Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Inept wheel shopper seeking guidance.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inept wheel shopper seeking guidance.

Well, I, like many others am shopping for new rims. The question I'd like to pose is how wide can we go with the rear wheels without major modification? I'd like to go to a 19x10.5 or 11 but I'm not familiar with what that would entail. At one point I owned a VW gti and had seen people who put four of the front rims off of a gallardo on theirs and I remember thinking it was a shame the rears wouldnt fit because I love the stance of a car with those fat rims and I think it would be perfect with are wide rear fenders. It would complete an already almost flawless rearend.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Re: Inept wheel shopper seeking guidance.

Originally Posted by Bryce
Well, I, like many others am shopping for new rims. The question I'd like to pose is how wide can we go with the rear wheels without major modification? I'd like to go to a 19x10.5 or 11 but I'm not familiar with what that would entail. At one point I owned a VW gti and had seen people who put four of the front rims off of a gallardo on theirs and I remember thinking it was a shame the rears wouldnt fit because I love the stance of a car with those fat rims and I think it would be perfect with are wide rear fenders. It would complete an already almost flawless rearend.
Use this:

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

It will come in VERY handy.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Inept wheel shopper seeking guidance.

I have 9.5 inch wide rims in the back, I suspect that 10 inch wide would not be a problem, but after that you are going to start getting VERY close to things.

Check the inside clearance on the stock rims and you can figure out how much wider to the inside you can go without hitting anything.

CAUTION: If your tires are wide and the rims are close to the inside you will probably run into the tire rubbing problem I had before I put 4mm spacers on the back. The upper inside of the wheel well was being rubbed by the tire at full articulation. (when I say inside, I mean inboard of the wheel)

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 PM

Ok, so if I understand this correctly the backspace or the distance between the mounting pad and the inside of the tire is really the important measurement. If it increases too much you'll need spacers. Correct? Is there a limit to the spacers? I mean I know that at a point the wheels will be sticking out farther than the fender which no one wants but other than that is there a limit as far as safety or just overall practicality?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 AM

im running 255/35/20s but I believe I could clear 275/35/20s
My wheels are 10 inches wide in the rear and 8 in front. The front is harder to clear than the rear I believe.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by caughtNthexfire06
im running 255/35/20s but I believe I could clear 275/35/20s
My wheels are 10 inches wide in the rear and 8 in front. The front is harder to clear than the rear I believe.
The front im going to leave the current dimensions on, it's the rear I'd like to make wider.