Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

ugh! crankshaft position sensor

Old 06-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ugh! crankshaft position sensor

I was having an issue with starting my car it would start in the morning but after a short drive it would take several tries to get it going. I was told it could be the crank sensor so i replaced it. I drove it for a day with no issues then it the same issue resurfaced then the check engine light goes on ugh! so i get it diagnosed and the code p0341 pops up the camshaft position sensor. so I`m buying one tomorrow I hope this does the trick.
The question I have has anyone else have similar issues and what did you do to correct the issues.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: ugh! crankshaft position sensor

Originally Posted by roychez
I was having an issue with starting my car it would start in the morning but after a short drive it would take several tries to get it going. I was told it could be the crank sensor so i replaced it. I drove it for a day with no issues then it the same issue resurfaced then the check engine light goes on ugh! so i get it diagnosed and the code p0341 pops up the camshaft position sensor. so I`m buying one tomorrow I hope this does the trick.
The question I have has anyone else have similar issues and what did you do to correct the issues.

Only one tidbit of advice, BUY A BOSCH SENSOR!

Old 06-06-2015, 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=GraphiteGhost;838462] Only one tidbit of advice, BUY A BOSCH SENSOR!
Bought Bosch crank and Mercedes cam shaft sensor and
it`s running great starts like a champ and no check engine light.
now my remote on fob key is out.......

Old 06-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Change the FOB battery, they don't last forever!

Old 06-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Pretty close to forever, last ones were no less than five years old....

Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 PM

new batteries in fob keyless works
new cam and crank shaft position sensors all good to go.........
all i need is a state inspection

Old 08-27-2022, 05:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by roychez
I know this post is old. But my crossfire starts up and runs no problem. If get to my destination and try to start it again it will crank with no start
3-4 time an in the 5th time it starts right up. Sometimes it only takes two try’s. I have replaced both cam & crank sensors. Anybody else out here in crossfire world experience this
thanks in advance. Richb55

Old 08-27-2022, 10:55 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

My next move would be to replace or repair the RCM. Relay Control Module. Could be a fuel pump relay issue on the RCM. James

Old 08-27-2022, 11:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
My next move would be to replace or repair the RCM. Relay Control Module. Could be a fuel pump relay issue on the RCM. James
I have a new RCM just going thru process of elimination
Thanks for the info 👍

Old 08-28-2022, 10:08 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anyone know if MB has over the years encountered continuous problems with their 3.2L engine cam and crank position sensors failing. It's hard for me to understand why XF's have so many problems with position sensors. They are basically very simple devices which should last for a long time. Maybe the problem is within the control receiving the pulse signaling from the sensor.
My 2005 roadster has 36K miles and I replaced the cam and crank sensors with Bosch. The original sensors are good and now in my trunk as spares. I replaced these sensors based on the posting info found on this forum.
Has anyone ever formulated a very simple easy-to-follow list of things to check or steps for recovery when problems occur on the road? If not, this would be very helpful to many especially those who are not technically knowledgeable about even some of the basics of our XF operation.
Cheers,
Jack

Old 08-28-2022, 11:42 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack G
Does anyone know if MB has over the years encountered continuous problems with their 3.2L engine cam and crank position sensors failing. It's hard for me to understand why XF's have so many problems with position sensors. They are basically very simple devices which should last for a long time. Maybe the problem is within the control receiving the pulse signaling from the sensor.
My 2005 roadster has 36K miles and I replaced the cam and crank sensors with Bosch. The original sensors are good and now in my trunk as spares. I replaced these sensors based on the posting info found on this forum.
Has anyone ever formulated a very simple easy-to-follow list of things to check or steps for recovery when problems occur on the road? If not, this would be very helpful to many especially those who are not technically knowledgeable about even some of the basics of our XF operation.
Cheers,
Jack

Jack, MANY of the (if not all) CPS sensors going wacko was/is because non-Bosch sensors were used AND it seemed the connectors were of a design not compatible with the crossfire terminals at the sensor connection. When Bosch branded (non-cloned) were procured, the problem went away. This has been my interpretation of the CPS/XF issues for the majority of CPS related issues where the CPS 'circuit' was the fault location.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack G
Ive been here almost thirteen years and I can tell you: Just go over to MBworld - where do you think WE got the clue as to what was going on? The M112 is known for this, its' not a CROSSFIRE issue, it an M112 issue.

Iv'e been here, again, thirteen years. I can count on the fingers of ONE hand how many times the cam sensor was PROVEN to be a problem. Now, as to Crank sensors - they fail almost as often as RCMs and way more often than fuel pumps. [/quote]

Cheers,
Jack
Yes, carry a spare BOSCH CPS. In order to verify you have a good part, order one and put it in. If the engine likes it, then put the old one in the trunk as a spare. Better yet, do what I did - order one and put it in. Once I verified I had the right, authentic good BOSCH part, I ordered another as a spare.

It is a VERY good idea to order a spare RCM as well. And with the RCM (which fails very often) you can change it without any real skills or any tools. They plug in and are held in place with a spring-thingy, again, no tools needed.

The following users liked this post:
Tpt1st (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Cheers,
Jack
Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Jack, MANY of the (if not all) CPS sensors going wacko was/is because non-Bosch sensors were used AND it seemed the connectors were of a design not compatible with the crossfire terminals at the sensor connection. When Bosch branded (non-cloned) were procured, the problem went away. This has been my interpretation of the CPS/XF issues for the majority of CPS related issues where the CPS 'circuit' was the fault location.
Early on, we had cars failing left and right. What I mean is, the SAME car was failing left and right.
The reason is in bold italic above. Once we learned this, and once we got people to LISTEN and stop buying generic sensors at Autozone, issues died down.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:11 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I believe a lot of the CPS failures are because of the location. Very hot down in that small area between the firewall, exhaust, etc. Mine failed sitting at a long red light. Pushed it over to the side, opened the hood for a while, started and straight back home to replace it. James

Old 08-30-2022, 06:32 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I believe a lot of the CPS failures are because of the location. Very hot down in that small area between the firewall, exhaust, etc. Mine failed sitting at a long red light. Pushed it over to the side, opened the hood for a while, started and straight back home to replace it. James
I remember seeing an SRT-6 at a Cars & Coffee event a few years back that had some sort of insulation boot that fit over the CPS. Looked really slick & probably kept his CPS relatively cool compared to others. And I'm in agreement that heat exposure is the most likely failure mode on these sensors.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:11 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Who’s to say the insulation boot doesn’t hold the heat in????