All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Limp mode confusion

Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode confusion

I recently got the limp mode nightmare. I have an 05 N/A Roadster with 60k on the clock. It was a hot day, and I stopped for two minutes. I backed out into the street and punched it pretty good, only to find that it will not shift. I've read a lot of threads, and only get more and more confused. "Trans connector plug leak,...connector plate,...trans fluid low,...TCM contacts bad.

I had a check engine light for a while, but it went off by itself before I could put the scanner on. I've tried disconnecting the battery for a day, ..no good.

I guess my question is,.."where to start, If limp mode can be caused by so many things. I have not seen any drips on the garage floor, so I assume the fluid is ok. No dipstick for that anyhow.

Thanx in advance for any assistance.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Limp mode confusion

I had to have mine towed to a connector plate repair shop (dealer).

Under warranty, fortunately.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Limp mode confusion, UPDATE

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I had to have mine towed to a connector plate repair shop (dealer).

Under warranty, fortunately.
Did the connector plate do the trick ?Were any solenoids bad? How many miles on the car?

I took it to an inde MB shop near me. Lots of weird codes. My battery was weak, so we installed a new one. No help. I removed, and checked the TCM. All connector pins looked fine. No oil anywhere
I'll post my progress here for others who may have this issue. I miss driving her.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Limp mode confusion, update

Ok, after reading MANY threads, here, and on MB World, my inde mechanic, and I decided to change out the connector plate, and plug housing, tranny filter, and fluid. We checked all the solenoids for continuity, they were fine. We noticed one of the solenoid connections on the plate was a bit loose. We took the car out, and it did not shift right till we shut it off, and tried again. It seems perfect now. His scanner said we may need to drive it, shut it off, and try it again. That worked. Hope this helps someone with the limp mode problem.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Forum Regular

OK, another update. The above did not cure the problem. Now we're going to look for a chafed, or mouse chewed wire. Failing that I'm sending off the TCM to have it checked out, and repaired. This is getting old.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abaton6
OK, another update. The above did not cure the problem. Now we're going to look for a chafed, or mouse chewed wire. Failing that I'm sending off the TCM to have it checked out, and repaired. This is getting old.
Boy do I feel your pain. I am somewhat in the same spot as you are. So far I have changed out the external connecter, it was leaking and quite wet from fluid. The car has been OK to a point so far. I did have a couple of HARD shifts and one very minor limp mode. Did not need to restart. I plan on a wait and see approach for the time being. I do have a new Conductor Plate ready to be put in. (next step) Time will tell. What bothers me is this car only has 36,500+ miles on it. I did check codes again and had a P0715 pending. It did reset. Like I said, time will tell.
Bill T.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill T.
Boy do I feel your pain. I am somewhat in the same spot as you are. So far I have changed out the external connecter, it was leaking and quite wet from fluid. The car has been OK to a point so far. I did have a couple of HARD shifts and one very minor limp mode. Did not need to restart. I plan on a wait and see approach for the time being. I do have a new Conductor Plate ready to be put in. (next step) Time will tell. What bothers me is this car only has 36,500+ miles on it.

I did check codes again and had a P0715 pending.

It did reset. Like I said, time will tell.
Bill T.
P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

All codes posted here to save for future reference >>
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALK

Diagnostic Trouble
Code (DTC) List

Thanx Valk. I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow. I don't know what else to do. I'll report back.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Thanx Valk. I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow. I don't know what else to do. I'll report back.
Weird codes?
What were they?
Codes give people clues to the problem.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALK

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
Thanks Valk,
Had the car out today, ran sweet until almost home. Had a couple of hard shifts. Didn't check for codes. That "Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction" tells me that it's time to swap out the Conductor Plate and check the connector again. The Conductor Plate I bought came with another (new) connector. I will have my transmission guy change out both and check and make sure that no fluid wicked up the harness.
Bill T.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Weird codes?
What were they?
Codes give people clues to the problem.

PO715, and MANY others. I bring it in to a Dealer on Wed. When I spoke to the service manager today, he didn't blink when I said Crossfire. Good sign.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Forum Regular

OK, another update, The dealer found a bad torque converter solenoid. That and the diagnostics were $536. BUT that did not fix the problem. They traced it to the TCM. That's going to be $695. I should get it back next week. What a cluster intercourse this has been! Total will be $1650.00. And I thought I was getting MB quality.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Forum Regular

OK, another update, The dealer found a bad torque converter solenoid. That and the diagnostics were $536. BUT that did not fix the problem. They traced it to the TCM. That's going to be $695. I should get it back next week. What a cluster intercourse this has been! Total will be $1650.00. And I thought I was getting MB quality.
Like I said before, I feel your pain. I haven't driven my XF but about 3 miles since the Conductor Plate was changed out, along with the connector. What other codes did you find, other than the P0715? That information would be VERY helpful to the folks here on the forum.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill T.
Like I said before, I feel your pain. I haven't driven my XF but about 3 miles since the Conductor Plate was changed out, along with the connector. What other codes did you find, other than the P0715? That information would be VERY helpful to the folks here on the forum.
When I pick up the car, and empty my wallet next week, I'll ask for a list of the codes.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Forum Regular

When I pick up the car, and empty my wallet next week, I'll ask for a list of the codes.
That would be great. Thanks,
Bill T.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Forum Regular

Final update,...l hope. One of the solenoid coils was out of spec for ohms resistance. Had to be replaced. Also, the first TCM they installed was bad. The second was ok, but they needed to contact Chrysler to download the correct programming. So, after all this time and trouble, the total is $1800.00. I sincerely hope this crap doesn't happen to you. Seriously thinking of selling in the spring. But I'll probably fall in love again.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time you have issues go to Crossfire Market Place on Facebook. So many experienced Crossfire owners with free advice and help at no Cost!

Good luck.

Oh I even was able to get a free Billet grille for my 05! All because they....... oh........ we love our cars!

Old 10-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamenco2005
Next time you have issues go to Crossfire Market Place on Facebook. So many experienced Crossfire owners with free advice and help at no Cost!
LOL... If you believe there are more "experienced Crossfire owners" at your Market Place; I submit that you are sorely delusional.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dinasrt
LOL... If you believe there are more "experienced Crossfire owners" at your Market Place; I submit that you are sorely delusional.
when it takesdays to weeks to get a rresponse not dedicated nor care. 1 guy here took advise 3 different times and spent more than $1600. When all he needed to do was to take it to dealer to have codes reset internally with a MB code reader. Naw not dllusional. Fact. I will say this I did find cheap parts for my XF here. And some specs were helpfull. Sorry to bust your bubble. Sounds like you thought very highly of this group. Don't get so offended just gave some advice don't like it don't take it and move on.
God Bless you any ways.

The following users liked this post:
Jonsir09 (01-21-2022)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:36 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi

Just some information that might be useful to others with transmission problems.

1. If your transmission goes into limp home mode and you repair it by replacing the conductor plate, you still need to use Mercedes Star Xentry/Das to clear the fault codes from the TCU. Otherwise the TCU still thinks the fault is present even though you've fixed the transmission.

2. If you need to replace your TCU, then just get a used one from the wreckers. The TCU contains information about the transmission gear ratios and the diff ratio. The SRT6 TCU therefore contains different coding to the NA TCU, so get the correct one.

If you can't find a Crossfire TCU, then you can use Star Xentry/Das to recode any EGS52 TCU (from a Mercedes) to work. You can copy the code from your existing TCU to the replacement one, or code it directly from Star Xentry/Das. The code to use for the NA TCU is "AF0Y", the code for the SRT6 is "BH52".

Quick Reply: Limp mode confusion