Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Tpms

Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Tpms

I read an article on the Chrysler TPMS and it stated that if a Chrysler mechanic took of your tire and the TPMS light was on then legally he cannot let you drive the car away as he is liable.

Before attempting to replace a Chrysler TPMS we advise the use of one our Bartec Wheelrite tools to establish the need for replacement and the nature of the fault. This may support a warranty claim but will also ensure that the dealer or tire shop is covered for liability claims. The legal position is that as soon as the dealer breaks down the wheel then he becomes liable and cannot allow the car to be driven away from his shop with the TPMS warning light still on. Many dealers have found that customers will not accept the costs for repair and may attribute any breakage to the dealer if there is no audit trail.

So it would appear that if your light is on do not take it to a dealer for tire dismounting as he will get you to pay for new sensors before you can drive away.
I suppose that if you and they agree before hand that it is not working and you want the work done then you are probably OK ... maybe.
The full article is here.
http://www.chryslertpms.com/

Edit, wrongly attributed, thanks Max.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Tpms

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I read a Chrysler article on the TPMS and it stated that if a Chrysler mechanic took of your tire and the TPMS light was on then legally he cannot let you drive the car away as he is liable.

Before attempting to replace a Chrysler TPMS we advise the use of one our Bartec Wheelrite tools to establish the need for replacement and the nature of the fault. This may support a warranty claim but will also ensure that the dealer or tire shop is covered for liability claims. The legal position is that as soon as the dealer breaks down the wheel then he becomes liable and cannot allow the car to be driven away from his shop with the TPMS warning light still on. Many dealers have found that customers will not accept the costs for repair and may attribute any breakage to the dealer if there is no audit trail.

So it would appear that if your light is on do not take it to a dealer for tire dismounting as he will get you to pay for new sensors before you can drive away.
I suppose that if you and they agree before hand that it is not working and you want the work done then you are probably OK ... maybe.
The full article is here.
Chrysler TPMS - Chrysler TPMS Tools I Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
Dave,

it looks to me as though that is a "BartecUSA" article and not published by Chrysler.

But I certainly won't argue your point-Chrysler is definitely a "CYA" organization.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why I don't use TPMS. I use valve cap indicators and depend on me to monitor. This on my cars and bikes.The KISS principle. I am liable. Gary

Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Dave,

it looks to me as though that is a "BartecUSA" article and not published by Chrysler.

But I certainly won't argue your point-Chrysler is definitely a "CYA" organization.
You Sir are correct again, I'll change it in the original post, thanks.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 XF Limited

Washed/Waxed and cleaned the wheels, including as far as my hand could reach inside the wheels.

Later...... noticed the TPMS icon remained on as I started to drive off. Stopped and checked the air pressure for each tire... they all were the same, 34 psi.

Several days have past, and the TPMS icon still remains on. If I disconncet the battery, and reconnect it (say 20 minutes later) might this resolve the issue? If not, any suggestion what might?

Is it possible while cleaning the inside of one, or more of the wheels possibly caused this situation, if so, what should I look for?