Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Spacers & Daily Driving

Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spacers & Daily Driving

Hi guys! I'm trying to gather some info on the effect spacers have on a daily driven Crossfire over a 1 year period. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you driving your car approximately 50 miles per day and running wheel spacers for the past year or more. Any issues, abnormal wear, etc?? I know spacers put some stress on the suspension and can cause premature wear so I'm concerned on putting them on my car as it is a daily driver. Let's hear some experiences, comments, opinions...

Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Spacers & Daily Driving

I am running 15mm eibach spacers on the rear for my second summer. No noticable tire wear difference, no issues. Drove roughly 17000 miles with them

Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're only running the spacers in the rear? Why not the front?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8len
Hi guys! I'm trying to gather some info on the effect spacers have on a daily driven Crossfire over a 1 year period. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you driving your car approximately 50 miles per day and running wheel spacers for the past year or more. Any issues, abnormal wear, etc?? I know spacers put some stress on the suspension and can cause premature wear so I'm concerned on putting them on my car as it is a daily driver. Let's hear some experiences, comments, opinions...
The extra loading on the suspension caused by the slightly wider inner track width is so small it is negligible. As you know, the wheel camber is set so that under normal loads the tyre will be sitting on the road surface evenly and squarely, but camber position changes slightly under suspension load and it is this camber position that could potentially cause uneven tyre wear. This issue, though too small to worry about, can be eliminated if the standard wheel rim offset is changed. Standard offset at the rear is 22mm. I went for new rims with rear offset of 35mm. This change in offset, combined with a rim that is an inch wider than standard, meant that the extra width is to the inside of the rim, rather than the outside. I could therefore use a spacer of say half an inch would restore the inside track width to standard. There is one thing to be mindful of when using spacers on a high performance car - it is wise to check the wheel bolts for tightness after they have been on for a couple of months, and again every six months or so. They have, in very rare instances become loose, but again negligible risk. You must use a good quality spacer with a central locating ring. Hope this helps!
Steve

Old 09-04-2010, 08:56 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 12mm in the rear, and 10mm in front. Mine is a daily driver during Spring, Summer, and Fall. I've had them for two years now.

No issues.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spacers don't cause any issues at all. On a stock ride height car you dont need to worry about rubbing or anything.

The issue with spacers comes when people run the wrong kind too wide... for example some of my 240 buddies will run a 25mm slip on spacer with standard studs, which leaves very little thread left for the nut to grab. Ultimately it either breaks the nut off or the studs break due to how much loading is on them.

the general rule for spacers is this.

15mm or below = use stock studs (or in our case, longer wheel bolts)
20mm = your own decision. Its an odd size so not a lot of people run them. You would be fine with extended studs or longer wheel bolts.
25mm+ = bolt on spacers