Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Custom vs Stock Suspension VIDEO

Old 10-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Custom vs Stock Suspension VIDEO

Hey guys, I forgot about this old video on my computer that we shot to test my new (at the time, last year) suspension set-up.

I took a stock Crossfire and mine (after my suspension mods) out to Willow Springs to see what differences there were. In the video from my car, with the stock Crossfire in front on me, you'll clearly see that I can hold the track much tighter, while the stock Crossfire shows quite a bit of oversteer and body roll, in comparison.

When we shot this, my car kept pushing harder and harder thru the turns to the point where I had to fall off and then eventually pass...

It's a short video only because I can't upload large files to this forum. We actually spent half the day shooting this cat and mouse game.

Goes to show suspension set-up is key to these and other cars. For example, Lotus was brilliant when they introduced the Elise and Exige which have half the HP of a it's counterparts in SCCA A Stock Class but still kick their as*es...

My next mission is to get a stock SRT6 on the track with me and laugh my as* off when I lap him... Any takers?

HERE'S THE VIDEO: https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...cat/500/page/1

Last edited by HDDP; 10-15-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Custom vs Stock Suspension VIDEO

Nice vid! You sir, have some skills! How experienced was the other driver. What would make this more accurate would have been an exchange of drivers and see where you guys faired. I just came from FWD turbo SCCA crowd and feel like I am learning how to drive again. How harsh does your suspension ride and is it a daily driver?

Thanks in Advance!

~ J

Old 10-15-2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by AlohaXFire
Nice vid! You sir, have some skills! How experienced was the other driver. What would make this more accurate would have been an exchange of drivers and see where you guys faired. I just came from FWD turbo SCCA crowd and feel like I am learning how to drive again. How harsh does your suspension ride and is it a daily driver?

Thanks in Advance!

~ J
The other driver has major seat time, however had never driven a Crossfire on the track... This was a clip from the third lap of many... I'm sure if we switched cars the outcome would have been reversed... I would have tanked in the stock car and he would have killed me in mine...

This video was directly after I installed my new suspension and had never dialed it in... Trust me, it's wicked sick now... I'll be running Spring Mountain Motor Speedway next weekend with http://racerfactory.com and hope to post some new videos after that...

I use it as an (occasional driver) on the street. However, I ordered a Lotus Exige last week and when it arrives (6-9 months) I will turn the Crossfire into a full track car and trailer it out to campaign it in SCCA events.

Last edited by HDDP; 10-15-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The video is a bit grainy, but it looks like you had a lot of fun. In Michigan, there are "open track days" at Waterford Hills raceway. It costs about a hundred bucks, but one (who does not usually race) can take his/her car out on the course and turn some hot laps. I figure I might give it a shot with the Crossfire next summer, to put the car through its paces without concern of breaking any laws. With the wedding this summer and all of the obligations that went with it, I did not have a chance to try out the Crossfire on the track. I am hoping to get that opportunity next summer. And, I hope that it could eventually lead to doing some amateur SCCA autocrossing. I really want to know what this car can do, and I suspect that I am never going to find out on the street!

Old 10-16-2005, 12:28 PM

JUDDZ: Beware you'll get hooked and want to spend every weekend on the track and never see that new bride of yours!!!

Old 10-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDP
JUDDZ: Beware you'll get hooked and want to spend every weekend on the track and never see that new bride of yours!!!
...maybe I can get her hooked, too!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by juddz
...maybe I can get her hooked, too!
Most groups that run track days will allow you to have a passenger, providing both have SA2000 helmets. I would suggest having your wife drive the first few laps, with you as a passenger, that way you won't scare the hell out of her when you get behind the wheel...

That's how I got my little honey wanting to join me...