Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

I change mine at 32,000 and I love it. I am very fussy about my car and try to take good care of it. One problem with my Crossfire my daughter wants it. I almost gave it to her but the wife said NO. Maybe later down the road.Sure glad she said no because I can't say no to her.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by psuperti
Mine is defective, warned out. It's been 18,000 miles on since me last change. Someone please guide me to the best of the best part, please. Total miles 56k on 2004.
As cheap as the part is, I've always replaced mine @ every other oil change. I do 10K oil change intervals, so she gets a new damper every 20K!

Go to link below and take your pick. I believe the OEM is the Stabilus, but I prefer the Bilsteins....

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Ben...ering%20damper

Last edited by syfi; 03-20-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:58 PM

Yes I check the box Mine came and on the box "Made in China" I don't care for that. But it did improve the steering. Where did you get your Bilsteins Stabilizer for your Crossfire. What did it cost if you don't mind telling me. 99 percent of parts you buy are made in some other country today.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh yes no let's stickwith high grade parts. Thx will try bilsteins.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kstewart
Yes I check the box Mine came and on the box "Made in China" I don't care for that. But it did improve the steering. Where did you get your Bilsteins Stabilizer for your Crossfire. What did it cost if you don't mind telling me. 99 percent of parts you buy are made in some other country today.
Click the link in my previous post right above yours. That's where I buy mine. Buy 2 ea and get Free Shipping...

Old 03-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by syfi
As cheap as the part is, I've always replaced mine @ every other oil change. I do 10K oil change intervals, so she gets a new damper every 20K!

Go to link below and take your pick. I believe the OEM is the Stabilus, but I prefer the Bilsteins....

Thanks for posting the link, I just purchased the Bilstein as well. I thought I saw something about a lifetime warranty on the Bilstein, during the checkout process. I'll have to double check though.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:49 PM

FCP has a great lifetime warranty policy an all parts they sell, even if the manufacture does not. I have used it on a steering stabilizer after 4 years, no questions asked, sent me a new one, no return of the old one. I have also bought a Bosch fuel pump, and inter cooler pump with the same warrenty. You can't beat it.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

10K oil changes? I do mine at 3 to 4,000 miles and I have not changed the damper yet. I am at 32,300 miles.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
10K oil changes? I do mine at 3 to 4,000 miles and I have not changed the damper yet. I am at 32,300 miles.
Yup, and that's year round driving in Florida. 2003 SLK manual states that the oil change interval for same engine is 13K. Last 5 changes @ 10K were sent in for analysis and came back pristine; could probably get another 3-5K more, but 10K seems very reasonable. Hey, it is synthetic oil so extended changes are the norm. Saves ALOT of money in the long run to boot.
Also, at around 20K the front end starts to wonder and track, so I change the stabilizer and all is good. 05 N/A Limited now has 110K and still drives like new. She's been fed only Liqui Moly Leichlauf High Tech 5W-40 oil for the last 70K

Last edited by syfi; 03-22-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Golly ! That Liqui Moly MUST be very special stuff, it even ignores Newton's Law.
5 liters weighs only ONE pound !
From
Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2041 Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Liter Jug: Automotive Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2041 Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Liter Jug: Automotive
:

Old 03-22-2016, 06:48 PM

Hey Syfi,

Thanks for steering me (no pun intended) to FCP. I ordered two Bilsteins yesterday afternoon based on your recommendation and they both arrived at noon today! I just finished installing it and it made a world of difference. As an FYI, the stabilizer that I replaced had 30k on them.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Golly ! That Liqui Moly MUST be very special stuff, it even ignores Newton's Law.
5 liters weighs only ONE pound !
Liqui Moly has been the best selling motor oil in Germany for the last 5 yrs straight. #1 rated with the Audi & Porsche geeks!

Old 04-09-2016, 01:58 PM

ebay $23.20 includes shipping, can't beat this. Also part is from Germany, not China. Now to find someone to install it. Thanks for a great post of info!!

Old 04-09-2016, 11:49 PM

Oh you can change this part out yourself ! If I can do it so can you ! You might have to turn your wheels to get it on ! Made it easier to install for me ! Not a hard job !

Old 04-10-2016, 04:15 PM

Thanks for your message Ed. I stopped by a repair shop yesterday, they quoted $60 from $110. When I came back, they said come back Monday. Done with them. I looked under the CF when I got home, can't see anything because of ground clearance. I'm sure I could mechanically swap the part, it's the inability to easily get under the CF. I'd have to borrow some ramps……….I may call my other repair guy who should be cheaper than the $60. Can't wait to have tighter steering!

Old 04-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Ramps are cheaper than $60, BUT ! They are not considered "safe" if you are crawling under the car.
I jack the rear end up by the differential and place 2 jack stands on the rear jack points.
Then I can jack up the front on the crossmember behind the engine and place 2 more jack stands on the front jack points.
One of these days I'm gonna get one of those floor lifts when I find an extra $1600 lying around :
http://www.derekweaver.com/rodders-g...mid-rise-lift/

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-10-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:17 PM

I bought a good pair of plastic ramps at Menards they are low profile so I can get the crossfire , my Stang & my sons Trans Am up on them no problem ! Light & easy to store away too ! Sold my old steel ones at garage sale !!! You can do this just go on here & see instructions how to do very easy to do ! If I remember right I just raised car on one side with big jack & stand ! Then turned the wheel to get new one on !

Old 04-22-2016, 03:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my steering stabilizer (damper) two weeks ago about £27 from autodoc.co.uk. The part I bought is a Bilstein which I thought (knew) would possibly be the best.

The symptoms where: Steering stiffening up like A LOT while turning at very low speeds below 10 MPH, Car tramlining a hell of a lot, steering wheel moving freely from side to side on poor roads but without causing much or any play at all on the car.

After replacing the steering wheel damper all symptoms are gone, I am much more confident in the handling of the car now. The car still tramlines a bit but that's expected with the wide wheels and VERY, VERY poor roads in the UK, probably the worst roads in the western world.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:24 AM

Unless I'm working suspension related or anything that requires tire removal, I utilize my RaceRamps. I own (4) 4" blocks and (2) 8" blocks, which have load rating of 1,500 lbs. each. They also work great for storage, since they have a radial cut for the tires. The plus side, you can stack them in any configuration, which is nice. They are 12" square, plenty of tire contact surface. I'll even use a combination stacked under my vehicles if utilizing a jack stand as a safety block, in the event a jack stand seam weld should ever fail. Safety first! I bet all 6 blocks I own, weigh less then 10 lbs. total, which make them easy for transporting, or storage.

This photo is one 4" RaceRamp.

Last edited by Power Sedan; 04-22-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:47 PM

I changed mine, big difference as described. Never knew the term tramlining but now I know how that steering condition is defined. Thanks to the Dragon meet a few weeks ago and thanks to forum for the information related to the steering damper.

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.