Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Not starting

Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting

The key fob will not unlock the vehicle remotely. I replaced batteries and it still does not work. I open the door the old fashioned way and turn the key , but the vehicle will not start. Electronics work ( radio, fan, all lights, etc.) and the lock cylinder turns as normal. However, the vehicle will not even attempt to start. Additionally the hazard lights will blink for a few minutes and then shut off even after key is removed. I assume this is some kind of built in 'warning' system. Any thoughts ? I called the local dealership and was advised this is not a common problem.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Not starting

Sounds suspiciously like an old battery on it's way out.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:32 PM

I have the same problem minus the flashing lights. did you find a remedy?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by backinblack
I called the local dealership and was advised this is not a common problem.
Two things:

1) I doubt the dealership can say what is or is not a common problem, they know so little about these cars.
2) Don't call a dealership again and for CRYING OUT LOUD, don't let them near the car.

I'm with George - go get a cheap voltmeter at Radio Shack or Lowes; stick the probes on the battery terminals and make a note of the voltage reading, it should be 12.0 to 12.7 volts.

THEN turn the headlights on, note the voltage - you should see no more than .2 to .3 volt drop in what you see above. Note this voltage.

NOW, have a friend turn the key to start, and make a note of two things:
A) Note the voltage. (If it is under about 11.5 volts, the battery is just too weak)
B) Did the headlights dim briefly when the key was turned to start? If the battery voltage stays up around 12.5 volts, but the car still wont engage the starter AND the lights briefly dimmed, it's because the battery can't provide enough current and the drop in voltage that caused the lights to dim down confused the ECM and it is refusing to even try to engage the starter. It CAN be that you have such corroded/dirty battery terminals that the battery is actually ok, but not enough current can flow to run the starter. By turning lights on, you can "see" the voltage dip and recover easier than with the meter.

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And if battery seems ok, disconnect it for a minute, then reconnect and try again.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...start-car.html

Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by backinblack
The key fob will not unlock the vehicle remotely. I replaced batteries and it still does not work. I open the door the old fashioned way and turn the key , but the vehicle will not start. Electronics work ( radio, fan, all lights, etc.) and the lock cylinder turns as normal. However, the vehicle will not even attempt to start. Additionally the hazard lights will blink for a few minutes and then shut off even after key is removed. I assume this is some kind of built in 'warning' system. Any thoughts ? I called the local dealership and was advised this is not a common problem.

Did you determine the battery is good? There is a fix on a module that is responsible for starting your car but make sure everything else is good first. Mine is a 2004 and had to correct some bad solder joints in a module I believe in or near the fusebox. I don't know the year of your car and I don't know the years that were involved, it's been a while. If needed I can look up some info on the fix if it applies to your car.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Fixed and fixed and fixed. Did i say it was fixed? Oh yeah. It is fixed. Took all of 30 minutes to remove solder and install the module and yes it works. You guys rock for posting the solution. Thank you. Btw my board looked fine no visual problems present. I did the repair anyway and it fixed the problem, so for those who think their board is fine, hit it with the solder anyway and give the pin a good long hit with the iron, make sure the pin is good and hot before you add solder it will seep in nicely forming a good bond.