Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Who Did And Didn't

Old 06-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who Did And Didn't

Who did and who didn't install rear camber kits when lowering your car with just springs, like the Eibach Pro Kit? I'm not getting much info. on the post I made in the SRT6 section, I've finally found the rear camber kit, but it's as much as the springs were. I just need to know how bad the tires are going to lean in and wear if I don't buy the adjustable rear camber kit. I'm guessing that the dealership will be able to straighten up the front pretty close to where it needs to be.
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds,
Steve

Old 06-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who Did And Didn't

Sorry I don't have the exact answer you're looking for, but please realize that having negative camber is not necessarily an evil thing. In fact, in the right doses, it can be a very good thing. Also, toe eats up tires worse than camber does. A couple degrees of camber with zero toe shouldn't really be a big deal for tire wear.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not install the camber kit. I have used the Eibach pro kit on many cars over the years and have not had a problem with tire wear on one edge or the other. I didn't feel the need to get the kit for the x-fire either. I think the more you lower a car, the more the camber is affected.

Now, if I dropped the car 3 inches or more, I would definitely get a camber kit to toe out.

Mike

Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by laloggia
I did not install the camber kit. I have used the Eibach pro kit on many cars over the years and have not had a problem with tire wear on one edge or the other. I didn't feel the need to get the kit for the x-fire either. I think the more you lower a car, the more the camber is affected.

Now, if I dropped the car 3 inches or more, I would definitely get a camber kit to toe out.

Mike
The kit I bought said it would only drop the car 1.2 inches, at the time I didn't realize that the rear camber was not adjustable at all, that's just not right you would think they would have built the car with a little adjustment allowable. I was just as worried about what the car would look like from behind as mush as tire wear, can you tell that the tops of your rear tires are leaning in from looking at it from the rear? I have a friend with a lift thats going to help me do the install so I was trying to get some input on weather or not to get the rear camber kit ordered so I can do it all at once. As far as the front end goes, I would think there should be enough adjustment to align it, which I planned on having a full alignment done anyway.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by laloggia
I did not install the camber kit. I have used the Eibach pro kit on many cars over the years and have not had a problem with tire wear on one edge or the other.
~ same here... and no wear issues...

so didn't.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by andrew
~ same here... and no wear issues...

so didn't.
Did you have a front alignment done? And the same question I asked Mike, from the rear view of the car can you tell that the top of the tires are leaning in?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
Did you have a front alignment done? And the same question I asked Mike, from the rear view of the car can you tell that the top of the tires are leaning in?
i did attempt to have an alignment completed but...

it was still in aligned once lowered... no adjustments could be made via the alignment company when i took it in. they only charged me to check it (tracks perfect with no wear front or rear).

and you are correct negative camber indeed in the rear... but no inner wear of the tires.

hope this helps.

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular

Didn't use it.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:49 PM

it was still in aligned once lowered... no adjustments could be made via the alignment company when i took it in. they only charged me to check it (tracks perfect with no wear front or rear).

and you are correct negative camber indeed in the rear... but no inner wear of the tires.

hope this helps.

Thanks for going to the trouble with the pictures Andrew, does the drivers side lean in more than the passengers side does or is it just the angle of the camera? That's weird about the front, if it had negative camber I would have thought an alignment shop would have adjusted it or did the front not have negative camber? The front does look straight up & down in the pictures. Oh and I think I see a speck on the left side of your rear bumper.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
The front does look straight up & down in the pictures.

Oh and I think I see a speck on the left side of your rear bumper.
~ the front really has no negative camber... just the rear.

~ you spotted it... indeed dusty - dirty... about a week of dry road dirt.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 AM

Your car looked clean, I was just giving you a hard time. That's what I like about white vehicles, they don't show dust & light dirt. Most of the new vehicle's my wife and I have bought have been white, since 1988 we have bought 10 new white vehicle's. But back on the camber subject, I got my car out of the garage this morning and parked it on good level concrete in the drive. I gave it a good looking over and all four tires are already leaning in at the top, so that kind of worries me about how much more they are going to lean in after installing the Eibach Pro Kit. I hate to blow another $250 on a rear camber kit, but I am planning on keeping this little SRT6 forever, this is going to be a tuff choice.

Steve

Old 06-14-2007, 05:15 PM

As I stated in my last post, all four of my SRT6 tires lean in at the top so this negative camber thing had me worried about what the car would look like after installing the lowering springs. This morning I called the local Chrysler dealership and got to talk with their alignment guy, he did tell me that the SRT6 has a bit more negative camber than a regular Crossfire. I told him that I was going to be installing a set of lowering springs and asked him if the front end of a Crossfire had any adjustment for camber. He said that he had never aligned a Crossfire, but he would get out the books and check it out for me and call me back. When he called me back he said there was no adjustment, but Chrysler had a kit for the front called an eccentric camber bolt kit for $14 a side, so I ordered a set for the front then got on E-Bay and ordered a KMAC rear camber kit from a place called import auto performance for $244.95 shipped. We also had a talk about Crossfires and he said him and some of the guy's at the shop were on the internet looking at the discounts that were being offered on the SRT6's and they just couldn't believe that Chrysler was dropping the prices as low as they were.

Last edited by Steve Hellums; 06-14-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Forum Regular

Message Deleted

Last edited by AMGLover; 09-05-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by AMGLover
Steve what are the spring rates on the Eibach springs?
If you mean the price, I got mine through ajusa.com for $250.07 delivered for the Eibach Pro Kit. If you meant weight rates, I have no clue.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular

Message Deleted

Last edited by AMGLover; 09-05-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Dude call Eibach and find out what are the spring rates! Hey I want you to be safe, and since you are one of the few guys here who get your crossfire over 150 mph the modification your drive train has greater impact then the other pavement princesses who never get it past 90 mph. Oh and you have had a bad run in with a pole...

The SRT-6 Coupe and Roadster models are tuned differently, to their own unique characteristics. The Coupe's spring rates are 451 lb./in. in the front and 480 lb./in. in the rear, while the Roadster's are 434 lb./in. in the front and 451 lb./in. in the rear. So you may over spring the car which may cause you to loose down force or in the worst case loose contact with the pavement – really bad thing at 160 mph.
I really never gave the spring rates a thought, but too late now everything is on the way to do the job. But I will look into the rates just to know what the differences are. As far as the high speeds go I don't do that kind of speeds but on rare occasions.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:44 PM

Dude call Eibach and find out what are the spring rates! Hey I want you to be safe, and since you are one of the few guys here who get your crossfire over 150 mph the modification your drive train has greater impact then the other pavement princesses who never get it past 90 mph. Oh and you have had a bad run in with a pole...

The SRT-6 Coupe and Roadster models are tuned differently, to their own unique characteristics. The Coupe's spring rates are 451 lb./in. in the front and 480 lb./in. in the rear, while the Roadster's are 434 lb./in. in the front and 451 lb./in. in the rear. So you may over spring the car which may cause you to loose down force or in the worst case loose contact with the pavement – really bad thing at 160 mph.
I checked into spring rates on the Eibach site and this is all I could come up with:What is the spring rate of the Pro-Kit?
Only simple linear springs have a spring rate. A sophisticated progressive Eibach Pro-Kit spring has a load/deflection characteristic. The special design parameters are only accessible through Eibach Desk-Tech Database to Eibach's exclusive partners.
And:
All Eibach Pro-Kits are designed for the same maximum load like the OE springs. Actually, a progressive Eibach spring generates higher resistance under heavier load.WA
What is the spring rate of the Pro-Kit?
A

Old 06-15-2007, 03:36 PM

I have another question for the "Who did and who didn't"

Did you replace the stock shocks??

Reason being, I don't feel like plunking down $300 + labor on Koni's if I don't really have to

Old 06-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
I have another question for the "Who did and who didn't"

Did you replace the stock shocks??

Reason being, I don't feel like plunking down $300 + labor on Koni's if I don't really have to
I won't be replacing my shocks, I'm not sure but I believe the SRT6 has a different high performance shock on it. The Eibach web site said there was no need to replace the stock shocks with the Pro Kit.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope this helps.

compared to mine...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
camber_rears.JPG (151.3 KB, 184 views)

Quick Reply: Who Did And Didn't