TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

"Fixing" the Pesky Ashtray 2.0

Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Fixing" the Pesky Ashtray 2.0

So today i finally got the time to take apart my dash to see what was actually wrong with the Ashtray. I figured there was some sort of spring in there that I would be able to remove and then just manually push/pull it.

Taking it apart is already explained pretty well in this thread I link below.
Only real probably i came across was that because i didn't have any real tools so i mostly used a small flat head screw driver. The only thing i did wrong was put slight marks in the #1 as i was torquing it off with my screw driver. Also, the numbers are not real clear on there, but you can figure it out pretty easy. Also not noted, there are 2 screws after you take the CD player out, but they're pretty noticeable.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...in-holder.html

When you pull it out (if it's broken) it will probably look like this. That golden metal band is the spring which pushes the ash tray out.

The plastic cover in the picture is what broke off, and i found it underneath the ashtray. It is supposed to clip back ontop of the ash tray spring mechanism to help guide the locking mechanism.

This piece that i have circled is supposed to swivel into a position that allows it to catch when pushed all the way back. Then pushed again it unlocked.

Assembled it is supposed to look like it. If you play with it you can get the plastic piece to snap back into where it was supposed to be. Even with that piece back on I couldn't get it to catch so i decided to take the golden spring off and leave it as that.

With the spring out, you just have to push it in and pull it out. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, and I don't have to worry about it failing on me anymore. There's also interesting peices of clear plastic a holder on the bottom of the Ashtray. If anyone takes this Ashtray apart and figures out what it's for im very intrigued, please let me know!

Also the last thing you will need once you reassmble everything.

Good Luck!

Last edited by killerkanadian; 09-29-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: "Fixing" the Pesky Ashtray 2.0

Those clear pieces of plastic are light tube type things that direct the light from the source to the ashtray.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 AM

I didn't feel like taking the radio out to get to my ashtray which wouldn't lock in anymore. Instead, I got a small piece of foam rubber, and drilled a couple holes in the top edge of the silver flipper door to attach it with two countersunk screws. Now when you push it in it stays in, and I can pull on the rubber tab and it opens.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM

I am going to try and tackle this project,but I cant get the pics to open here:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...in-holder.html

Any help with the pics in the write?