Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

tire rubbing

Old 04-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire rubbing

My right tire rubs against the plastic wheel well shroud. For some reason the shroud bowes out in the middle just a little bit. I can push it back, but it just pops back out (similar to the freshness sealed tops on jars after it's been opened). I think it's just been sitting out of whack for so long, that it wants to go back to that position rather than it's normal position. Anyways, outside of replacing the shroud, if that's even feasible short of finding one in a junk yard, does anyone have any ideas on how I can get it to stay in place?

Thanks,

dh

Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: tire rubbing

Been done there and done that.

Skill level 3c. I.E. three bananna problem.

If your comfortable with working with your hands heres the deal.

Pop off the wheel and have car safely raised.

Get a heat source, heat lamp or my favorite FIRE a propane torch and warm up the offending part. GENTLY AND SLOWLY, NO HOT JUST WARM WARM LIKE 150 DEGREES LIKE HOT COFFEE.

When warm, grab a big towel that is DRY and push the part into shape and hold with your hand till you GET TIRED. When tired, you can take the towel down to examine the results.

Were talking about the black flimsy fender shroud assembly, just to be sure that were on the same page.

I did this to get more clearence for the tires while autocrossing. Enjoy and let me know how it works out.

BEE SLO AND DONT RUSH IT OR OVERHEAT IT you can do it more than once if you want more CORRECTION>

Woody

Old 04-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tire rubbing

Originally Posted by waldig
Been done there and done that.

...Were talking about the black flimsy fender shroud assembly, just to be sure that were on the same page.

Woody

Exactly, that's sorta what I was thinking, heat gun or something. I'll see what I have at my disposal. I suppose I could just turn the wheel hard left to give room and go from there, if it allows enough space for the... butane torch maybe?!? I'll have to see what I can dig up that will heat a large enough cross section easily so I can bend it back into shape.

Thanks!!

dh