WTB - Items/Parts Wanted to Buy - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

Ignition and computer assembly complete with keys

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Ignition and computer assembly complete with keys

Originally Posted by Sue999
I got one key to work. But, if I remove the key, all bets are off. @bluecoupe have you used this fix on your own Crossfire?
Yes, I have done this fix to 4 Crossfires.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Do you want to fix a 5th? I am west end Etobicoke so not so far from you if you’re in Grimsby....😁

Old 09-27-2019, 04:56 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

I got one key to work. But, if I remove the key, all bets are off. @bluecoupe have you used this fix on your own Crossfire?
I would guess that most of the people here with the model years affected have done this, some because they had to like you and some to prevent this problem occurring in the future.
This is a sure fire way of solving your problem. The fix will take 90 to 100 minutes, maybe a bit less if someone has done it before, no parts required.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:11 PM

I can help if your mechanic isn’t capable of following the tutorial provided you can get the car to me and the key turns when you get here. Good luck with your mechanic on Monday and keep us updated.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This reminds me of the old saying.
“You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink”.
The solution has been given to you but you seem to want to waste money, the fix needs no parts to be purchased and if your mechanic wants you to buy parts I suggest you find an honest mechanic, that actually may possibly be an oxymoron.
Thanks for your feedback albeit you have made a leap & conclusion that is off base. The part number was listed on the 5th gen fix PDF. I took the car to a Mercedes dealership. They told me I needed to buy the entire assembly but they did not have anyone in house that could recode computer. The part number listed on the fix is not available in Canada until Jan 2020. Given you are in Caledon I am sure you already know how easily parts are to come by?
I took it back to my own mechanic who had serviced my car but he’s admitted he has no experience with this problem. Not sure how much more honest you’d like him to be? I also have no experience. In 19 yrs this is the first mechanical failure I have had to deal with.

I am new here and; I am putting in all my effort in an endeavour to get the best advice & solutions from the very people I think this forum was created for.

I decided to come to the experts. There is more knowledge in this forum than either the Mercedes or Chrysler dealerships combined seem to have. I appreciate and am grateful for all of the support and education I have been given today. Thanks for your input, it’s been really welcoming.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM

@bluecoupe thanks for your support! I will let you know. Currently the car is driveable so in the event my mechanic isn’t comfortable doing it, I would gladly drive to Grimsby. I appreciate your offer! Thanks again! Everyone has been really supportive and helpful

Old 09-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 472 Likes on 329 Posts

There is more knowledge in this forum than either the Mercedes or Chrysler dealerships combined seem to have.
This is so very true !!!!

Old 09-27-2019, 06:11 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 472 Likes on 329 Posts

Currently the car is driveable so in the event my mechanic isn’t comfortable doing it, I would gladly drive to Grimsby.
I appreciate your offer! Thanks again!
Everyone has been really supportive and helpful
If it is driveable it does NOT need SKREEM module
What you describe is a simple Sticky Key fix

Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Last edited by Valk; 09-27-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for your feedback albeit you have made a leap & conclusion that is off base. The part number was listed on the 5th gen fix PDF. I took the car to a Mercedes dealership. They told me I needed to buy the entire assembly but they did not have anyone in house that could recode computer. The part number listed on the fix is not available in Canada until Jan 2020..
I'm confused. The Sticky Key Fix requires NO parts and is VERY easy to do. That fix and the RCM re-solder were the first things I did when we brought our '04 home last year.
Yes, the ignition key was sticking and required excessive jiggling to start; the dealer had no idea why. But this forum had educated me.
Concur with 180. Buying new parts for this fix is a waste of money Also, the new part may also have the original design flaw and require this fix in the future.

Last edited by Chooch; 09-27-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-27-2019, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Any shadetree mechanic or high school auto shop student can fix this with the tutorial.

I'm no mechanic AT ALL, and I had it done in 90 minutes. If oyu have a son or brother or dad who is handy with tools and likes to fix stuff, turn them loose on it!

Sorry, but I'm preparing for vacation - way too busy.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:05 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Contrary to his father's warnings, my son continued to drive his Crossfire with an intermittent sticking ignition key. One day it would not turn at all, and it was stuck in his apartment parking lot. We had to drill out the stuck lock pin to get the ignition switch assembly out, and then do the modification to the assembly.

There is no requirement to have any new programming, new tumbler, or keys. This is entirely just a mechanical repair.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-28-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Do you want to fix a 5th? I am west end Etobicoke so not so far from you if you’re in Grimsby....😁
@bluecoupe Tony (my mechanic) GT Automotive asked me if I could get your contact details in the event he needs to ask any questions. Is that possible?

my email is: swalton@almi.ca or Tony gtautomotive1@live.ca

I am seeing him Monday and I believe he’s going to do the fix on Tuesday sometime.

Tony has the PDF V5, 3 technical links I was sent in the thread plus the video Scott sent me yesterday. He may not need anything but he’d appreciate if he had someone to speak to in case he has any specific questions.

i appreciate all the support. Thanks so much!

Sue

Old 09-28-2019, 05:31 PM

I will send you a pm with my phone number

Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sue999 how did things workout for you.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Thumbs up Re: Ignition and computer assembly complete with keys

Perfectly! My mechanic did the fix yesterday. Could have done cartwheels around my car. They showed me the tiny pieces that were causing the problem. Mind blowing.

Nothing that either Mercedes or Chrysler said had any merit or truth. Everything from the Crossfire Forum was spot on.

I posted an update in my original message earlier. This is all new to me, so I'm not entirely sure if I did it correctly. I'm learning on the fly, lol

Thanks for your help!

Sue

Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfectly! My mechanic did the fix yesterday. Could have done cartwheels around my car. They showed me the tiny pieces that were causing the problem. Mind blowing.

Nothing that either Mercedes or Chrysler said had any merit or truth. Everything from the Crossfire Forum was spot on.

I posted an update in my original message earlier. This is all new to me, so I'm not entirely sure if I did it correctly. I'm learning on the fly, lol

Thanks for your help!

Sue
I'm pretty happy with the place myself!
I'm really happy for you! It's been a good day!

Old 10-02-2019, 03:48 PM

Thanks for your help!

Sue