radio ignoring all controls - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

radio ignoring all controls

Old 09-27-2016, 06:36 AM
Default radio ignoring all controls

Hi. First forum posting, so wish me luck. A couple of days ago the radio display showed a random selection of angled lines, but powered on and worked ok. Next time we used the car the radio came on with the ignition, but did not respond to any of the buttons, volume, anything. So it is now fixed on one station at a set volume that we can not change and we can not switch it off. Okay until it loses the radio signal, at which point we are forced to listen to the crackling noise. Help please. It's a 2006 Crossfire with the standard radio (as far as I'm aware).

Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Default Re: radio ignoring all controls

There are two fuses for the radio - pull them both. (Sorry, but the exact fuse varies by year, I found this out the hard way this summer). Both fuses are in the undershood fuse box, driver's side. Leave them out 15 seconds or more.

Alternatively, disconnect the battery ground cable for 1/2 minute.

When you power back up, it should restore it's brains. If not, it is done for - sorry. But many on this forum have upgraded to way better head units (myself for one!) and have the OEM radio sitting on a shelf in the basement. If you look, you CAN find one.

But do not overlook the idea of just upgrading to something newer. The Kenwood/JVC (and I think Clarion) marine radios are the same color as our dash and they sound WONDERFUL compared to the factory unit.

I put a JVC 660 in my car (it is discontinued), $80 at Best Buy and WOW did is enhance the sound in my car.
I had it wired up and installed in 1/2 hour.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Smile Re: radio ignoring all controls

Hi. Thanks for the speedy response. I forgot to say that I did try the time-honoured 'press the power button for 10 seconds' computer re-boot trigger with the on/off button, but to no avail. I will do what you say. I have read in the threads that there is no security code, which is good as ours came with no paperwork.
I had considered an upgrade to DAB with Bluetooth, but was put off by the need for a decent DAB aerial (wired) as DAB is very patchy where we live. I'll have a look at the makes you mention.
Thanks again. :-)

Old 09-27-2016, 12:22 PM

Yup, 100% success. Thanks. Must be the cheapest/quickest fix ever? :-)

Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by grahammrobert View Post
Hi. First forum posting, so wish me luck. A couple of days ago the radio display showed a random selection of angled lines, but powered on and worked ok. Next time we used the car the radio came on with the ignition, but did not respond to any of the buttons, volume, anything. So it is now fixed on one station at a set volume that we can not change and we can not switch it off. Okay until it loses the radio signal, at which point we are forced to listen to the crackling noise. Help please. It's a 2006 Crossfire with the standard radio (as far as I'm aware).
Response by Pizzaguy.
There are two fuses for the radio - pull them both. (Sorry, but the exact fuse varies by year, I found this out the hard way this summer). Both fuses are in the undershood fuse box, driver's side. Leave them out 15 seconds or more.

When you power back up, it should restore it's brains. If not, it is done for - sorry.

(This will go in the Index of Crossfire problems.)

Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post

When you power back up, it should restore it's brains. If not, it is done for - sorry. But many on this forum have upgraded to way better head units (myself for one!) and have the OEM radio sitting on a shelf in the basement. If you look, you CAN find one.

But do not overlook the idea of just upgrading to something newer. The Kenwood/JVC (and I think Clarion) marine radios are the same color as our dash and they sound WONDERFUL compared to the factory unit.

I put a JVC 660 in my car (it is discontinued), $80 at Best Buy and WOW did is enhance the sound in my car.
I had it wired up and installed in 1/2 hour.
This is a great DIY Tech Help procedure!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by grahammrobert View Post
Yup, 100% success. Thanks. Must be the cheapest/quickest fix ever? :-)
I"m pretty cheap and quick. It''s not always described as a positive thing............

Old 05-24-2017, 07:17 AM

Worked for me. My FM 'disappeared' but now all is well

Old 05-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Talking Re: radio ignoring all controls

Worked for me. FM 'disappeared' but now all is well

Old 08-31-2017, 05:18 PM

you guys are good, fixed my problem with radio thanks.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:16 PM

I had that to happen after my car went in the shop... I pulled both radio fuses in the fuse box under the hood/bonnet, on the left side. Put them back and the radio rebooted and was fine again. /this was 6 months ago.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 PM

We are very lucky, a Merc SLK of the same years with premium radio requires about $700 in "stuff" to add Bluetooth. Ours just need a $100 head unit and some $10 adapters from Amazon.