Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Dealer service disaster!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer service disaster!!!

My Crossfire (bought used in April -- CARFAX'ed & mechanic checked that never in an accident) was out of alignment. Brought it to the dealer for a 4-wheel alignment. It cost five hundred dollars!!!, for 4.5 hours labor & caster and camber bolts. I requested the stats sheet showing the specs, and before and after measurements. After reviewing them I sent the following email to the service manager:

"Looking at the "Current Measurements" sheet, I noticed that 11 of the 12 alignment dimensions are now within the specified
range. I also noticed that for most of those, the outcome was at the periphery of the specified range. This is the most I've ever paid for a car alignment, and I understand that the complexities of the Crossfire are the justification for that, but when spending just shy of $500 for an alignment, I anticipated that all of the outcome dimensions would be near the center line of the specified ranges. Could you tell me why most of the others were more left or right than center?"

"I am concerned that there is a dimension that is out of range. The right rear camber is at -2.0 where the specified range is -1.6 to -0.6. Someone wrote an explanation on the sheet saying, "Rear camber is not adjustable." While I am aware that the rear camber is not adjustable, the "before" measurements on the paperwork you provided me show that when I brought the car there the rear camber was in range. It looks to me that before I came in, my rear camber was in alignment, and now that my services are completed my rear camber is irreversibly out of alignment. Please write me back to explain what happened."

The service manager responded:

"I spoke with the Crossfire mechanic and he explains the way the adjuster bolts are this is the best achievable results on the front, he can add or subtract 3.0 mm and that's it. As far as the rear when he made the before measurement the rear slip plates were locked and he noticed it on the final measurement. On the final measurement he unlocked the plates and that's when it showed up. He states, there is no visible damage on the rear wheel, frame or anything else. He told me on the first check on 11/10/06 it was barley in specs and we are talking about tenths of a degree not an inch so it is very small amount. He does not know why it has changed but he worked and worked on it until he got the best possible results. With rear camber on that vehicle to go any further it would need to go to a body shop and have some frame measurements, the Crossfire mechanic feels it so little that it will not affect the handling or life of the tires at this point I would recommend we monitor the tread on that side tire for abnormal wear and if non in the next 12,000 mile it will be ok. Please let me know what you think."

Do any forum members agree with this statement about the alignment only being minimally adjustable? I can't believe that on a car that MSRPs for 35K that is still under warranty, it can't be aligned to the center of the specs. Also what is a rear slip plate and why would they be unlocked? What is reasonable re-compensation if you bring the car to the dealer and they make out of range an alignment dimension that (1) can't be corrected and (2) was in range when you brought it in. I don't think we don't know how it happened is an acceptable answer, do you?

Any advice?

Last edited by crossfireGal; 11-21-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Dealer service disaster!!!

it really sucks that we're at the mercy of incompetent stooges. oh well roll the dice!

Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 PM

For $500 you could have taken it to MB and had a real mechanic do the work. You could take it to MB now and have it checked out, but you know they'll ding you some additional $$$. What a crime...we're all putting up with these idiotic chrysler dealer morons. They're promising me my 3 day transmission fix, that's been over 3 weeks now, will be done tomorrow. I'll take any bet that they don't get it done, and if they do, it won't be right.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular

I think you should talk to a service manager at an MB dealer. They will know a LOT more about what can and can not be done to adjust the car. Keep us updated as I believe this will be trouble for all of us sooner or latter.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hattrick78
For $500 you could have taken it to MB and had a real mechanic do the work. You could take it to MB now and have it checked out, but you know they'll ding you some additional $$$. What a crime...we're all putting up with these idiotic chrysler dealer morons. They're promising me my 3 day transmission fix, that's been over 3 weeks now, will be done tomorrow. I'll take any bet that they don't get it done, and if they do, it won't be right.
Too bad the repair didn't take an extra week and you could've just lemon lawed it. I hate to say it but the car will probably not be right once you get it back, that sucks!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did you take it to? I'm just curious.

Pat

Old 11-21-2006, 09:39 PM

Pat, I'll PM you.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:14 PM

That's why we call them "Stealerships". <BG>

Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Forum Regular

I think you got taken. These cars are not rocket science like everyone thinks. Fact is the only front suspension adjustment available is toe in/out, unless the car was hit, and needs the caster /camber bolts.

Yes the independent rear suspension has some more adjustments available (toe/camber) but again it is not rocket science.

You were screwed by the dealer. Sorry to be bearer of bad news.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

4.5 hr X $69 an hour = $310.50
How much were the parts?

Old 11-21-2006, 11:56 PM

Well the question now is when I went to the dealer the first time my right rear camber was -0.9 (in range). They did a rear toe alignment & then I had to wait a week while they ordered caster & camber bolts (though the car hasn't been in a crash). In the interim week I drove the car 100 miles (with no potholes or incidents) yet when I drove back in the right rear camber measured at -1.5 (in range). How could that change happen? And when I picked the car up after the 4-wheel alignment it was -2.0 (out of range). Does this mean they whacked the car, or can all the other adjustments throw that one off?

Old 11-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Re: Dealer service disaster!!!

Sorry to say, but for the price you paid the alignment should have been dead on bubble. Regarding your question whether one adjustment can throw the others off, yes. In my opinion their setup is in question and I would recommend taking the car to an independent alignment shop and have them check it for minimal fee, my local shop will do it for $30 if no adjustment is needed. If an independent shop finds it out of alignment you need to go back and request a refund for all labor and if the resist file a small claims suit. Unless there was serious damage $500 is extortion for a alignment. Personally 4.5 hour to do an alignment sounds like there was some OJT going on at your expense.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

XFgal,
This is just ridiculous. I'm gonna check with my mechanic of 22 yrs, to see who he would recommend in the area to work on your car. It may be here in Maryland, but at the prices you're paying now, it would be worth the gas and time to have it done correctly and at a reasonable price.

NOTE: anyone of our NVA group have any recommendations on good shops to work with on XF's, it would be helpful to know.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 AM

Slip Plates: Movable plates on an alignment rack that go under a vehicle's wheels that allow the suspension to settle prior to an alignment.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:10 PM

Well, I have a plan.

I spoke today with a mechanic friend of the family who lives in Delaware. This is the most reputable mechanic's shop I've ever known. The only reason I don't bring my Crossfire there for everything is because it's 150 miles away and I have no other need to go to Delaware. If anyone resides in Delaware PM me, and I'll provide the name and address. Anyway, he had his alignment guy review my mess of paperwork and he had nothing good to say.

He said he expects the car is still pulling (which it is), as the alignment dimensions in their totality are such that the car will not handle right and the tires will be torn up in no time. I'm going to bring the car to Delaware next week to get this mess straightened out, which will basically involve all manner of hassle and time off work to get there and back. I'm going to tell the service manager at the dealership that I want my money back. If he doesn't refund what I expended, he can be prepared to pay more when I sue, to include full refund, payment for the Delaware alignment, lost wages for my trip to Delaware, and lawyer's fees. Of course I can throw in an offer to name names on the Crossfire forum for all to see.

Here were my final measurements. If you have any words of advice on why these aren't good that I include in my letter, please post 'em. I have the anger, attitude, and perseverance necessary to fight the dealer, but want to make sure I word correctly what's not acceptable; please post anything that looks off in terms of the interrelationships:

Front Camber -- specs -0.9 to -1.5; result was -1.1 left, -1.0 right
Front Caster -- specs 5.7 to 4.7; result was 5.5 left, 5.5 right (couldn't these have been centered?)
Front Toe -- specs .08 to .25; result was .24 left, .17 right (both are in range but isn't it bad that they're nowhere near matching? isn't this the easiest one to get dead center?)

Rear Camber -- specs -0.6 to -1.6; result was -1.4 left, -2.0 right
Rear Toe -- specs .22 to .33; result was .24 left, .25 right
Total Toe -- specs .43 to .67; result was .5
Thrust angle -- spec at zero; result was -.01

Old 11-22-2006, 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles with these incompetent mechanics... I took my Srt6 in for an oil change and a tire rotation in a shop in Helena Montana and those guys there put my 19" tires in the front (in a srt6 the rims are 18" in front and 19" in the back)... as soon as I saw that I went back in and asked the guy who did the work cause he obviously doesn't know what he was doing. But it wasn't my local shop I was passing through and I will never stop there again.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:39 AM

stryfox, The parts were about $120. Think the labor rate is somewhat higher here.