TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Start Enable not Sent (Error 2071)

Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start Enable not Sent (Error 2071)

Hi,
I’m currently having a problem with a 2004 crossfire. The initial problem was related to the ignition switch, in which the key would not turn. It was towed to the Chrysler dealer who informed me the problem was with the ignition switch and ignition housing.
After replacing the ignition switch and housing the car did start initially, but after attempting to start it again when the installation was completed the car failed to start and the error code 2071 (Start enable not sent). The mechanics are not sure what the problem is currently and was hoping this forum might have some insight. They don’t have too much experience on the car.
Any help would anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Kevin

Old 08-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Start Enable not Sent (Error 2071)

Auto or manual? (Yea, it makes a difference, learned that last month. )

I can't help you, but the guys who eventually show up will PROBABLY ask the above question, so you might as well tell us now!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:37 PM

its an automatic,its actually my daughters car.when she took it to the chrysler dealer they said the ignition housing was on backorder and wouldnt arrive till the end of october so i purchased one from the local Mercedes dealer,they supplied the igniton switch which was readily available.The car has now been broke down for 6weeks its very frustrating.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:06 PM

I Would Down Load Service Manual And Look At The Ignition Switch Section.

I Would Also Search The Forum For Ignition Switch Replace.

This Would At Least Get You Up To Speed On Operation And Replacement.

You Would Then Know More Than Most Chrysler Certified Mechanics.

Good Luck

Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by hykeham
Hi,
I’m currently having a problem with a 2004 crossfire. The initial problem was related to the ignition switch, in which the key would not turn. It was towed to the Chrysler dealer who informed me the problem was with the ignition switch and ignition housing.
After replacing the ignition switch and housing the car did start initially, but after attempting to start it again when the installation was completed the car failed to start and the error code 2071 (Start enable not sent). The mechanics are not sure what the problem is currently and was hoping this forum might have some insight. They don’t have too much experience on the car.
Any help would anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Kevin
Does the engine turn over using the starter motor or not?
I would really be wary of a dealer that tells you that the problem lay in the ignition switch, I would have thought that was obvious, duh.
The ignition switch does not need to replaced when the key will not turn, you should have come here first and saved a bunch of cash.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:06 PM

The original problem was the ignition switch, the tumblers in the switch were broken so the key would not turn to the first position. After replacing the part, the switch now cranks the engine but the engine will not start due to error code 2071, which could be something the mechanics have done to create a new problem.
Next week the mechanics are going to be in contact with Mercedes to hopefully walk them through the problem. Appreciate the help so far, thanks, especially the manual which should be useful. I’ll have a good look at the manual if Chrysler doesn’t get anywhere. If anyone has anymore ideas that would be much appreciated as anything at this point would be helpful.
Specifically any ideas of the error code 2071.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 AM

Good news car is fixed.mechanic said it was a bad wire,i have my doubts about that,but i ihave been busy on other things so im just relieved its back on the road. They gave my daughter a break on the bill due to the delays and other things, so they were pretty happy to see it gone as well.