Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Ignition Locked - New Cylinder Cost

Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Locked - New Cylinder Cost

After describing the problem ( steering wheel, ignition & transmission locked), my mechanic advised that he probably needs to replace the cylinder on the ignition.

Any advice on cost expectations.

Can the transmission be unlocked so I can push the car back to be towed?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ignition Locked - New Cylinder Cost

sounds like the sticky ignition problem. read the sticky ignition thread
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post681520

Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ssammons
After describing the problem ( steering wheel, ignition & transmission locked), my mechanic advised that he probably needs to replace the cylinder on the ignition.

Slide the silver and black "RNDP" cover forward, find a small notch under the cover, push it with a screw driver and it will release the gear lock and allow you to put the car in neutral. The ignition solenoid should run about $800. Try to get it from a MB Dealership as opposed to Chrysler because they have them in stock. Chrysler has a mark up on that part. Labor is gonna cost ya a bit as well. Good luck.

P.S. The tow truck operator should know how to unlock the tranny. They do it all the time.

Last edited by ichon; 07-26-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

The only thing you should replace is the mechanic. It sounds like the problem rekah describes above. Do not replace any part, fix what you have by removing the pin as outlined in the post and live happily ever after. Replace the part and it will eventually fail as well.

If you cannot do it get the mechanic to read the article and do it for you, it will cost no more than two hours work, more like one and a half hours labor.

Can you remove the key?

Old 07-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The only thing you should replace is the mechanic. It sounds like the problem rekah describes above. Do not replace any part, fix what you have by removing the pin as outlined in the post and live happily ever after. Replace the part and it will eventually fail as well.

If you cannot do it get the mechanic to read the article and do it for you, it will cost no more than two hours work, more like one and a half hours labor.

Can you remove the key?
Listen to what onehundred80 and rekah said! Anything your mechanic or anyone else said is a load of rubbish, this is a HUGELY common issue on the Crossfire and I had the exact same problem few months ago!

I followed the steps on the thread that rekah posted and it worked perfect. Therefore problem solved!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Is there any risk not having the spring and pin replaced?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Is there any risk not having the spring and pin replaced?
NO. This has been researched and most of us here have done the mod and all is well. Mine locked up two years ago, since then, I have put 50,000 miles on mine - no issues. I did the repair myself following the tutorial on this board - and I'm no mechanic.

Those who replace the assembly eventually go thru it all over again - it is a design flaw that was never addressed.

Do the mod as described and forget about it!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
NO. This has been researched and most of us here have done the mod and all is well. Mine locked up two years ago, since then, I have put 50,000 miles on mine - no issues. I did the repair myself following the tutorial on this board - and I'm no mechanic.

Those who replace the assembly eventually go thru it all over again - it is a design flaw that was never addressed.

Do the mod as described and forget about it!
What he said! Like i said it worked for all of us and its a proven solution.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Smile Re: Ignition Locked - New Cylinder Cost

Had my mechanic follow the fix instructions recommended on this thread. $160 in labor to remove the pin/spring as instructed. Works fine now. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 PM

My 04 xfire justed locked up at the bank. Sat here for over 2hours waiting for a tow lol. Key will not turn and steering wheel is locked, key is removable but will not turn. It has been hard to turn on several occasions and it completely quit. I have read through the "sticky fix"can I just remove the one I have and take out the pin and spring? and all is good again or do I need to buy a new unit then mod it? If anyone has done the mod did you just pull the old unit and trash the spring and pin under the cover and back in buisness?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndtonone
My 04 xfire justed locked up at the bank. Sat here for over 2hours waiting for a tow lol. Key will not turn and steering wheel is locked, key is removable but will not turn. It has been hard to turn on several occasions and it completely quit. I have read through the "sticky fix"can I just remove the one I have and take out the pin and spring? and all is good again or do I need to buy a new unit then mod it? If anyone has done the mod did you just pull the old unit and trash the spring and pin under the cover and back in buisness?
Just fix the one in your car and you are good to go.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:42 PM

thanks just what i needed. saving money!!!