Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Correcting negative camber

Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Correcting negative camber

Just replaced rear tires (Michelin) after appx 20,000 miles inner edge down to cords, outer still with lots of use Discount Tire patiently explained this due to factory setting of negative camfer to offset normal (?) agressive driving of these Crossfires as well as Mercedes and BMW similiar cars while they could not correct suggusted others but in contactong them they could but did not have the necessary parts anyone tried this to extend the milage? successful ? where to get parts? any help will be appreciate

Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Correcting negative camfer

Originally Posted by mickey5469
Just replaced rear tires (Michelin) after appx 20,000 miles inner edge down to cords, outer still with lots of use Discount Tire patiently explained this due to factory setting of negative camfer to offset normal (?) agressive driving of these Crossfires as well as Mercedes and BMW similiar cars while they could not correct suggusted others but in contactong them they could but did not have the necessary parts anyone tried this to extend the milage? successful ? where to get parts? any help will be appreciate
Search for adjustable camber arms.. MikeR makes a nice stainless set.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Correcting negative camfer

Ive got them and just did a posting of the rear settings and how to check the rear toe and camber with a ruler and level. Woody Enjoy

Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Ive got them and just did a posting of the rear settings and how to check the rear toe and camber with a ruler and level. Woody Enjoy
LOL nice work Woody.

I perfer an alignment rack, but a friend has one, so it works out. I also have Mike's camber arms, easy to adjust and get the job done while looking good too...

Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Many thanks for the responses tried several camfer searches but not successful will run down Waldig's link thanks again

Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

try camber, not camfer

Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Correcting negative camfer

NEGATIVE< Its camber.

Camfer: Chamfer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A chamfer is a beveled edge connecting two surfaces. If the surfaces are at right angles, the chamfer will typically be symmetrical at 45 degrees. A fillet is the rounding off of an interior corner. A rounding of an exterior corner is called a "round"[1] or a "radius".
itations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (May 2009)"Chamfer" is a term commonly used in industrial engineering. Special tools such as chamfer mills and chamfer planes are available. In tile work, or furniture such as counters or table tops, an edge or arris that has been eased by rounding instead of chamfering is called a bullnose. Where a chamfer does not go to the end of the piece, but "lifts out" in a smooth curve, the end is called a lark's tongue.
An example of chamfering is part of the process of hand-crafting a parabolic glass telescope mirror. Before the surface of the disc can be ground, the edges must first be chamfered to prevent chipping. This can be accomplished by placing the disc in a metal bowl containing silicon carbide and rotating the disc with a rocking motion. The grit will thus wear off the sharp edge of the glass.

Woody

Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camber has always been an issue with these vehicles. Just replaced my tires a few months ago and I already see inner wear. Here is some good reading if your a Do It Yourselfer. Should work on our chassis

DIY Adjustable Rear Camber Arms - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Default Re: Correcting negative camber

In checking again this is what I found

CAMFER 0 THREADS

CAMBER 126 THREADS

You all may be on to something there keep up the good work!!!!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Here is the adjustable K-Mac bushing kit I used - worked well but the big metal bushing removal tool can be a PITA to use - I found lots of heat and torque worked for me.

BTW - I didn't need or install the supplied rear toe bushings.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Forum Regular

Hey Brian,
I've got the bolts up front to get some negative camber but it's not much. Were you able to get a good amount of neg camber using the K-mac's? I'm really needing more neg and searching for possibilities.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wedge, the kit that Brian shows is for the REAR..... you are correct that the MB bolts in front dont do too much.... they got one side in spec and the other side just at spec on my car....

If you need lots of REAR adjustment.... the adjustable camber arms will do it.....

Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
Wedge, the kit that Brian shows is for the REAR..... you are correct that the MB bolts in front dont do too much.... they got one side in spec and the other side just at spec on my car....

If you need lots of REAR adjustment.... the adjustable camber arms will do it.....
Mike do you have the specs. to give the alignment guy,, for 150.00 i get lifetime alignment at Firestone, but would like to be able to tell the guy where i need the alignment set. thanks jim

Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, a question. Stock NA, 275's in rear. How much negative camber have i got that would eat tires to make it worthwhile to get adjustables? I looked at my old conti's and they didn't seem to have undue wear. Just not enough for overall traction. At 30K. With my new DWS's though if there is a way to ensure straight, and warranty then I'm all for that.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The K-Mac kit can be bought for the front or rear. The rear kit also comes with adjustable toe. I didn't use the adjustable toe becuase the Crossfire already has this adjustment and I was able to get it in spec. After using the K-Mac kit, I have told others to go with the adjustable links instead. The bushing in the control arm is way to hard to remove. With heat and the supplied tool it would not budge. I used a different method to remove them. The K-Mac kit is great and you get to have polyurethane bushings, if you can get them installed in the lower arms.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
Mike do you have the specs. to give the alignment guy,, for 150.00 i get lifetime alignment at Firestone, but would like to be able to tell the guy where i need the alignment set. thanks jim

Jim, the specs for the rear camber is -1.6 to -0.6 degrees and the front camber is -1.5 to -0.9 degrees.....

Old 11-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks Mike R, I read his post wrong. I'm very much needing to find more neg camber. I will persue nothing else this winter until I get this resolved.
It seems like everyone on course turns faster
than I do and I think my weakest link is the camber. I have the adjustable arms in the back so it's the front that needs attention. May have to try the Kmacs up front as Lantana suggests

Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM

reading this thread i am feeling a bit better. i had my wave track installed this week and installed new tires. the less schwab guys told me they could not get my right rear even close to spec. is is still +1.3 and the toe is +.98.. i do not have a lowering kit, so was of course worried what is wrong. with the wave trac in it seems like the rear is moving around, kind of scares me, could just be the alignment problems.
i see i can get a mike r camber bar but also see a need for the k-mac. am i missing anything here.
thanks