Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

non OEM winter/ASPs

Old 01-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question non OEM winter/ASPs

I picked up a used crossfire in October (turned in off executive lease - I work at DCX headquarters). It had 11,000 miles on it but for 22K I had to grab it. I love the car and even in the burbs of Detroit I'm constantly getting stares and comments on the vehicle. I love cruising through Birmingham and seeing peeps in Porches, Audis and BMWs doing a double take ;-) I usually keep it garaged but sometimes I just have to drive it even if there's a little white stuff on the ground, which segways nicely to my post.

Has anyone bought non-OEM winter or ASP tires and put them on the stock rims (18" front 19" rear)? I've seen the reviews on the Conti's but if I'm going to spend $$$ I'd rather go with another brand (i.e. Dunlop Winter Sport M3s, which are offered in the same size as the stock Xfire rims). I would have ordered the Contis had I ordered the car. I can't believe they would bring an Xfire into this state without the ASPs...go figure. The Michelin Pilots are amazing on the dry stuff but I can't even get the Xfire out of my driveway if there's more than 2" of snow on the ground.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Default Re: non OEM winter/ASPs

Originally Posted by slide93
I picked up a used crossfire in October (turned in off executive lease - I work at DCX headquarters). It had 11,000 miles on it but for 22K I had to grab it. I love the car and even in the burbs of Detroit I'm constantly getting stares and comments on the vehicle. I love cruising through Birmingham and seeing peeps in Porches, Audis and BMWs doing a double take ;-) I usually keep it garaged but sometimes I just have to drive it even if there's a little white stuff on the ground, which segways nicely to my post.

Has anyone bought non-OEM winter or ASP tires and put them on the stock rims (18" front 19" rear)? I've seen the reviews on the Conti's but if I'm going to spend $$$ I'd rather go with another brand (i.e. Dunlop Winter Sport M3s, which are offered in the same size as the stock Xfire rims). I would have ordered the Contis had I ordered the car. I can't believe they would bring an Xfire into this state without the ASPs...go figure. The Michelin Pilots are amazing on the dry stuff but I can't even get the Xfire out of my driveway if there's more than 2" of snow on the ground.
I have the dunlops but haven't tried them in the snow yet, so I can't let you know if it's worht it. Got the Pilot's in the bacement until the spring.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:43 PM

Xfirejunky

Does the tire pressure monitor still work with the Dunlops? According to the service manual the tire pressure sensor is in the valve stem.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by slide93
Xfirejunky

Does the tire pressure monitor still work with the Dunlops? According to the service manual the tire pressure sensor is in the valve stem.
Yes the monitors work and the sensors are in the valve stems. You can see were the sensor is when you take off the tire. normal valve stems have a small round rubber ball, looking thing holding the stem on. This is a larger square box like thing. The only problem, sort of, is every Spring and fall you are going to have to take the tire off the rims and mount the others on. Depending are where you are, it might cost $25 per tire per swap. Also make sure the tire guy is good so he doesn't damage the rims or the tire mounting them that many times. So far they aren't bad in the little bit of snow we're having. In the dry, cold days, the handling isn't as good as the pilots, but that is expected. They are better than I thought they would be.