Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Attempting headliner repair

Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Attempting headliner repair

I'm glad things worked out for you. It helps to have an extra hand when installing the material, my brother acted as my assistant.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah putting the headliner back in was kind of a pain doing it all solo.. Although I think having the front pillars still on helped alot.. It let me feed the headliner into the pillars, and they kind of held it there so that I could then go to the back of the car and put in the plastic plugs to hold the rest of it in place. Then it was just a matter of putting on the sun visors and light units and the back pillars.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To follow up on the removal of the adhesive, Brake Cleaner works wonders. Gently soaking a small section at a time and giving it 5 - 10 seconds to settle in and the adhesive just brushes away with a hand held wire brush. It takes it back to the base board. I was able to remove half of the headliner in two times through "Stairway to Heaven". Hey if you're going to inhale fumes go with the mood!! Now, who knows how long Stairway to Heaven runs?
Another tip. Don't use any kind of rollers or tools to lay the new cloth down. After experimentation, again, I found that just starting at the center line of the headliner and working out in 6" sections using an open hand and gently pushing the cloth out it turns out perfect. Check for bubbles being sure to look from all angles. Lighting will hide some bubbles.
Anyway good luck to anyone who tries. It really isn't too hard. Mine was a one day project including trying different techniques.