U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent starting problem

Hi, I have a 2005 Crossfire convertible. I the last few days I have had intermittent starting problems. The car starts perfectly, I drive it, park up, and then when i come back to the car it just will not start. The starter motor flies round but the car does not fire up. If I sit for 10-15 minutes then try again it starts, the engine warning light comes on and stays solid. Then the next time i start the car the light is off and all works fine. Even more odd is that this does not happen every time. When running the car is as smooth as it should be. I would appreciate any available advice as we are planning to come to our first UK Crossfires meet next week and I don't want to be the muppet left stuck in the car park.
Thank you
Mike

Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: intermittent starting problem

Crank positioning sensor or rcm soldering needed.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 AM

Same symptoms as mine a few weeks back. It was the Crankshaft position sensor. The diagnostic, part, and fitting cost around the £130 mark.

If this is the problem the bosch part is the one you need.

Cheers,

Pete.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Cps cps cps cps cps
bosch bosch bosch bosch bosch

Last edited by ala_xfire; 05-26-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 AM

THANKS guys, this car is turning into a black hole for my pension fund lol. Does the RCM interface with the heating and air conditionning system by any chance? I have another issue where I have no contol over the fan, it comes on randomly and sometimes it is imposssible to turn off and despite having paid a lot of money to have the hot water control valve changed I have no control over heat - it either blows ambient temperature or full heat.

By the way UKKen thinks he has a solutiuon to this one but and I planned to ask at the next meeting but with this particular motor its just one issue after another just now and I just may not be able to trust it to get me there and back.

Still it looks beautiful - I have been polishing it ready to meet its family Ha!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 563 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Uk Pete
Same symptoms as mine a few weeks back. It was the Crankshaft position sensor. The diagnostic, part, and fitting cost around the £130 mark.

If this is the problem the bosch part is the one you need.

Cheers,

Pete.
It definitely sounds like the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) we can buy Bosch ones here for around $50. Do not buy any other brand even if they are cheaper, they could be made in China and break just like they are made of china, a waste of money many times so do not take a chance on them.

Get the codes read and it should point you directly to the problem, the red light tells you that a code has been saved so get it read and find out the problem precisely.

With a few basic tools you can repair it yourself for nothing
.(click)

Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM

THANKS guys, this car is turning into a black hole for my pension fund lol. Does the RCM interface with the heating and air conditionning system by any chance? I have another issue where I have no contol over the fan, it comes on randomly and sometimes it is imposssible to turn off and despite having paid a lot of money to have the hot water control valve changed I have no control over heat - it either blows ambient temperature or full heat.

By the way UKKen thinks he has a solutiuon to this one but and I planned to ask at the next meeting but with this particular motor its just one issue after another just now and I just may not be able to trust it to get me there and back.

Still it looks beautiful - I have been polishing it ready to meet its family Ha!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Middleman4

I thought you had just said this. LOL Must be an echo.
RCM has nowt to do with the heater issue, that sounds like the resistor on the back of the switch.
Looking at your problems I see that UKken said he was going to PM you with a solution, did he help you at all?
Please put all your heating problems here in one spot and explain them clearly as possible. Start at the beginning.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:48 PM

UKKen was brilliant, he gave me his personal phone number and an invitation to call. Winter came and my car went into its garage and I let him go.

Here is how it goes.

Car began to blow hot air regardles of the position of the heater / air con / temperature controls. Heater fan was running slowly whenever the ignition key was turned. I am not interested in nor capable of maintaining my car so I took it to an auto electrics garage. They diagnosed that the hot water control valve had failed and they replaced it and I got cold and air con air but the fan was always running. Garage told me that was normal. The first time i called for heat it worked but i could notget cold air again. By starting the car with all heater controls set to cold I managed to get the system to blow ambient air which is as it is now. Heater controls do nothing. Subsequently the fan accasionally blows full force when thee ignition key is turned and I cannot switch it off until it decides its time to stop. As I only use the car in the sunshine with the hood down I have not prioritised this repair but now i have the non start problem I figured I should try to get both done - soon !!
Cheers
Mike

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I thought you had just said this. LOL Must be an echo.
RCM has nowt to do with the heater issue, that sounds like the resistor on the back of the switch.
Looking at your problems I see that UKken said he was going to PM you with a solution, did he help you at all?
Please put all your heating problems here in one spot and explain them clearly as possible. Start at the beginning.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM

Oh Bum,
I did the resolder on the RCM but it has made no difference. Again this evening I went for a lovely spin and parked up to go buy a few beers and when I got back it would not start. The engine turns over the electrics work fine but it just does not fire up. After about 30 minutes of sitting about and occasionally trying it starts and runs perfectly normally.
Anyone got any good ideas - we really do want to get to the meet on Sunday
Mike

Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM

Oh Bum,
I did the resolder on the RCM but it has made no difference. Again this evening I went for a lovely spin and parked up to go buy a few beers and when I got back it would not start. The engine turns over the electrics work fine but it just does not fire up. After about 30 minutes of sitting about and occasionally trying it starts and runs perfectly normally.
Mike
Has anyone mentioned the CPS before in this thread before? HINT. HINT.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM

Oh Bum,
Mike
Since you say "the engine turns over", then that is not the RCM, it is a CPS type issue.
And since you have repeatedly replaced the CPS, that then leaves the CPS harness / connector or possibly a Camshaft Position Sensor ( front right of the engine ).
It could also be an intermittent fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

If you can catch it in the state were it turns over but does not start, have someone do the ignition while you have a disconnected spark plug wire connected to a spare spark plug and laying on the engine block. See if the plug fires.
If it fires, then fuel issues, if not then electronic spark issues.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Since you say "the engine turns over", then that is not the RCM, it is a CPS type issue.
And since you have repeatedly replaced the CPS
, that then leaves the CPS harness / connector or possibly a Camshaft Position Sensor ( front right of the engine ).
It could also be an intermittent fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

If you can catch it in the state were it turns over but does not start, have someone do the ignition while you have a disconnected spark plug wire connected to a spare spark plug and laying on the engine block. See if the plug fires.
If it fires, then fuel issues, if not then electronic spark issues.
Where did he say this?
I must be missing something, I read this post three times.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM

Where did he say this?
I must be missing something, I read this post three times.
Oh Bum,
Mike
See the above RED BOLD TEXT

Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 PM

See the above RED BOLD TEXT
Engine turns over = CPS, maybe.
Engine does not turn over = RCM, maybe.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 PM

Engine turns over = CPS, maybe.
Engine does not turn over = RCM, maybe.
Always good to have positive reinforcement from you, Dave......
( But I suspect you may need a new reading glasses prescription )

Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Always good to have positive reinforcement from you, Dave......
( But I suspect you may need a new reading glasses prescription )
Please explain your reasoning on the red wording. He never once said he'd done the CPS, only soldered the RCM. Another earlier post by someone else said they had changed the CPS a few times.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 PM

Please explain your reasoning on the red wording. He never once said he'd done the CPS, only soldered the RCM. Another earlier post by someone else said they had changed the CPS a few times.
Seems I am the one that is in need of new glasses ( or I have lost too many memory cells ).
You are correct sir, that WAS in another post.
I get so confused at times, guess it's age.
My humble apology, what could I have been thinking

Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 PM

Seems I am the one that is in need of new glasses ( or I have lost too many memory cells ).
You are correct sir, that WAS in another post.
I get so confused at times, guess it's age.
My humble apology, what could I have been thinking
Been there, done that and I have the T shirt to prove it.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:19 AM

Dear friends,

In an attempt to try and make the Chatsworth meet I caved in and paid £40 for diagnostics. It's the CPS. I cannot get one today but at least I know now. Thanks to those of you that made that diagnosis before I spent the money ! And as a result of me choosing the easy job first I also have a beautifully soldered RCU too.

Have a great weekend.

Mike

Quick Reply: intermittent starting problem