Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

SKREEM question

Old 01-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Re: SKREEM question

Thank you everyone for all the information.

My wife's 2004 coupe has just started having trouble with the key fobs not opening the doors, or turning the alarm off. This happened after it had been parked outside for two weeks. There was quite a lot of rain during this time. The alarm is blinking and siren sounds when I open the door. I can get the alarm siren to stop by turning on the ignition and then turning it off. But the alarm light keeps blinking. The engine won't start. I have charged the battery and tried to resync the fob. But no change. I pulled fuse #9 and the alarm siren sounds when I pull the fuse.

Does this sound like a SKREEM or water related issue?

Thank you,

John and Terry

Old 01-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: SKREEM question

Originally Posted by John&Terry
Does this sound like a SKREEM or water related issue?
Water in electronics causes strange symptoms, have you taken the trunk liner up and cover off of the locking module?

Old 01-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look under the mat in the trunk and locate the foam block that fills the bottom of the right (passenger) side trunk well. you should see a deep cavity in the foam block. take a screwdriver and poke a hole through the bottom of the cavity. The foam is only about 3/8 inch thick, and it is the lowest part of the trunk. Enlarge the hole with the screwdriver just to be sure water can seep through. If water percolates up through the hole you have a problem.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:07 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by fastfunfor2
Look under the mat in the trunk and locate the foam block that fills the bottom of the right (passenger) side trunk well. you should see a deep cavity in the foam block. take a screwdriver and poke a hole through the bottom of the cavity. The foam is only about 3/8 inch thick, and it is the lowest part of the trunk. Enlarge the hole with the screwdriver just to be sure water can seep through. If water percolates up through the hole you have a problem.
This is the pocket he is talking about, the one with the tools in it.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John & Terry,

Still working on my diagnosis from the issues you described which started this thread for me... however, still also driving my 2005 coupe in the meantime with Fuse #9 removed, I know, some say I'm asking for trouble but if I didn't have a way to work I'd be asking for more trouble in the form of a pink slip

You'll need to disconnect the battery, then remove the fuse, the reconnect the battery for the alarm not to sound when you remove it. Hope this helps and 5 days in, just to update, still no adverse effects with the fuse out and driving normally, other than getting lots of stretching exercises forgetting to lock my passenger door before getting out and having to reach back in to do so before using the key to lock my driver's door... maybe that's a good side effect...I'm now doing Yoga and not having to pay an instructor...

stay tuned...

Last edited by mmcandre; 01-31-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This is the pocket he is talking about, the one with the tools in it.

So tell me why you keep a pair of needle nose pliers & a putty knife in the trunk? Curious!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
So tell me why you keep a pair of needle nose pliers & a putty knife in the trunk? Curious!
They are not normally there, but as you can see I was working on the car at the time. I cannot remember what exactly I was doing but the putty knife lifts the pin in the centre of the trim retainers and the pliers are used to grab the pin and pull it out. I have a plastic tool for that now.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

They are not normally there, but as you can see I was working on the car at the time. I cannot remember what exactly I was doing but the putty knife lifts the pin in the centre of the trim retainers and the pliers are used to grab the pin and pull it out. I have a plastic tool for that now.
Makes perfect sense to me. Needle nose pliers is what I used in the past to remove those pins. Only difference was I used a thin bladed screwdriver to lift the pin slightly until I could get the pliers underneath to lift/pry. And like you, I also have a plastic pin removal tool for this now.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Makes perfect sense to me. Needle nose pliers is what I used in the past to remove those pins. Only difference was I used a thin bladed screwdriver to lift the pin slightly until I could get the pliers underneath to lift/pry. And like you, I also have a plastic pin removal tool for this now.
Great minds think alike.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM

Hey, just an update... so still have not revisited the original issue which I am still pretty sure is the SKREEM module in my vehicle but just wanted to provide a real use update on my work around "remove fuse #9" fix.

Still driving my car, no issues. Granted, like I mentioned in a number of my previous posts, I have to manually lock my doors and the security feature is disabled without this fuse in but I do have my car to drive on a daily basis and have even taken it twice on long (5 hr one way trips) with no issues.

Just wanted to follow up. I will at some point invest in having this resolved but for anyone searching the boards with this all to common issue.... just letting you know this is out there as a semi-long term work around...

Thanks!!!!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcandre
Hey, just an update... so still have not revisited the original issue which I am still pretty sure is the SKREEM module in my vehicle but just wanted to provide a real use update on my work around "remove fuse #9" fix.

Still driving my car, no issues. Granted, like I mentioned in a number of my previous posts, I have to manually lock my doors and the security feature is disabled without this fuse in but I do have my car to drive on a daily basis and have even taken it twice on long (5 hr one way trips) with no issues.

Just wanted to follow up. I will at some point invest in having this resolved but for anyone searching the boards with this all to common issue.... just letting you know this is out there as a semi-long term work around...

Thanks!!!!

Thank you for that. I still have no idea about the cause or the likelihood of "Skeem" failure/malfunction.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Update: Just logging in to update anyone who is interested... I've had this 'work around' in place now since the beginning of the year (removing Fuse #9) and again, other than the side effects (no interior light (I don't really drive at night), old school key use manually locking/unlocking doors, and no alarm)... my Crossfire continues to get me to and from anywhere I've needed to go. I'm sure at some point I'll suck it up and have the SKREEM replaced but if you are in the same boat I was (not really wanting to be without my vehicle, no tried and trusted mechanics in area to perform work, and didn't want to come off a few hundred to get it done when it occurred) just know... you have this option (I guess now ... long term if you need it).

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
redsnake (03-31-2021)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
Smile Re: SKREEM question

That is very good to know; THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

THANKS also, leave it to an Alabama guy to figure out an easy way around the SKREEM dilemma

Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
THANKS also, leave it to an Alabama guy to figure out an easy way around the SKREEM dilemma
I think that the poster is a gal not a guy at least it was at the start of the thread. Maybe a sex change?
Anyway I think the problem lies in the CLP/SSM and not the SKREEM. Fuse #9 is for the siren and a few other items as outlined previously. If getting around the SKREEM was that easy there would be more Crossfires stolen.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:18 PM
THREE 6S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the poster is a gal not a guy at least it was at the start of the thread. Maybe a sex change?
Anyway I think the problem lies in the CLP/SSM and not the SKREEM. Fuse #9 is for the siren and a few other items as outlined previously. If getting around the SKREEM was that easy there would be more Crossfires stolen.
I tend to agree, having gone through one SKREEM replacement. The SKREEM is "looking" for the chip in the FOB. The car will crank but won't turnover, you get 3 trys and then the car won't crank unless you disconnect/reconnect the battery.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Just curious and maybe uninformed but what are the CLP and SSM?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Central Locking Pump / Security System Module

Old 09-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
As per ala_xfire it is the pump in the trunk that locks the doors and looks after security in general.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for posting about fuse #9! It works!!! The Mercedes mechanic did it for us, he said it had to cycle through a few times, but after disconnecting the battery, removing fuse #9, he got it going. Running great now.

Originally Posted by mmcandre
okay, so just happened upon the SKREEM threads and luckily upon the 'remove fuse #9 remedy" to keep me from having to tow it home (although not sure how I would have even gotten a tow out of the parking garage I was parked in at the time... anyway)... CF is home in my garage now without Fuse #9 in place.

Question is... if I am not concerned with my alarm system (siren has been turned off since I bought it 4 yrs ago anyway), the key fob functioning (will just deal with unlocking it manually) or the interior lights (not that functional or bright anyway and always have my phone which I can light whatever I need to see if it's dark out)... what is the harm in simply leaving Fuse #9 out permanently so I don't have to deal with the replacement of the SKREEM module? (Or trying to find a technician who has experience with a Crossfire). Any downsides other than those I've mentioned???

Thanks for potentially developing a work around to having to inform my husband that we need to take my baby to a dealership and drop a sizable check to keep me happy.

Thanks for any insight.