Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Leaking Rear Brake Hose replacement?

Old 04-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Leaking Rear Brake Hose replacement?

Hello Fellow Crossfire owners.

My wife has a 2003 Crossfire Coupe, which she hardly uses. In fact it has only done 26K genuine miles. The problem is that where it has been parking outside for long periods, moisture has corroded the brake line just under the offside door. I have contact several breakers but due to safety, they wont break this part. I have no idea where I can get one from or how much it will cost. Most of the time that I search online for this part, all I can find is the short hose/line rather than the long hose that runs the length of the car. I have made a temporary fix using cable ties but it hasnt really worked as the brake fluid level continues to drop.

With all of the expertise and knowledge on this forum, I am hoping you can point me in the right direction where I can order one from and whether there is a part number that I should be quoting?

MOT is due next month so no point wasting my money until I have fixed this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:23 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Leaking Rear Brake Hose replacement?

Were it me, I would just buy tubing the same size, bend it to shape and swadge the ends if needed.
Might have to buy a swadgeing tool and a tubing bender.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Leaking Rear Brake Hose replacement?

Thanks for the quick reply ala_xfire. I dont know enough about cars and when it comes to the brake system, I really wouldn't want to piece something together that isn't made to fit the crossfire. I could go to my local car parts supplier and ask them if they can provide something like that. Thanks for the idea.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Were it me, I would just buy tubing the same size, bend it to shape and swadge the ends if needed.
Might have to buy a swadgeing tool and a tubing bender.
Get it done by a good mechanic, by the time you buy the tools you could be back on the road and have no further use for the tools.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Like 180 say's - take it to a qualified brake shop and forget buying the tools unless you plan on doing the same thing for others. You didn't say, or I misread, where you are located but I wouldn't drive very far with cable tie's to depend on for my brakes.

Jim

Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Like 180 say's - take it to a qualified brake shop and forget buying the tools unless you plan on doing the same thing for others. You didn't say, or I misread, where you are located but I wouldn't drive very far with cable tie's to depend on for my brakes.

Jim
He comes from Chingford, London in the UK, that is on the edge of Epping forest as I recall, l have been there a few times when I lived in the UK.
A brake line is a brake line is a ......