actually seen or test drove the car yet (purchased on eBay) however i have paid a small deposit via PayPal with the intention of settling the balance next weekend 1/2 October 2011 upon final inspection and ensuring everything is as described.

I have paid a lot of attention to older thread posts on this forum and enjoyed some of the lists members made to check for when buying a XF so will take this with me when picking her up.

I do have a couple of questions maybe other members can help with?

1. I Did a HPI of the vehicle and it shows owing finance
2. The car is currently on a private plate not included in the sale
3. Do the head lights look ok to you?
4. Did i pay too much?

Starting with the HPI! The seller admitted the car owes finance and plans to settle the balance upon cleared funds. My concern is trust. What is the typical process to handle a purchase under these circumstance? A friend suggested i pay the finance directly but wanted to learn by your experience?

The owner has her own private plate, currently attached to the car but also has the original plates ready to go on the vehicle the moment DVLA (Or whoever deals with this) confirms the transfer has complete. My question is if i need to wait for this to complete or am i missing something i possibly don't know that can speed up the process? How long does this usually take? Is it worth me visiting the car next weekend or should i wait until finished?

Im a little concerned by the headlights. I have attached a picture and wonder if this is something i should be looking deeper in to or normal?

Finally i know this might be a matter of opinion, however i am still interested in your views

Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 V6 Roadster
2005 (55)
Auto Gear Box
Black
3 Previous Owners
57,000 Miles
Service history:
10,900 - 26/07/2006 (Chrysler Dealer)
24,736 - 12/10/2007 (Chrysler Dealer)
48,264 - 30/03/2011 (Car Dealership)
MOT Due: March 2012 (6 months)
Tax Due: March 2012 (6 Months)
It boasts all of the usual standard equipment plus Xenon Lights (i assume these are extra) however i was a little disappointed not to find reverse parking aid, should i be?
Price £6,999.00

I raise the value question because i checked WhatCar.com and while i know this is not an official valuation provider its usually a good guide and the return Dealer price was 7,000 however the private price was 6,500
I did try to haggle with the owner to 6,500 (Car was originally listed for £7,699) but she did not budge from £6,999

Should i have been more patient? My trouble is finding a black roadster that is auto with less than 80,000 miles for a reasonable price, i know other colours exist but its the black i really prefer.

All of your help, comments and opinions very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails New Crossfire Owner-screen-shot-2011-09-25-22.49.32.png  
Old 09-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Smile Re: New Crossfire Owner

You may also check the paint, some black xf' s have a condition ,that looks like tiny white spec"s in the paint

and they will not come out. Probably a defect in clear coat. Best i was able to do was use black colored

wax. Just a temporary fix. New quality repaint 4000 to 6000 dollars They a very noticeable when you

wash and wax car. Couple of f eet from car you may not. be able to see them' GOOD Luck

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ack-paint.html

Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Crossfire Owner

hi mate..personally i would not buy a car with finance owing unless the owner lets you pay whats owing direct to the finance company, dont know how that works as have never done it...i would expect the owner to get the reg. transfer sorted before they put the car up for sale, the headlights are suffering from a common crossfire problem with condensation, dont know if anyone has successfully cured the problem although i think chrysler tried a fix some years ago..(hit the search tab and type headlight condensation) fortunatley mine has not suffered YET..but new lights are expensive and hard to come by...the car is not particually cheap considering the niggles you have with the finance, no. plate transfer, headlights etc. you hold all the cards i would try for a better price or walk away its a buyers market especially for a convertable as we are heading for winter, dont let yor heart rule your head there will always be another one coming up, all the best with what you decide....chris

Last edited by xfchris; 09-26-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:55 PM

hi there all!!reguarding the purchase of said vehicle i know previously girlfriend tried to sell her peugout and because outstanding finance the owner has to pay off before selling and reguarding private reg the owner can go to local dvla office to put back on original plates -owners cost 80gbp plus retention of 25gbp,looked at parkers guide and over priced sorry for being honest 9blaze red 04 plate 25000 spotless paint and runs superb coupe) my car

Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks everybody for the sound advice. Although i have not told the seller yet i am deciding to pull out of the deal. I feel the headlights steaming up is a headache i can do without in the future.

As a final thought everything seemed to go wrong with this deal.
Too expensive, High Milege, Too much hassle paperwork wise just to own the thing, a seller that appears very honest about the good bits but fails to mention the bad bits and we all like to deal with honest people.

Since writing this post i have found another crossfire that looks much more promising.

Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 V6 Roadster
2005 (05)
Auto Gear Box
GunMetal Grey
2 Previous Owners
37,000 Miles
Full Service history: (Last 3 years has only covered 9,000 miles)
MOT Due: March 2012 (6 months)
Tax Due: March 2012 (6 Months)
Full Car Cover (Ill find this useful in winter)
Price £6,950.00 (£50 cheaper)

I spoke with the owner who happens to also be a Land Rover dealer, this is his personal car and by the sounds of things hardly drives it and when he does its always a good run up the motorway so the car is being run in after being left idle.

I feel while i could negotiate a slightly cheeper price its possibly not worth it and sounds good value, especially compared to the previous car. I like the GunMetal grey 2nd to black but its still a great colour.

The only problem i now face is viewing it. Im located in Southport (30 miles north of Liverpool) and the new car is in Devon (5 hours drive, 6.5hours train), this is a costly round trip especially if made twice.
Once to view the car, another to collect the car.

Do we have any XF owners or experts in the Devon/Exeter area that would be willing to give it a once over, i will of course cover all costs and buy them a drink if i ever got to meet them. Ive read on the forums you guys don't mind doing this for the love of the XF community, and if anybody ever wants me to return the favour in my region im more than willing.

My intention is to have someone view the car, confirm it is as stated, pay for it and then arrange a 3rd party to deliver or maybe travel down myself. Would just prefer not to do this twice.

Any help as always appreciated, i may not be a owner yet, but its soon, i can feel it!

Thanks again

Last edited by Dearg; 09-27-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 AM

brings back memories of me buying my crossfire horsham sussex and i live in york n yorkshire have you thought of flying down to exeter from manchester flybe.com !!you could spend day down there and drive back if wanted!!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 AM

ps buy the way am not far from you 09/10/11 chester zoo have a blaze red coupe priv reg 25000 spotless,ir your in area can advise on what to look for

Old 10-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Forum Regular

7K for a 2005 seems a bit steep to me!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM

I would sit back and wait for something special - there are some low mileage cars around for £7K and loads of rubbish for much less money! Take a ride over to meet us at ADC Breakers, Oswaldtwistle on 22nd October. We can give you a heads up on things to look out for when viewing cars.
Steve

Old 10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would never buy a car without driving it or seeing it in the flesh. Also these prices you are talking about sound like garage prices not private sales - just keep your eye on Autotrader etc. I just checked and there are 57 Roadsters on Autotrader from £4500 - 12000 so quite a choice.