Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Problem with 6 spd drivetrain

Old 10-28-2004, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with 6 spd drivetrain

To anyone with the 6-speed - have you noticed excessive play in the driveshaft? I can't tell where it's coming from, but something is loose somewhere between the gearbox and the rear wheels. If I'm cruising along and take my foot off the gas the car will jerk back and there will be an audible knocking/metal on metal noise. A good way to make this happen (as a test) is to cruise along at like 10mph in first gear...When you take your foot off the gas (without depressing the clutch) the car will jerk a little, as expected in that gear, but there will be a loud bang accompanied with it.

I called the dealer yesterday and talked to some dolt that said this was normal. However, I've never heard of this before and refuse to believe that a metal on metal banging noise is normal.

I will be calling the dealer again today and will speak to someone else, but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or has at least heard of it before. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Default Re: Proble with 6spd drivetrain

This could be the drive shaft, a knuckle connector bearing may have gone out.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds really strange. I myself don't own the 6 speed, howerever my good buddy (HDDP) does have the 6 speed. I will ask him today if he noticed anything like that. I know I didn't notice anything like you described, and I was just in his car yesterday. We both went do to the O.C. to check out the 2004-2005 International Car Show. There is some deffiinite head turners coming out for 2005.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:54 AM

saskins, if you could ask HDDP for me, that would be great. I just got off the phone with the service manager at my dealer and he said to bring the car by and he'll personally take a look at it. I've got an appointment Monday morning at 8, but I'd like to go in there knowing more than I do now so they can't try to pass it off as a normal sound.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular

I completely understand Sir. I will be seeing him today infact. So I will get back to you as soon as I get a chance. I hate going into dealships, especially when you know there clueless, and they try to give you taht old line "Well your blinker fluid is a quart low, and your muffler bearings are shot." "Heck not to mechion the bad air in your tires." LOL. Boy don't they have all the answers. Lets not forget they can fix all those problems for a small fee of 1000.00 or so. Don't worry TSAXMAN113
we'll get you schooled before you have to go in there Monday.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Forum Regular

I have never noticed any such noises coming from mine. I had a truck once that had too much slack in the read end. When you shifted into D, you'd hear a loud clunk a bit later as the slack was taken up. Any drivetrain is going to have some slack in it, but I'd say if it enough to cause any noticeable noises, it's not normal.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:00 AM

Yeah, this is a strange problem to have. I noticed it the day I drove the car off the lot, but attributed it to a poor shift. I've noticed the sound getting more and more frequent, though, and finally decided it was time to take it in. I appreciate everyone's help in the matter.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:11 AM

guys i also have had that problem a few times. i've only noticed it while driving in 1st gear. i'lll rev 1st to 2500 to 3000rps to get me moving but if i have to come to a stop before being able to switch into 2nd, the car will jerk a bit making that metal to metal tap sound. curious to hear what happens or what they discover.

edgar

Old 10-29-2004, 06:12 AM

Definately not normal. One thing I've learned about cars is banging and metal on metal, together or seperate, are never a good thing. Definately get it check out and dont let those "5 stars" service managers hustle you. I remember when my neon had a/c compressor problems and they told me it was because my new ignition were running to hot (huh!!!), even though they were the coolest running cables on the market, nology's. Then on another one they said my steering pump problems stemmed from the after market intake on my grand cherokee (huh!!!). Gotta love chrysler service. But i still love chryslers, ive had three.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular

Mine does something that sounds similar to what you're talking about.

Mine does it when using the engine to brake the vehicle. To prevent it, give it a little gas as you hit the clutch. Or just press the clutch more slowly. Either method will result in a smoother transition to unloading the drive-line

When I back out my driveway (up hill) and stop before backing into the street, if I just hit the clutch, I will hear thud and a noise that I'd say could come from slack in the driveline.

I'm not too worried about it. It could just be a little "give" in the tranny mounts causing the thud. And the metal to metal sound likely is just coming from the gears inside the tranny going from being loaded to unloaded and releasing a little "play" in the driveline.

I've already had the tranny rebuilt to fix the "popping out of first gear" problem and it did this before, and it still does it now. For as sloppy as the manual tranny is in this car, I'd consider it normal.

Last edited by Heb80; 10-29-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 PM

Heb80, it does sound like we're experiencing a similar (if not the same) thing. My thud, to me, seems excessive. It's not usually just a single sound that I hear, rather, it's almost like a reverberation of sorts - there's the initial thud and several smaller ones after that.

This gear box is very sloppy, though. It's scary to think that DCX has plans for using this exact same 6-speed in future models.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TSaxMan113
Heb80, it does sound like we're experiencing a similar (if not the same) thing. My thud, to me, seems excessive. It's not usually just a single sound that I hear, rather, it's almost like a reverberation of sorts - there's the initial thud and several smaller ones after that.

This gear box is very sloppy, though. It's scary to think that DCX has plans for using this exact same 6-speed in future models.
Those thuds, or as I would call them "clanks", is the slop inside the drive line.

For those of you not familiar with what I'm talking about, it is similar to the clanking associated with bucking a manual transmission car when someone is learning to drive stick.

The transmission in this car is sloppy, combine that with the fact that we have a very low 1st gear, and you have a situation requiring very smooth clutch operation by the driver.

I've driven cars that were so smooth that you couldn't get the car to buck if you tried. Our clutch grabs very tight and therefore takes some getting used to.

That's my $.02.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:20 PM

Thats usually clutch shudder though, from too little clutch. I personally have no problems with first gear, although i stalled when i took it for a test drive. just took a sec to get used too, on of those cars were you only should engage the clutch about half of the throw to get smooth clutch action

Old 10-29-2004, 02:28 PM

Well whatever it may be, we'll find out soon enough. The car has to go in for a host of other minor problems, so if this excessive noise really is normal, then at least I'm still getting the rest of my stuff fixed.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:47 AM

Just an update on this - It's now day 2. I called at 8am to find out the status of my car and the service manager said they had the back end of the car disassembled and they'd hopefully have it put back together by the end of the day today. Apparently that knocking noise shouldn't have been there, but I won't know the exact cause until I go pick the car up.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:03 AM

My guess is that you got universal joint problems at the rear end half shafts. One or more universal joints have too much slop in them and causing the clunking noise. Of course could also be the universal joint going into the differential; same problem just different location. I have a 6speed too but no problem at this point. I have experienced this clunking noise problems with 1 or 2 Corvettes and this rear-end drive is very similar.
Let's see how close I am to diagnosing this problem. Let us know specifically what the problem is.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:01 PM

Just an update - the dealer just called and said they couldn't find anything wrong. They heard the noise, agreed it shouldn't be there, but don't have a solution. Go figure.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:21 PM

Take it to another dealer where they might be more competent. If not tell them that your next vehicle will be GM (meaning Corvette).

Old 11-02-2004, 04:28 PM

This dealer only has one shot at getting the car fixed. I'm really liking the new GTO with the LS2...

Old 11-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Forum Regular

I have the same thing that Heb80 described. But its more of a going out of gear sound, not a letting off the throttle sound. And its a noticable thunk that I think the driver can feel/hear but it doesn't sound necessarily bad.

Quick Reply: Problem with 6 spd drivetrain