Canada Serving Canada.

Alabaster with Cedar and stick with 53,000 miles for $6,200 Cert & Etest

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alabaster with Cedar and stick with 53,000 miles for $6,200 Cert & Etest

Not mine....Local Deal on Kijiji : http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ556863962

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 01-06-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Alabaster with Cedar and stick with 53,000 miles for $6200 Cert & Etest

Looks like a nice clean car.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: Alabaster with Cedar and stick with 53,000 miles for $6200 Cert & Etest

Good thing it is not in Florida, am a sucker for white/red.What is "Cert & Etest" ?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Padgett
Good thing it is not in Florida, am a sucker for white/red.What is "Cert & Etest" ?

Certified and emission tested if you pay the full $6200 as per the seller.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Looks like a nice clean car.

Ooops ....ad is gone now. You a member of the 3'fer coupe society?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That was a twin to our car, I wouldn't sell ours for twice that much. (Good thing I have no plans of unloading it).lol

Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Ooops ....ad is gone now. You a member of the 3'fer coupe society?
Nope not me but I thought about it!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Ad is back up. I changed the link in post #1

Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody know what the exchange rate is?

What exactly is involved getting a Canadian car titled in the U.S.?

Old 01-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple of months back I flew to Florida and bought an SRT6 and drove it back home to Ottawa. Process is simple.
1-register with RIV $195 (Registry of Imported Vehicles-Transport Canada) and they will inform you of requirement of the vehicle to be legal in Canada in Crossfire case it will require Daytime running lights only (get the $45 kit from Canadian tire...easy install but you will have a warning light of the lights on)
2- buy the car and ask for a bill of sale from the seller (you will be required to produce it when registering the car in Canada
3- go to the nearest DMV with the seller and transfer he car to you (title=registration)
4-pay the state taxes (Florida=6%) at the DMV
5-buy temp plate at the DMV
6-call your ins co. and get car temporarily covered ( you should discuss your purchase with them prior to heading to the US)
7-***most important part*** you must send your new ORIGINAL title to the US Border/customs that you will cross 3 DAYS PRIOR to your arrival so they can verify vehicle is legit and not stolen etc...keep photocopies of the title in case you need to produce them to police (speeding lol)
8- Take 3 days to get to the US customs border you sent your title to and report in. You will be ask only a few question they will check the paperwork and the VIN on the car and then you cross over to the Canadian customs and also report in to get paperwork done...RIV Title Insurance... You will need to produce all of the above info to them and YES you will pay the GST on the spot.
9-fix your car so it is legal for the RIV standard...daytime running light in the case of a Crossfire...different for every car
10- bring your car to Canadian Tire for them to sign off and stamp the RIV (this is the only place Transport Canada has authorized to do this...oh its N/C free since you already paid your $195 RIV fee in advance.
11-get Etest and Safety check
12-go with ALL your paperwork from the bill of sale to the safety check to get your car plates and pay the PST as you would any car.
13-Call your insurance and have fun...

Paul

Old 01-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

One thing you missed was that Florida for a U$10.00 fee can issue a "Fast Title" over the counter. Otherwise you just get a receipt and the title is mailed to you.

If you need a separate Bill of Sale, (is one on the back of current titles but not older ones) you need Florida form 82050 (downloadable) .

Any questions about Florida and Florida titles (you really do not want a "Savlage COD") you can find here. This includes a VIN check

Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Forum Regular

title fee was actually $77.50 for the real title

Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Big Daddy
Couple of months back I flew to Florida and bought an SRT6 and drove it back home to Ottawa. Process is simple.
1-register with RIV $195 (Registry of Imported Vehicles-Transport Canada) and they will inform you of requirement of the vehicle to be legal in Canada in Crossfire case it will require Daytime running lights only (get the $45 kit from Canadian tire...easy install but you will have a warning light of the lights on)
2- buy the car and ask for a bill of sale from the seller (you will be required to produce it when registering the car in Canada
3- go to the nearest DMV with the seller and transfer he car to you (title=registration)
4-pay the state taxes (Florida=6%) at the DMV
5-buy temp plate at the DMV
6-call your ins co. and get car temporarily covered ( you should discuss your purchase with them prior to heading to the US)
7-***most important part*** you must send your new ORIGINAL title to the US Border/customs that you will cross 3 DAYS PRIOR to your arrival so they can verify vehicle is legit and not stolen etc...keep photocopies of the title in case you need to produce them to police (speeding lol)
8- Take 3 days to get to the US customs border you sent your title to and report in. You will be ask only a few question they will check the paperwork and the VIN on the car and then you cross over to the Canadian customs and also report in to get paperwork done...RIV Title Insurance... You will need to produce all of the above info to them and YES you will pay the GST on the spot.
9-fix your car so it is legal for the RIV standard...daytime running light in the case of a Crossfire...different for every car
10- bring your car to Canadian Tire for them to sign off and stamp the RIV (this is the only place Transport Canada has authorized to do this...oh its N/C free since you already paid your $195 RIV fee in advance.
11-get Etest and Safety check
12-go with ALL your paperwork from the bill of sale to the safety check to get your car plates and pay the PST as you would any car.
13-Call your insurance and have fun...

Paul
I bought my SRT6 in Florida 4 years ago, private sale so no need to pay state taxes or get a temporary tag. I e-mailed my insurance broker a copy of the title and receipt and it was covered n/c for my drive home. When I arrived at the boarder, US customs checked the VIN and Canada Customs, just checked the paper work, didn't come out of the building to check the car.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
I bought my SRT6 in Florida 4 years ago, private sale so no need to pay state taxes or get a temporary tag. I e-mailed my insurance broker a copy of the title and receipt and it was covered n/c for my drive home. When I arrived at the boarder, US customs checked the VIN and Canada Customs, just checked the paper work, didn't come out of the building to check the car.
-State tax requires they get paid so you have NO CHOICE but to pay at the Dept of Motorized Vehicles at the time of getting the title.
-As far as you mentioning getting "tags" you don't get any! you must get "temporary license pates" to be able to drive the car home (get these at the DMV at the same time of registering the car/title and paying state taxes
-As for the border, at the time you arrive at the US border they will be checking the cars VIN, why they did not on your car is strange as this is the last chance they have to verify the car matches what you are ACTUALLY exporting. So if you are buying a US car NOW, this is the process today.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 01-28-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Daddy
-State tax requires they get paid so you have NO CHOICE but to pay at the Dept of Motorized Vehicles at the time of getting the title.
-As far as you mentioning getting "tags" you don't get any! you must get "temporary license pates" to be able to drive the car home (get these at the DMV at the same time of registering the car/title and paying state taxes
-As for the border, at the time you arrive at the US border they will be checking the cars VIN, why they did not on your car is strange as this is the last chance they have to verify the car matches what you are ACTUALLY exporting. So if you are buying a US car NOW, this is the process today.
I never paid any Florida tax. I paid for the car at the guys bank. I drove home with his plates, title and a notarized bill of sale - HSMV 82050 (Rev. 06/11) S. Showed the US border people the bill of sale and the title, they really never bothered with the BoS, one guy said it was just 'fluff'. They ran the VIN on the title through a computer check and looked at the copy of my email to the Buffalo Vinny office. They did an X ray on the car as it sat outside from a van they parked beside it. They did not look at the VIN on the car either as the car was locked outside and nobody went out anyway, it was a bloody cold and windy November day.
Paid GST at the Canadian border after filling out the Federal vehicle import form.
At home I got a temporary tag and plate at the DoT, got an emissions test and roadworthy test. Got the sticker for my plates and paid PST. Sent in the RIV papers and got a RIV sticky back for the car.
Maybe they tightened the process up, I sent a copy of the title to the US border 3 days before crossing back over.
I'm thinking that dealers have to pay sales tax, but they can avoid that for out of state sales if they deliver the car one inch outside Florida. They get a kid to drive it to the state line. The same applies to private sales, the car is delivered out of state - no tax.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-28-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never paid any Florida tax. I paid for the car at the guys bank. I drove home with his plates, title and a notarized bill of sale. Showed the US border people the bill of sale and the title, they did an X ray on the car. They did not look at the VIN either.
Paid GST at the Canadian border after filling in some paperwork.
I got a temporary tag and plate at the DMV, got a emissions test and roadworthy test. Got the sticker for my plates and paid PST. Sent in the RIV papers and got a RIV sticky for the car.
Maybe they tightened the process up, I think I sent a copy of the title to the US border 3 days before crossing back over.
Ditto for me. I bought mine from a dealer in Michigan. No taxes due or paid because the title was not transferred to my name - only signed over with a bill of sale. Dealer provided a transport sticker - no plates. And you do need to advise the border about three days in advance to allow them time to check to SN. The dealer brought the car through Detroit/Windsor for me and I handled the Canadian side customs. Everything about how to do this is online, and it's amazingly simple when you have the proper paperwork and the border has experience in this. You must pay the Federal portion of the HST at the border, and the provincial portion when you get it home and license it. The DMV can be a problem here because they don't always know what's going on, so keep your receipts as proof.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
Ditto for me. I bought mine from a dealer in Michigan. No taxes due or paid because the title was not transferred to my name - only signed over with a bill of sale. Dealer provided a transport sticker - no plates. And you do need to advise the border about three days in advance to allow them time to check to SN. The dealer brought the car through Detroit/Windsor for me and I handled the Canadian side customs. Everything about how to do this is online, and it's amazingly simple when you have the proper paperwork and the border has experience in this. You must pay the Federal portion of the HST at the border, and the provincial portion when you get it home and license it. The DMV can be a problem here because they don't always know what's going on, so keep your receipts as proof.
As I said this in NOW the legal process to follow (private sale) if you want a trouble free entry back to Canada. I did not make the rules but was advised (lawyer, Customs and Transport Canada)) to follow the process step by step as per my original post. Take the time to investigate yourself before you buy a car from the US

Old 01-28-2014, 05:26 PM

The process has not changed since RIV was introduced. I have imported 3 cars from Florida, 2 before RIV program and one after and have never paid state taxes nor had any problems with customs or having them registered in Ontario. One car I drove across the boarder with no tags, Customs on either side did not care. I was the first person in Ontario to import a Rover Sterling, no issues with Transport Canada. Big Daddy you paid taxes because you registered the car in Florida and that is not a legal requirement when exporting the car from the US or importing it into Canada. I got my advise from Customs for free, you got the wrong advise............. hope you didn't pay the lawyer.

Last edited by bluecoupe; 01-28-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

When I bought mine out of Florida, I was told that I would only have to pay Florida State Sales tax if I licensed it in FL even if I got a temp plate to drive it home. Because I bought from a dealer I had two options. Tow the car to Georgia and get a temp plate there OR have a car carrier bring it home. I chose the latter due to bad weather.

Driving the car with the previous owners FL plates is the trick here. I couldnt do that because I bought from a dealer.

ps Big Daddy. I really like your signature........but you owe me $0.05 for every time you post. LOL

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 01-28-2014 at 07:59 PM.