Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Driving impressions with cut srt springs

Old 05-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving impressions with cut srt springs

I've had the cut springs on my limited for about 4,000 miles now so I figured I'd post up my thoughts.

Compared to stock suspension, its so much better. With the stock springs, the car felt unsure though hard corners and had a tendency to wander down the highway. Also, the stock springs are just way too soft for anything other than spirited city driving.

I picked up my springs from bhayes, as well as 1 dot spring pads all the way around. I removed a coil from the front and a coil and a half in the rear. I wanted to see just how low I could get the car and still keep it drivable. I ended up making custom polycarbonate shims for the front spring pads to get the ride height where I wanted it.

The car with the srt springs is an entirely different animal. It feels firm, planted and confident. Turns/exit ramps I was afraid to take at 65 I can now take at 90 flat out and the car seems to ask for more. Gone is any sign of body roll. The car will take any turn at speed and remain flat. The car also tracks straight down the highway now, it doesnt want to wander with every groove. This is mostly attributed to the increased negative camber im running front and back. This car seems to love large amounts of negative camber.

Its a little bit harsh on the highway, you feel every bump and ripple in the road. Car has a more direct feel with the ground. Bridge expansion joints are evil though.

As far as the srt spring rates go. The rear is spot on but the front is still a little loose/bouncy for my taste. The fronts could probably use another 75-100lbs of spring rate for my driving style. I can say for 100 bucks and a few weekends of my time, I'm pretty happy with the springs at the moment. I was going to get some spring blocks to bump the spring rate in the front a little bit and see how I like it.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Driving impressions with cut srt springs

Originally Posted by Infinite
I've had the cut springs on my limited for about 4,000 miles now so I figured I'd post up my thoughts.

Compared to stock suspension, its so much better. With the stock springs, the car felt unsure though hard corners and had a tendency to wander down the highway. Also, the stock springs are just way too soft for anything other than spirited city driving.

I picked up my springs from bhayes, as well as 1 dot spring pads all the way around. I removed a coil from the front and a coil and a half in the rear. I wanted to see just how low I could get the car and still keep it drivable. I ended up making custom polycarbonate shims for the front spring pads to get the ride height where I wanted it.

The car with the srt springs is an entirely different animal. It feels firm, planted and confident. Turns/exit ramps I was afraid to take at 65 I can now take at 90 flat out and the car seems to ask for more. Gone is any sign of body roll. The car will take any turn at speed and remain flat. The car also tracks straight down the highway now, it doesnt want to wander with every groove. This is mostly attributed to the increased negative camber im running front and back. This car seems to love large amounts of negative camber.

Its a little bit harsh on the highway, you feel every bump and ripple in the road. Car has a more direct feel with the ground. Bridge expansion joints are evil though.

As far as the srt spring rates go. The rear is spot on but the front is still a little loose/bouncy for my taste. The fronts could probably use another 75-100lbs of spring rate for my driving style. I can say for 100 bucks and a few weekends of my time, I'm pretty happy with the springs at the moment. I was going to get some spring blocks to bump the spring rate in the front a little bit and see how I like it.
This is GREAT! I will be doing the same then. I reaallyy want to get similar look as my previous crossfire (sig pic). I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how many inches was my previous xfire lowered by just looking at it??? I am thinking about 2" at the back and 1,5" up front? or more?

thanks.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This seems to fit right in with my predictions...

A question for you though: did you trim the factory bump-stops?

I'm going to install the suspension this weekend, I've got the TVT rear camber arms and front eccentric bolts because I do NOT want a butt-load of negative camber. It makes the car handle great, but it KILLS the tire life.

I'm not happy to hear about the bridge joints being mean... my twelve mile commute (all highway) has eight HARSH joints each way...

Looks like I'll be upgrading to Koni soon.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:22 PM

Yes, I trimmed the bumpstops. I forgot to do it when I first lowered it and it rode like absolute *****.

Well, I dont want negative camber for street driving, since i chew through tires so fast but it makes the car handle sooo much better plus I have a hookup on tires, I pay for mounting and balancing. thats it.

And you really arent going to get anywhere with the front camber bolts, 240M3SRT already tried them and got like a tenth of a degree. We really need an adjustable front upper control arm for camber corrections.

this how low I am, 215/45/18 fronts and 245/45/19 rears
IMG_5126.jpg

Old 05-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I trimmed the bumpstops. I forgot to do it when I first lowered it and it rode like absolute *****.

Well, I dont want negative camber for street driving, since i chew through tires so fast but it makes the car handle sooo much better plus I have a hookup on tires, I pay for mounting and balancing. thats it.

And you really arent going to get anywhere with the front camber bolts, 240M3SRT already tried them and got like a tenth of a degree. We really need an adjustable front upper control arm for camber corrections.

this how low I am, 215/45/18 fronts and 245/45/19 rears
Front quarter view?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 PM

IMG_5127.jpg
IMG_5122.jpg

Im probably going to have hyperco wind me some springs once I get ride height and spring rates figured out. I used to work for the largest U.S. Hyperco dealer so it should go rather smoothly

Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

You might also want to replace your sway bars with the ones from an SRT6

Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM

I was looking into that or H&R's
the biggest thing our cars need are bushings and arms.

I'm seriously debating about pulling the arms off my car and having complete tubular replacements made, with heim joints and spherical bearings. The car feels solid right now, but I can feel the bushing slop