Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Baby's got new shoes

Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Baby's got new shoes

Originally Posted by XFire Woodie
Pete, I got 26K on the Conti's. Rears were down to the wear bars. Fronts still had 4k left in them but I changed them anyway to reduce PITA factor.

Ben, We had lunch in Ouray and then drove over to Telluride for the night. More running around tomorrow.

The F1's as mounted had a very slight vibration to start with. Other low profile HP tires I have had did the same but smoothed out after a few hundred miles and these did the same. The first 500 miles were interstate or fairly straight roads with few curves or lateral G's. They were quiet and tracked well but wanted to walk a little in the deep "trucker's trench" on I-40. More of a complaint of the road than the tire. The drive from Durango on gave me a chance to try the tires in the curves. I was very happy with the neutrality of the tires and handling. I had to try pretty hard with the throttle to break the back end loose a little. My XFire is a Limited and not an SRT so overwhelming the tires takes a little effort. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination but they were very confidence inspiring. Incidentally, I use a GPS and the speedo matched the GPS exactly on the interstate so the diameter is right on. They really look good on the car and I have about $950 in them including shipping from Tire Rack. They had to ship from two warehouses (Shreveport, LA and Atlanta, GA) as the rear tires were not in stock in LA. Will be happy to try to answer any specific questions if I can.

John
Do you have any pictures?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tulsa,

Do mean pictures of the cupping, or from the trip last summer referred to in the post you quoted? That trip to Colo. was last summer after I put the F1's on. The recent post refers to the cupping that I have gotten recently.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 AM

Ive got the A/S and they have about 7500 on them and look like when they were bought. Not probs whatsoever!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I hate to say it, but when you buy this type of tire, expect 20-28k at best if you drive it hard at all. They aren't designed for the family ride. All the years I spent in law enforcement, we would go through tires in a 12-15k range because of severe duty, now I have trucks, we get 80K on steering 120K on drives, so look at rubber compounds, design, rating of tires you buy...then add in mods, wear and tear, shocks, springs, and yes, chuck holes, and you are now looking at alignment, tire balance, air pressure (which changes daily)...tires get neglected by most of us...our preventive maintenance is pressure check every week, alignment every year along w/ tire balance...sooner if indicated by wear or driveability...

Old 07-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Thumbs up Re: Baby's got new shoes

I went with the Potenza very nice ride and handling . Took off the Contnenl tires it had on with front end alignment, and what a ride . Thought I liked to drive it before, now what very good ride .

Old 07-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by XFire Woodie
Just had some Goodyear F1's mounted today. Heading out from OK to Durango, Telluride, Aspen and home for the next five days. I will try to report daily about the new shoes and their behavior.
I envy you Woodie, that drive you're about to take is awesome! There's a bar in Durango called Skootin Blues, check it out if your there overnight. Lot's of gray haired friendly bikers from Texas and great bands.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I hate to say it, but when you buy this type of tire, expect 20-28k at best if you drive it hard at all. ...
Yeah, I'm afraid your right on the mileage. They're too damn expensive for their longevity. I just bought some of the General UHPs but havn't had em mounted yet. Report soon.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 PM

I have the F1 A/S with 7k and I am getting rid of them. Scalloping, cupping whatever, they are doing it. My Conti's never did this and I am still driving the same way. Had my mechanic and Chrysler check out the car. Everything is fine, it's the tires. They have gotten very noisy also. As one reviewer on the Tire Rack site states, the noise sounds like I have studded tires on. It's really bad at low speeds.

I loved the tires when I first got them. Excellent rain handling, no doubt about it. They were a little rougher riding at first and that smoothed out. Then this started.
I am looking at getting another set of tires. My husband hates the noise of these tires!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM

See my last post here:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ote=1&p=262929