Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Camber and Alignment Nightmares

Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber and Alignment Nightmares

To make a long story as short as possible, i need some advice from all of you people who are far more knowledgeable than me....

The alignment is just barely out, i can tell because it pulls to the right ever so slightly, and i figured the toe might be as well. I took my car to budget brakes to get the car aligned, because i know one of the guys that is a general manager there and knows what he is doing, and is very honest and nice and does a great job. He told me he can align it, but the only thing that was out of alignment that he could adjust was the toe. He said the camber was out also, but he couldn't fix that without installing what he called an "eccentric kit". (it's also worth noting that i had the alignment CHECKED 6 months ago and got basically the same numbers out of alignment from firestone) of course i said wait till i install the kit, then i'll bring it back and you can align it. i did some research on the forum and of course discovered the camber bolts that are designed for our car (or the slk320 i'm guessing), and i purchased 4 bolt kits.

The problem was that budget brakes can't/won't install them, it's not the type of work they do. I don't have the time/equipment/knowledge/expertise so i began to call around to find somewhere that does. i talked to about 10 places, and almost every one said either "we don't install customer supplied parts" or "we don't do that type of work". the only place i could find was a local alignment shop who said he could install them. i took it there this morning to him, and he said he'd do what he could.

Here is where it gets interesting. The guy from the local shop calls meabout 10 minutes ago, an hour after i left it, and he says "I checked your alignment, and the camber isn't out of the spec. also i won't install those bolts because it'd be alot of work, i'd have to compress some coil springs, and it's not really needed. however, the toe is out, so i can fix that for you." i basically said i guarantee the camber is out, it's pulling to the right, and asked him to please install the bolts anyway and he basically said "it's too much work, and you're never going to get the car to go perfectly straight anyway". After this statement, i was pretty much done talking to him. It's also worth noting he also tried to convince me that the crossfire camber can be adjusted without any modfication, straight from the factory. (not true, from my understanding. maybe for the SRT?). I told him i'll come pick up the car later today, don't do anything. I was very hopeful, even though i never have good experiences with local shops. disappointed again.

in any case, this whole thing is starting to really bother me, and i want to have it DONE. i'm tired of it pulling to the right, and NO ONE will install these things for me. what do i do?? is it remotely possible to do this myself?? where will install it for me? Any advice will be helpful, because i'm on about 2 month old tires, and i want the toe fixed and the treadwear corrected, but won't pay to do that until i can also get the camber fixed as well. *sigh*. Help?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Camber and Alignment Nightmares

Well, obviously, a dealer will install them. And align it.

But...(shudder)...I'd find another shop.

Drive up to Auburn AL and go to Franklin Automotive or CT Automotive. Both will do the work, and both are A-one by me.

FWIW...

By the way... I noticed that you "replaced the front bumper cover" in your sig. Front end collision? Was your car damaged to a point that it can't be aligned?

Just wonderin'...

Last edited by maxcichon; 03-27-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this may sound crazy but have you checked the air in the tires? Ive had this happen to me before. My XF was also pulling slightly to the right. I had my mechanic (who drives a SLK 350 and owns his own shop) check the tire. Not only did he find the tire pressure was low, there was a considerable amount of water in the tire. The TPS unit in the tire had failed due to rust (No dash warning light.)

He therefore checked all remaining tires and their TPS sensors. I replaced all TPS units and refilled all tires with nitrogen instead "regular air". Im glad I did. Tire pressure is constant and never low. She rides as smooth as glass and the tires grip the road like their pulling up the pavement.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Well, obviously, a dealer will install them. And align it.

But...(shudder)...I'd find another shop.

Drive up to Auburn AL and go to Franklin Automotive or CT Automotive. Both will do the work, and both are A-one by me.

FWIW...

By the way... I noticed that you "replaced the front bumper cover" in your sig. Front end collision? Was your car damaged to a point that it can't be aligned?

Just wonderin'...

Thanks for the recommendations. Not sure if my schedule will allow me a trip to auburn, but that might be my last option at this point. I'll look into it, still hoping to find something in mobile though. EDIT: Upon doing further research, there is a Franklin Automotive in mobile as well. I will give them a call, and hopefully they will be as helpful to me as the one is auburn is to you. Thanks again!

A good thought, which never occurred to me. but yeah, a very minor front end collision, trailer hitch punched through my front bumper. But no, the alignment #s i got were before the collision, and it wasn't near serious enough to affect the alignment. it was one of those 5 mph (and $1000+) accidents. However, i needed a new bumper anyway and now it looks great, so you won't hear me complaining.

Last edited by Tjb421; 03-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your options for the front end are the MB bolts(that you have) or the Kmac kit. The MB bolts only make a couple of tenths of a degree change. The Kmac kit is a new poly bushing with an eccentric bolt that gives you plenty of adjustment. The toe in front is adjusted the same way.
In the rear the factory camber is NOT adjustable. You need to get adjustable camber arms or the Kmac rear camber kit. Both will give you plenty of adjustment. The difference is how they adjust and the price. Toe and caster are adjustable in the back. I have only heard of one car that HAD to replace his trailing links to get his toe in spec...but his had been in an accident..

PM me if you need camber arms...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only 2 of the 4 bots you have are for camber . the other 2 are for caster. if you drive to my house ill install them for free. i have all the compressors and tools needed to do it. of course im 400 miles away!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 PM

tbj421, i understand your frustration, i have fought this problem and it is a pain. i tried several things till i found miker and the bushings from k-mack. it is worth the trouble to use the k-mack if you are going to replace the front bush. they are a pain, we used torches and pressure beyone belief to change them. so, do it right the first time. my rear was also a problem, ouch. miker built me special links of custom lengths. now it drives like i can't believe. smooth and firm.
john