Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Wheel Thoughts?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Thoughts?

My front wheels are a mess and I have to do something about that, likely this winter while it's sitting in the garage.

I see these as the options:
have them refinished
have them painted
buy new wheels

Are there many aero blue Crossfires out there with dark gray wheels? Other than MikeR's, I can't find any. I'm looking for some inspiration.

I really like the look of the stock SRT6 wheels, but they are a pain to keep clean. I also really like the way MikeR's car looks with the AMG 810's. But I'd have to buy new tires with the 810s.

It seems that no one really makes direct, stock size replacement wheels for the SRT6. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I don't need to replace my tires, so I'd rather not buy a different size wheel. So I'm trying to figure out what my options are. Given the hundreds of "will this fit" threads, my assumption is that no one really makes what I'm looking for. If I don't want to just have the wheels refinished, them I'm stuck buying new wheels and tires.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wheel Thoughts?

I painted mine a metallic charcoal

d99877a5.jpg

Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shakey
My front wheels are a mess and I have to do something about that, likely this winter while it's sitting in the garage.

I see these as the options:
have them refinished
have them painted
buy new wheels

Are there many aero blue Crossfires out there with dark gray wheels? Other than MikeR's, I can't find any. I'm looking for some inspiration.

I really like the look of the stock SRT6 wheels, but they are a pain to keep clean. I also really like the way MikeR's car looks with the AMG 810's. But I'd have to buy new tires with the 810s.

It seems that no one really makes direct, stock size replacement wheels for the SRT6. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I don't need to replace my tires, so I'd rather not buy a different size wheel. So I'm trying to figure out what my options are. Given the hundreds of "will this fit" threads, my assumption is that no one really makes what I'm looking for. If I don't want to just have the wheels refinished, them I'm stuck buying new wheels and tires.
Ive got a stock srt 6, and i love the wheels as they are, mine are a little corroded so im gonna referb them but ive never even thought about changing the size of the rims coz thats just gonna damage the bank having to buy new tires as well! Youre right with the cleaning but if u have the right brake pads on which make less dust then u dont really need to clean them too offen. But for the small effort of cleaning them they are well worth it for me . But id defo keep the same sizes if i was you.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are literally hundreds of direct fit replacement wheels for your crossfire, but you need to understand backspace, offset, spacers, etc before you begin looking. I would begin by searching what the OEM wheel specs are (posted hundreds of times on the forum) and then start looking at wheels with the same or nearly the same specs, some can work, but may require a spacer.

There is a lot to consider when selecting wheels, it took me over 6 months to put the right package together for mine. Good luck out there.

...Or you can take the easy way and contact a company that reps many wheel manufacturers and make them do your homework for you I think Jon has posted a link several times to a guy who he has dealt with for XF wheels and recommends going to him, maybe he will pop in...

Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 AM

most anything that fits a slk will work. these off-set 18" aftermarket slk wheels, when the smoke cleared, were $800 +tires. 18"tires on the rear will save you a little in comparison to the 19". I went to 255 45 tires on the back, 225 40 front. I really love the look and like most of us, the car in general.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC04975.JPG (639.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got satin/matte black TSW Doningtons on my Aero Blue Roadster:

I would imagine a dark gray/gunmetal would look great on this color.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been waiting for someone to do gunmetal bronze (on a black one) but would also work on blue (maybe to subaruish for some) just throwing that out there

On a side note though if it's going to be sitting a whole new set may not be a bad idea. The SRT rims are an easy seller around here, you could probably get a fair price on the wheel tire combo and put it towards a new set. Going a little wider in wheel and tire will give you a bit more grip and nice flush look. If you go lighter there are some gains to be had there as well. The stock front tires will work on a wider rim, (within reason) you may be able to keep those and just have to shell out for rears. Many different ways you could do it specially if you have some time to wait for good deals during the winter. I think my Wilhelms and hankooks cost me ~1600 - 1800 mounted balanced and shipped (everything new)