All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What made you buy your Crossfire

Old 11-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why did you choose the Crossfire?

My decision was pretty boring and a gradual process.
- I didn't know what the car was "a cross what?" is what I said to the dealer.
- The dealer wanted me to test drive it and after I did, I really wasn't impressed.
- A couple days later I was thinking about it and decided to do some research.
- I found this site and started rreading.
- I learned of the Merc heritage.
- I shopped around and drove 3 Xfs before deciding I'd get one of them.
- Though I knew I was going to get a car that week, the XF was semi impulsive.
- The more I test drove, the more I liked it.
- The longer I've had it, the more I like it.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by SilverFox
When I saw my first Crossfire Roadster along side of me, I said I've got to get one of those! Also, it was the MB 450SL I never got, when I was in my 40's. Yup, Love at first sight!

SF
Funny you wrote that; it is also the 450SL that I never bought. (because I was a little young and poor)
If I can keep it running twenty years I will still love it just like I do the old 450s
RP

Old 11-18-2007, 04:29 PM

I few months ago I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I under went the knife on 10/11/07. I feel lucky because everything went well with the surgery. After a few days in the hospital I was sent home for a few weeks with a catheter in tow. Well, needless to say I could not do much except sit and wait to heal. Being a car fanatic I of course started reading reviews on the new 08 models. I have always wanted a convertible. The closet thing I have is my motorcycle, a 05 Victory Hammer. I love my bike but it's never practical on a daily basis. I have been eyeing the BMW 335i hardtop convertible and the Mercedes SLK 350. Both cars priced at more than I want to spend new and used ones are no bargain either. I had an 03 350 Z when they first came out and I bought it because the price for the new Crossfire’s which were about to be unveiled loaded were about 5,000 more. I wanted it as a first choice after seeing the concept. But didn't want to spend that much. I never considered it again. Well, I sold the 350z last year because I needed a truck. I have been missing the sport car thrill since. While sitting at home in my recovery chair. (Recliner) I started to look all the new car websites on my laptop to see what convertibles they had to offer. I visited the Chrysler website and was looking at the Crossfire and still realized that the 40,000 dollar range was a little too much for a two seater. I have always really like the body style. I knew the car shared a lot of MB's parts from previous articles I had read. The more I looked around it looked like a Toyota Camry Solara or Chrysler Sebring was the only two in my price range. I decided to look on eBay for maybe a used Crossfire Convertible. Best move I made. I was shocked at what I was seeing. Crossfire’s and lots of them listed at reasonable prices. I thought oh hell... another Chrysler product not able to hold a resale value. After doing more research I found out that Chrysler was having problems with the sales of this car and I knew why, they were too expensive to begin with. To make a longer story longer I found a 2006 Black Limited Convertible, 6 speeds MT with navigation with only 25 miles listed for 27,900. This was a new car dealership listing it and I knew they could help with financing. I emailed them and they had about 5 on the lot. Well, I didn't buy the one listed, but I got one just like it and it's sitting in my garage. I had it delivered to my front door. I wasn't able to drive it at first and it was making me anxious. I finally got the catheter out after three weeks and the first drive was just what I needed to lift my spirits. This car handles way better than I expected. The ride is much better than my 350Z was. Driving with the top down is a blast. I don't know if my motorcycle will get much attention anymore now that I have the convertible. I bought the car for a daily driver and that’s what I plan to do. By the way I just turned 50 years old and have come to the conclusion that you never know what life is going to throw at you. Better enjoy everyday you are given. My wife calls it my turning 50 and surviving cancer car. I just call it mine!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Focushere
I few months ago I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I under went the knife on 10/11/07. I feel lucky because everything went well with the surgery. After a few days in the hospital I was sent home for a few weeks with a catheter in tow. Well, needless to say I could not do much except sit and wait to heal. Being a car fanatic I of course started reading reviews on the new 08 models. I have always wanted a convertible. The closet thing I have is my motorcycle, a 05 Victory Hammer. I love my bike but it's never practical on a daily basis. I have been eyeing the BMW 335i hardtop convertible and the Mercedes SLK 350. Both cars priced at more than I want to spend new and used ones are no bargain either. I had an 03 350 Z when they first came out and I bought it because the price for the new Crossfire’s which were about to be unveiled loaded were about 5,000 more. I wanted it as a first choice after seeing the concept. But didn't want to spend that much. I never considered it again. Well, I sold the 350z last year because I needed a truck. I have been missing the sport car thrill since. While sitting at home in my recovery chair. (Recliner) I started to look all the new car websites on my laptop to see what convertibles they had to offer. I visited the Chrysler website and was looking at the Crossfire and still realized that the 40,000 dollar range was a little too much for a two seater. I have always really like the body style. I knew the car shared a lot of MB's parts from previous articles I had read. The more I looked around it looked like a Toyota Camry Solara or Chrysler Sebring was the only two in my price range. I decided to look on eBay for maybe a used Crossfire Convertible. Best move I made. I was shocked at what I was seeing. Crossfire’s and lots of them listed at reasonable prices. I thought oh hell... another Chrysler product not able to hold a resale value. After doing more research I found out that Chrysler was having problems with the sales of this car and I knew why, they were too expensive to begin with. To make a longer story longer I found a 2006 Black Limited Convertible, 6 speeds MT with navigation with only 25 miles listed for 27,900. This was a new car dealership listing it and I knew they could help with financing. I emailed them and they had about 5 on the lot. Well, I didn't buy the one listed, but I got one just like it and it's sitting in my garage. I had it delivered to my front door. I wasn't able to drive it at first and it was making me anxious. I finally got the catheter out after three weeks and the first drive was just what I needed to lift my spirits. This car handles way better than I expected. The ride is much better than my 350Z was. Driving with the top down is a blast. I don't know if my motorcycle will get much attention anymore now that I have the convertible. I bought the car for a daily driver and that’s what I plan to do. By the way I just turned 50 years old and have come to the conclusion that you never know what life is going to throw at you. Better enjoy everyday you are given. My wife calls it my turning 50 and surviving cancer car. I just call it mine!
What a truly wonderful story with a very happy outcome. Congratulations on your new Crossfire and best wishes to you for a long healthy road to drive down for years to come.

PS: I have a Honda Valkyrie motorcycle and I just got my 04 Coupe back in April (like new condition) and I didn't ride my cycle as much this summer as I would normally have. I did already put 9000 miles on my Crossfire though.

Welcome to the forum . Gary

Old 11-18-2007, 05:29 PM

Saw one drive through town one weekend, managed to get behind it & caught the name. Went home, did some research on the ole web & had to have one. Then it was just a matter of time waiting to find one at a price I could afford. That time came last Sept. when I spotted one at 'my' price in MN, bought it & then discovered that SRT-6 prices were starting to drop & thought, oh what the heck!
The car is unique, has that Benz driveability & since the kids are long gone & all I do is drive back & forth to work a two-seater is actually practical for me. Oh, not to mention it's a rocket on 4 wheels & corners real good & gets looks from old farts (like me) in Caddies & corners real, real good & it sparks conversation at gas pumps when folks ask "just what kinda car is that?" (thereby assisting in world peace by starting people talking) & dusts Mustangs & corners real, real, real good!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Forum Regular

I was doing research online, and found a concept car that I remembered loving a few years ago.
As I read through owners reviews, the only common complaint was the cup holder.
Nothing in the price range even came close to the SRT performance.
Other cars I was looking at were a new Civic Si or Miata, or a pre-enjoyed G35 Coupe w/40K miles.
I found an SRT for 24K about 20 miles away.
Test drove it and loved it!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I always liked the looks of the car, so four days before our 22nd anniversary, 07-31-07, I decided to suprise her with a crossfire, we've never had a new car. My only reqirements were a 6spd. and the cedar and slate interior. I found A "new" used 2005 limited on EBAY with 16 miles in Illinois (I live in Tenn.) Since I only had four days, I bought the car sight unseen for $19000 and had a friend of mine with a towing company go get it for $700.00. It got back in town at 6pm on our anniversary and they dropped it off at the rest. we were eating at. (I made her cry). We had never even sat in a crossfire before, let alone, test drive one. We both love this car. It's better than I ever expected it to be.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by blond xo
Just curious as to what made everyone else decide to buy the crossfire over the other cars in its category? Why not the 350Z, Mustang GT, S2000, TT, G35... all those...even though in my opinion the crossfire stands alone... but that's because I'm bias.

I got mine because i test drove the car (along with the 04' TT and 05' G35 in the same day) and the crossfire just captivated me. It looks like nothing else, it's priced just right, the power is enough for me, and it has the reliability of MB... what's not to love?!

I have driven the GT, G35, and TT, none of them could compare to the crossfire. However, if i wanted to spend more than 20K on a car, i would've gotten a 2007 TT. Maybe in 2 years... once the depreciation hits hard!
I dont think the mustang falls in the same class it has four seats not two

Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
My wife and I always liked the looks of the car, so four days before our 22nd anniversary, 07-31-07, I decided to surprise her with a crossfire, we've never had a new car. My only requirements were a 6spd. and the cedar and slate interior. I found A "new" used 2005 limited on EBAY with 16 miles in Illinois (I live in Tenn.) Since I only had four days, I bought the car sight unseen for $19000 and had a friend of mine with a towing company go get it for $700.00. It got back in town at 6pm on our anniversary and they dropped it off at the rest. we were eating at. (I made her cry). We had never even sat in a crossfire before, let alone, test drive one. We both love this car. It's better than I ever expected it to be.
Totally Awesome story !!! You are the man !! Congratulations !!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:31 PM

The second one I saw, I took a close look and decided this car deserved a closer look. A little research on the internet about the car, disclosed that its details and reputation made it worthy of an even closer look. I doubted that I would find it comfortable or to my driving liking, but I decided to test drive one to get it out of my mind. I tend to have a "Incredible Mr. Toad" approach to worldly possessions. Two weeks after my impromptu test drive, I sold my DeVille and downsized. I love it and havent looked back.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I few months ago I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I under went the knife on 10/11/07. .................................................. ...................................... By the way I just turned 50 years old and have come to the conclusion that you never know what life is going to throw at you. Better enjoy everyday you are given. My wife calls it my turning 50 and surviving cancer car. I just call it mine!
Very moving story, thank you so much for sharing it with us! Bill

Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Why did you choose the Crossfire?

Originally Posted by CALL911
My wife and I always liked the looks of the car, so four days before our 22nd anniversary, 07-31-07, I decided to suprise her with a crossfire, we've never had a new car. My only reqirements were a 6spd. and the cedar and slate interior. I found A "new" used 2005 limited on EBAY with 16 miles in Illinois (I live in Tenn.) Since I only had four days, I bought the car sight unseen for $19000 and had a friend of mine with a towing company go get it for $700.00. It got back in town at 6pm on our anniversary and they dropped it off at the rest. we were eating at. (I made her cry). We had never even sat in a crossfire before, let alone, test drive one. We both love this car. It's better than I ever expected it to be.
CALL911, What a Great Love Story, Thank you!
Enjoyed meeting you both at the Meet & thanks for coming, sorry we didn't have more time to talk then.
My Best to you Both!
Bill

Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unlike most Crossfire owners, it wasn't love at first sight for me. The first time I paid serious attention to the Crossfire was at the Detroit Auto show, and the "Marlin" style fastback turned me off. Now coming from a an AMC enthusiast, that may sound a little strange, but the Marlin was always my least favorite AMC design.
During the summer of 04, I drove past a car lot everyday on my way to work that had a red Crossfire elevated up on a pedestal. After seeing it there for about a month I realized, that fastback looked pretty darn good on a sports car. (Actually I liked it on the Marlin too, I just thought the Marlin was too big of a car for a fastback).
Now being a 2-seater guy by nature (I've never been with out a sports car since I was 16) I usually check out every sports car that comes out. So after reading everything I could about the Crossfire, I soon realized that it was basically an AMX for the new millenium. Same size, same performance, same basic handling (only better) and that's all it took for me to get serious about buying one.
I knew I couldn't afford a new one so I started looking for a used one in the Fall of 04. It kind of bothered me that there were so many around to choose from after just one year of production, (was there something wrong with them?) But I finally decided how bad could they be, after all it's a Mercedes.
I was looking to find one for around $25k when my friend told me there were about 30 Crossfires on EBAY at the time. Then in the last week of March 05, I won my brand new 04 XF in an EBAY auction for $21700.00 from a dealer in Paducha Kentucky.
My Daughter drove me down to Kentucky on April Fools Day and dropped me off at a hotel, (the dealer was closed for the evening) and the next morning the dealer picked me up to complete the deal. 9 hours later I was home and totally happy with my purchase, and I've never been more satisfied with any other car that I've owned.
Most people out there haven't got a clue what a great little sports car the Crossfire is, but at least "We" all do.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Forum Regular

Just picked up a used one, '04 LTD roadster. My mom has one and I got to drive it with the top down, doing 145. Need I say more?? Plus I remember seeing the commercial for them during the Super Bowl years ago.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:14 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by Jeep2Xfire
'04 LTD roadster.
No 04 roadsters were produced.
Only one model crossfire was produced in 2004, a loaded coupe. Options were, color, auto/manual trans, and tires.
05 brought LTD, base, and SRT coupes and roadsters.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Forum Regular

liked them years ago , the cost was too high then .

i was looking for a , audi tt . but for the price i could not pass up the srt-6
2005 with 170 miles new in box , never titled got her for 23.900,
sweet ride.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Forum Regular

I few months ago I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer....
congratulations. inspiring.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Well... I really liked the Aero Blue Xfire, but nobody around here had one. Hubby told me one day that our favorite dealer had 6 identical red Xfires on the lot that they had got for a great price. Ok, no big deal. I wasn't in the mood for trading in my minivan since hubby had just gotten a new Jeep.
We stopped in for a service appt one day and he said "Oh, just take it for a spin around the block". I should have known better. I was hooked. Thought I'd go home and sleep on it. The next day, three of them were sold already. Told my hubby to call and save one for me! All I can say now is "I like it! I love it! I want some more of it! I tried, so hard - I can't live without it!" (Thanks Tim for the words!)

Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RPM
No 04 roadsters were produced.
Only one model crossfire was produced in 2004, a loaded coupe. Options were, color, auto/manual trans, and tires.
'05 brought LTD, base, and SRT coupes and roadsters.
I got many PMs on my blunder. I fat fingered the keyboard. I apologize. It's a 2005.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:57 PM

I felt the need for a sporty car just for putt putting around town. I drive a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup and a large Mercury sedan for everyday use. I was tried of driving a plain jane car all the time and I didn't want to take my 1959 Chevy convertible out for anything but car club activites. I checked out most every thing new and found out I either couldn't afford them or wouldn't fit in them. The Sebring and the Mustang are too common for a toy for an old man.

A friend told me about this Crossfire on a dealers lot at a good price. It is a former rental car but appeared almost new. It had 7,300 miles on it and it was only 7 months old. Now the best part is I got it for less than $20,000. OK only $1 less. It was the best deal on sporty car I found. It is a 2006 Limited Roadster with everything but the Nav system. it is a dark Metalic Gray. I am not sure just what Chrysler calls that color but I haven't seen another Crossfire the same color yet. I bought it about two weeks ago and really haven't decided if I really like it or not. I really wish I could have found something like a Cadillac Allante in a newer car.

Texas Charles

Quick Reply: What made you buy your Crossfire