Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Today's Mistery Object

Old 08-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Today's Mystery Object

Does anyone know what this is? I found it under the battery tray when I took it out to route some cables. It looks familiar but can't recall where I might have seen it. It has an MB part No. of A 000 541 00 63 but didn't show up on any of the searches I did. It's hollow with what appears to be a tube connection spigot on it, and measures about 2" x 1.25" x 0.5"
It might have something to do with the butchers who replaced my windscreen a while back since they also broke my cowl molding! I thought at first it was a terminal cover, as I also found the red +ve cover under there too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0330.jpg (128.4 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP0331.jpg (131.6 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by woody; 08-20-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Today's Mistery Object

I've never seen that part... Though have not pulled the battery yet. But then again, I screwed-up on the last discussion we had about the additional fuse box under the bonnet. It does exist on the US cars. I was just being brain dead and didn't ever look...

I'm still trying to figure out my mystery BEEP BEEP BEEP at certain parts on the track. I originally thought it was my track timing device, but it happened again last weekend and I wasn't using the GPS timer. The funny thing is my car is gutted and not even the key alarm chime is connected anymore.

I'm going to be relocating my battery to the rear in the next few days, so I'll keep a look for your MYSTERY part.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the battery vent tube that plugs into the neg side of the battery (upper top side you will see a small matching hole just match the hole to the plastic insert and push in) (point it down as gases vent into it and turn into a liquid were it is then stored to a point that simple removal and emptying keeps the battery acid from dripping down into the wires and engine compartment. Very important small piece thats needs to be put back to store battery acid.
The red cap is the positive side battery terminal protector snaps in two small holes on battery top to prevent accidental electrical contact.

Last edited by 178; 08-19-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 178
That's the battery vent tube that plugs into the neg side of the battery (upper top side you will see a small matching hole just match the hole to the plastic insert and push in) (point it down as gases vent into it and turn into a liquid were it is then stored to a point that simple removal and emptying keeps the battery acid from dripping down into the wires and engine compartment. Very important small piece thats needs to be put back to store battery acid.
The red cap is the positive side battery terminal protector snaps in two small holes on battery top to prevent accidental electrical contact.

I knew someone here would know! Thanks 178, I've replaced it in it's rightful place together with the terminal cap. Autoglass must have dislodged them when they did the screen.

Derek: good to hear you solved the riddle of the fuses! There is a beeper for the parking brake warning if you apply it on the move - perhaps the parking brake switch/wiring is shorting somewhere since after the gutting process. There is also a beep when manually retracting the spoiler, but I'm not sure why that come in to play.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by woody
There is a beeper for the parking brake warning if you apply it on the move - perhaps the parking brake switch/wiring is shorting somewhere since after the gutting process. There is also a beep when manually retracting the spoiler, but I'm not sure why that come in to play.
Don't know what it is... It happens occasionally during laps... Definitely not from TC since it happened at this point in the track. Definitely not RPM warning since I hit 5,000+ most of the time. Definitely not the wing since it is in the permanent up position and disconnected.

Listen carefully, you'll hear the repeated beep right before the chicane. Seems to happen as I lift from the throttle... I'm going to pull all the fuses from the systems that are no longer installed, before my next event, see if that gets rid of it...

http://www.hollywooddigitalimaging.c...BEEP_Part1.mov

Last edited by HDDP; 08-20-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Don't know what it is... It happens occasionally during laps... Definitely not from TC since it happened at this point in the track. Definitely not RPM warning since I hit 5000+ most of the time. Definitely not the wing since it is in the permanent up position and disconnected.

Listen carefully, you'll hear the repeated beep right before the chicane. Seems to happen as I lift from the throttle... I'm going to pull all the fuses from the systems that are no longer installed, before my next event, see if that gets rid of it...

http://www.hollywooddigitalimaging.c...BEEP_Part1.mov
Sounds like the parking brake warning - beep-beep-beep.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by woody
Sounds like the parking brake warning - beep-beep-beep.
Well heck... Then I should get another 3-4 seconds faster with the parking brake disengaged. LOL

Old 08-20-2006, 05:15 PM

Well heck.. Then I should get another 3-4 seconds faster with the parking brake disengaged. LOL
...I had a similar problem on my Spider when I was running with the interior stripped. The wire to the handbrake lever switch was floating about between the seats and kept intermittently grounding causing the dash warning light to flash for no apparent reason.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:23 PM

Woody, BTW did you look at the video of my little tet 'a tet with the Lotus ?... He was surprised that I was back and forth with him throughout the track... He couldn't shake me... I have video of another Lotus that day which couldn't shake me either...

Not bad. I think the Crossfire is pretty dialed in now... I think they (Elise) are running 195 hp and 500 lbs lighter than me... And as you can see, the track I was running is very technical.

I guess I should put this in the racing forum... Sorry

Old 08-20-2006, 06:58 PM

Woody, BTW did you look at the video of my little tet 'a tet with the Lotus ?... He was surprised that I was back and forth with him throughout the track... He couldn't shake me... I have video of another Lotus that day which couldn't shake me either...

Not bad. I think the Crossfire is pretty dialed in now... I think they (Elise) are running 195 hp and 500 lbs lighter than me... And as you can see, the track I was running is very technical.

I guess I should put this in the racing forum... Sorry
Not seen it yet Derek, I'm going to download it and buckle-up for the ride in my office tomorrow. You know things are getting good when the Lotus guys start worrying.