Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replacement lug nuts situation

Old 05-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement lug nuts situation

I'm toying with going hubcapless . Consequently I am looking for more 'interesting' lug nuts.

Probably the same on all XF's but the bolt (not really a nut) is 11mm x 1.50 x 45mm. I might be incorrect on the latter length since I measured from the upper edge of the taper to the end of the bolt. Bolt alone is 38mm.

I've not found any 11mm lug nut bolts. I suspect - and this makes absolutely no sense - that they are listed as being 12mm. I can assure you that 12mm will not fit into a 11mm hole.

What gives? Or are XF's the only cars which use 11mm lug nut bolts and are a fortune for each one?

Old 05-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Replacement lug nuts situation

I did the "going hybcapless" as well.. Well sort of that is, I have smaller center caps installed and then bought some black plastic covers for the lug bolts as I have plasti-dipped my OEM wheels black so that I can return them to original easily at a later date.

Good luck..

Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have these chrome lug bolts on my SE along with Mercedes silver center caps.

(20) 12x1.5 CHROME BALL SEAT WHEEL XL LUG BOLTS 40MM SHANK OEM MOST BMW MERCEDES

On the graphite coupe I have black powder coated SRT wheels and stock lug bolts spray painted black. For center caps I have custom Mopar emblems.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BibaResto
I've not found any 11mm lug nut bolts. I suspect - and this makes absolutely no sense - that they are listed as being 12mm. I can assure you that 12mm will not fit into a 11mm hole.

What gives? Or are XF's the only cars which use 11mm lug nut bolts and are a fortune for each one?
Looks like you have a very unusual problem because XF lug bolts ARE 12mm x 40mm (1.50") long. You need to recheck your 11mm ? bolts. Have you tried using a brand new 12mm bolt?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement lug nuts situation

Okay, I'm sort of wrong. While I've seen metric bolts, generally with a much smaller shaft than the threads, but never a 11mm shaft with 12mm threads. I happened to have a handy 12mm x 1.50 bolt and just to prove I was right I threaded it in the Mercedes lug nut bolt hole and it went in just fine. Why would 'they' go to the trouble of using a 11mm shaft? All I can think of is if 'they' wanted a specific stretch when torquing the bolts to keep a constant 'pull' on them.

blasco 403, wherever did you find a plasti-dipped place that has a tank large enough for the XF wheels? Do they end up looking like powder coated ones?

I sure wished I'd get a notice when folks leave messages on my thread.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Chrysler Pacifica they made around the same time as the Crossfire, had wheels that visually looked almost the same as the Crossfire wheels. And at least some of them did not use a center cover for the wheel on the earlier models.

It was a joint effort of Chrysler and Mercedes, maybe the parts came from the Mercedes parts bin, and those nuts are better looking and happen to also fit the Crossfire.

It probably won't be the case, since the Pacifica was built in Canada, and I realize they are not identical wheels. But maybe you can keep an eye out for some Pacifica's to get a visual idea of what your wheels would look like with nicer lug nuts, or find nuts that look like those.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Chrysler_Pacifica_Touring.jpg (94.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:17 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BibaResto
Okay, I'm sort of wrong. While I've seen metric bolts, generally with a much smaller shaft than the threads, but never a 11mm shaft with 12mm threads. I happened to have a handy 12mm x 1.50 bolt and just to prove I was right I threaded it in the Mercedes lug nut bolt hole and it went in just fine. Why would 'they' go to the trouble of using a 11mm shaft? All I can think of is if 'they' wanted a specific stretch when torquing the bolts to keep a constant 'pull' on them.

blasco 403, wherever did you find a plasti-dipped place that has a tank large enough for the XF wheels? Do they end up looking like powder coated ones?

I sure wished I'd get a notice when folks leave messages on my thread.
Have you considered that you may not have the correct notification option ticked?
You can be instantly, daily or weekly notified if someone answers your post, I suspect you have never notify ticked.

You never measure a thread diameter over the unthreaded area on a bolt, many bolts are smaller in that area. The strongest threads are rolled as that gives the strongest thread. Rolled thread bolts have the area you measured the same diameter as the diameter that is needed to roll the thread, some material is added to the blank diameter, this material is displaced from the root diameter area. Cut threads are weaker and the area past the thread is smaller than the thread root diameter to allow for the tool runout.

The plasti dip is sprayed on from a can.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-12-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolman
I have these chrome lug bolts on my SE along with Mercedes silver center caps.

(20) 12x1.5 CHROME BALL SEAT WHEEL XL LUG BOLTS 40MM SHANK OEM MOST BMW MERCEDES

On the graphite coupe I have black powder coated SRT wheels and stock lug bolts spray painted black. For center caps I have custom Mopar emblems.
At a little over $1.50 per bolt, I would not trust those bolts with my safety. I am sure they are made in China and made from the cheapest piece of metal they could find, chrome plating costs money with cleaning, polishing and plating. Add the mark up from the middle men and the retailer and you have little money for decent steel.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bibaresto,

180 is correct, plasti-dip from a spray can so it is not permanent and I can put back to original easy. Hydro-Dipping is what you referring to I am guessing. It is pretty much permanent. There is a place in Alberta here that can hydro-dip rims, bumpers, etc.