Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

measuring wheel bolts!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default measuring wheel bolts!

when measuring for new bolts; is the measurement taken from the threads or do you measure the entire length of the bolt ( end to end)? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: measuring wheel bolts!

From the base of the bolt, not the Head just the shaft.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

when ordering i measure the total length (bolt head) to find which one i need i remove a stock wheel ,,stick a lug bolt threw ir and measure how much sticks through,, the do the same with the new wheel to find how long or shorted i need from stock length, aftermarket wheels uses taper lug bolts stock uses ball type lug bolt, see the pic. EDIT ((( sorry i ment to say measure the shank,,from the bottom of the taper to the end of the bolt)))
here is a stock and a aftermarket both are the same length one has ball .. the other has taper.
lugbolt1001.jpg
lugboltsizes003.jpg I can get lug bolts either taper or ball my cost is 3.50 ea. jim
crossfirewheelandlug006.jpg

Last edited by amx1397; 03-03-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks FP' I knew you would know! You're still my hero! Just setting the bar high!

James
Originally Posted by FP
From the base of the bolt, not the Head just the shaft.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Forum Regular

AMX.........thqanks for your input as well. I appreciate the pics; even though the middle one with all the bolts could lead to a bit of confusion. Bottom line.............I just need to measure the entire shaft (threads and shank) to determine the length of a bolt. To get the size I need......just stick the original through the rimm being used and add the mm's of the spacer to thatnumber and you should have the right length! That was easy!!!1

James
Originally Posted by amx1397
when ordering i measure the total length (bolt head) to find which one i need i remove a stock wheel ,,stick a lug bolt threw ir and measure how much sticks through,, the do the same with the new wheel to find how long or shorted i need from stock length, aftermarket wheels uses taper lug bolts stock uses ball type lug bolt, see the pic.
here is a stock and a aftermarket both are the same length one has ball .. the other has taper.

I can get lug bolts either taper or ball my cost is 3.50 ea. jim

Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Forum Regular

Ok Guys and Gals,

Here is a great site for ordering wheel bolts at a great price. the site is Tulip City Wheels:Wheels, Rims, Tires:Car Wheels, chrome wheels:Custom Wheels, Factory Wheels, Replica Rims Check it out and hope this solves bolt acquisition issues! Thanks for you help!

James

Originally Posted by jediracer
AMX.........thqanks for your input as well. I appreciate the pics; even though the middle one with all the bolts could lead to a bit of confusion. Bottom line.............I just need to measure the entire shaft (threads and shank) to determine the length of a bolt. To get the size I need......just stick the original through the rimm being used and add the mm's of the spacer to thatnumber and you should have the right length! That was easy!!!1

James

Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amx1397
when ordering i measure the total length (bolt head) to find which one i need i remove a stock wheel ,,stick a lug bolt threw ir and measure how much sticks through,, the do the same with the new wheel to find how long or shorted i need from stock length, aftermarket wheels uses taper lug bolts stock uses ball type lug bolt, see the pic. EDIT ((( sorry i ment to say measure the shank,,from the bottom of the taper to the end of the bolt)))

I can get lug bolts either taper or ball my cost is 3.50 ea. jim
What kind of spacers are those? I see they have the 5 pins to align themselvs to the wheel. I'm having a hard time choosing the right spacers now, I definitly need something that is hubcentric, and about 5mm per side.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those arent alignment pins.... he drilled, tapped and bolted the spacer to his wheel.....

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I see. That is impressive.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 PM

anything over 15-20mm with a spacer its generally advised to run a bolt on, as the stud length with slip ons gets so long that it can cause a wheel bolt/stud failure. but its definitely a more secure and easier design. Especially with us having wheel bolts, getting the spacer to stay in place while you line up the wheel can be a complete PITA