Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Wheel Cracks

Old 02-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Cracks

I purchased a 2004 Crossfire and the first thing I noticed was slow tire leaks. I planned to replace all tires any way, but to my surprise, 3 of the 4 wheels had developed hair line cracks. Previous owners had used duck tape, tire bead seam goop, welding the rim, and tire slime attempting to stop the leaks. I suspect that these wheels are very fragile and can't handle a tire with this low of a profile. Also, I suggest that the wheels present a pretty serious safety hazard. Has Chrysler ever had a recall on these wheels? Also, what is a good wheel to use as a replacement? Maybe it's only me but these wheels and their design are problematic to begin with. I have replaced them with the same OEM wheels but with great reluctance. Advice appreciated.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Cracks

NA or SRT6 ( 7 spoke or 14 spoke wheels ) ?

ooops !!!

you said 2004, it is an NA with 7 spoke wheels. ( no SRT6 in 2004 )

That might be an option for you : find a set of SRT6 wheels ......

Old 02-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagekart
I purchased a 2004 Crossfire and the first thing I noticed was slow tire leaks. I planned to replace all tires any way, but to my surprise, 3 of the 4 wheels had developed hair line cracks. Previous owners had used duck tape, tire bead seam goop, welding the rim, and tire slime attempting to stop the leaks. I suspect that these wheels are very fragile and can't handle a tire with this low of a profile. Also, I suggest that the wheels present a pretty serious safety hazard. Has Chrysler ever had a recall on these wheels? Also, what is a good wheel to use as a replacement? Maybe it's only me but these wheels and their design are problematic to begin with. I have replaced them with the same OEM wheels but with great reluctance. Advice appreciated.
Maybe the roads in NY are not too good?
The rims have been known to crack, maybe too often, but who knows if the previous owners were careful drivers who avoided pot holes. I have driven in NJ and it was hell on wheels there.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I have 2 sets of the OEM 7 spokers, no cracks in any of them.
How many miles on your 2004 ?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Maybe the roads in NY are not too good?
The rims have been known to crack, maybe too often, but who knows if the previous owners were careful drivers who avoided pot holes. I have driven in NJ and it was hell on wheels there.
I know what you mean about pot holes as Western New York is the winter salt capital of the world and pot holes are a problem. However, the car spent most of it's life in Delaware. When it comes to cars, I love them all from classics to modern performance, but I'm not a fan of low profiles especially the rubber band look, plus they must be hell on the wheels. The wheel tire combo looks great on this car, but rubber bands on a 65 GTO is mind bending.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I have 2 sets of the OEM 7 spokers, no cracks in any of them.
How many miles on your 2004 ?
87,000 miles and the car has several clues that it was not well maintained by previous owner(s). Mechanics seem to be ok, and engine is quite strong, but wheel set up was a mess with different tires on each corner... obviously someone who was stupid or no money for proper shoes and bandaids on all rims to stop leaks.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
NA or SRT6 ( 7 spoke or 14 spoke wheels ) ?

ooops !!!

you said 2004, it is an NA with 7 spoke wheels. ( no SRT6 in 2004 )

That might be an option for you : find a set of SRT6 wheels ......
I'll take a look at the SRT6 option after these reconditioned wheels crack... thanks for the info.