Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Ok, just saw this post took the car into Firestone to get a nail out of the rear passenger tire and since was there they decided do do a complementary alignment. Stated the following on the repair order as recommended:
Remove and replace front center link labor $111 and center link assembly $587.99, alignment $79.99 for grand total of $778.98, told them no thanks. I would assume this is the same part as eberyone has replaced above correct?

Old 03-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mariontr
Ok, just saw this post took the car into Firestone to get a nail out of the rear passenger tire and since was there they decided do do a complementary alignment. Stated the following on the repair order as recommended:
Remove and replace front center link labor $111 and center link assembly $587.99, alignment $79.99 for grand total of $778.98, told them no thanks. I would assume this is the same part as eberyone has replaced above correct?
Double post.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-14-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Amazing how something they say they do for free could end up costing you a goodly amount of dollars.
The center link is not the stabilizer, I think it attaches to the steering box. I could be wrong but the stabilizer attaches to it I think. I’ll have to look it up.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Center link assembly from FCPEuro is $170 and it IS where the steering stabilizer attaches.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Center link assembly from FCPEuro is $170 and it IS where the steering stabilizer attaches.
Sorry all about the double post onehundred80, ala_xfire thanks for the link. How difficult to install? Worst case could pay the $110 labor and order the stabilizer and this center link and have them install. If not to difficult then could do it myself

Old 03-14-2018, 07:34 PM

Separating the 4 tapered connections can be a pain unless you have the proper tools.
$110 labor is quite reasonable, but you will also need an alignment when the work is completed.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM

Thanks ala_xfire, yes for $80 for alignment $110 labor plus 170 and $30 for stabilizer saves some $$$

Old 03-14-2018, 10:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my drag link in about 2hrs. You can get the tierod removal tools on loan, from O'Riley's auto parts. It's the small puller. Most loaner programs charge you the full amount for the tool ,then refund it when returned. If i remember , it's only $20. (Broke mine, doing something i shouldn't have w/ it..lol) . Get the touqe specs. for the nuts. Make sure not to get grease into the receiving points, wiping them out with a rag. You can set the tierod ends with a tape measure , ONLY just to get you to the alignment shop....

Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry all about the double post onehundred80, ala_xfire thanks for the link. How difficult to install? Worst case could pay the $110 labor and order the stabilizer and this center link and have them install. If not to difficult then could do it myself
Order the steering stabilizer from FCP Euro also. Get the Bilstein....

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...mper-18-140651

Old 03-15-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by syfi
Order the steering stabilizer from FCP Euro also. Get the Bilstein....

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...mper-18-140651
Something wrong with the Lemforder ?????

Old 03-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Received 518 Likes on 413 Posts

Something wrong with the Lemforder ?????
Not sure you're talking the same part. You referenced the new center link from Lemforder, which is a good supplier. And syfi is referring to the steering dampner. From my perspective, replacing the steering dampner is a routine PM task, probably every 2-3 years depending on driving style & habits. It is a throw-away part, cheaply built and cost reflects that, no matter which supplier you choose (the exception being a Mercedes-Benz part , which is priced outrageously high!). Changing the steering dampner every 2-3 years is cheaper than doing an oil change.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Not sure you're talking the same part. You referenced the new center link from Lemforder, which is a good supplier. And syfi is referring to the steering dampner. From my perspective, replacing the steering dampner is a routine PM task, probably every 2-3 years depending on driving style & habits. It is a throw-away part, cheaply built and cost reflects that, no matter which supplier you choose (the exception being a Mercedes-Benz part , which is priced outrageously high!). Changing the steering dampner every 2-3 years is cheaper than doing an oil change.
Right. I had misread your post. Never mind.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
I replaced my drag link in about 2hrs. You can get the tierod removal tools on loan, from O'Riley's auto parts. It's the small puller. Most loaner programs charge you the full amount for the tool ,then refund it when returned. If i remember , it's only $20. (Broke mine, doing something i shouldn't have w/ it..lol) . Get the touqe specs. for the nuts. Make sure not to get grease into the receiving points, wiping them out with a rag. You can set the tierod ends with a tape measure , ONLY just to get you to the alignment shop....
How difficult was it to remove the tie rods ends (some say difficult), looking at a you tube it seems only two tie rods ends but in the post I saw a mention of 4. I'm stuck on debating if 110 for labor it worth it or spend the aggravation with the tool to remove?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:09 PM

It is 4 - 2 tie rob ends, the idler arm connection and the steering arm connection.
Never done it myself on this car ( yet ) so can't comment.
I HAVE done it on other cars, no big deal with the right separator tool.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:50 PM

It is 4 - 2 tie rob ends, the idler arm connection and the steering arm connection.
Never done it myself on this car ( yet ) so can't comment.
I HAVE done it on other cars, no big deal with the right separator tool.
Ok, then spend the $$$ on labor and get it done as I don't like surprises

Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's 4 connections , both tierod ends (at wheels) , 1 for the pitman arm an 1 more at the idler arm. Then the steering dampener attaches to the drag link with a bolt an nut. About the trickest part is turning the wheels in the right position to get that bolt in. About 5 mins. of head scratching. Then once you get it , you'll think "boy, I was overthinking that"...

Old 03-20-2018, 01:53 PM

Thanks Steve Jr., well the saga continues, Firestone will not install parts because not their parts...oh well, found a Mercedes Benz repair shop that would do it but have to see the car first and give me a quote on the labor. The parts should be here today for the center link and Thursday for the stabilizer. Said it should take no more than 3 hours...

Old 03-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Received 518 Likes on 413 Posts

Thanks Steve Jr., well the saga continues, Firestone will not install parts because not their parts...oh well, found a Mercedes Benz repair shop that would do it but have to see the car first and give me a quote on the labor. The parts should be here today for the center link and Thursday for the stabilizer. Said it should take no more than 3 hours...
Make sure you inform the M-B shop that the Crossfire is nothing more than a M-B R170 Rolling Chassis & DriveTrain with a Chrysler-designed body. They should be very familiar with replacing the center linkage & steering dampner on the R170 chassis, if they truly are a reputable M-B service shop.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Ok, what to give the group an update the steering link and stabilizer installed with alignment for $200. Could not be happier with the shop.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, ive just read this thread, found it very interesting, as i have had some issues with my steering, i have just had new tyres fitted and the tracking checked, it was perfect, i then checked every joint in the steering system, found nothing wrong, decided i would take the steering damper off and check its movement, it has no damping effect whatsoever lol, no sign of leaks either, got a new one feels very firm, fitting to the car was very easy.

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.