All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What made you buy your Crossfire

Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why did you choose the Crossfire?

Durability and power HP/torque of the AMG engine / drive train.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
ditto... saw it at detroit and knew i would own one.
Exactly. A proven MB/AMG platform with the most beautiful skin on the market just couldn't be beat. I was one of the first buyers of the 2004 model and then traded up to an SRT6. Even at sticker, they were the most attractive bargain around for those who knew what they really were. And that hasn't changed at all; they still are.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 PM

I always liked the SRT-6 Coupes but their prices when new led me elsewhere. The Renegade you see here was my daily driver until a drunken middle-aged party girl t-boned me on the left. Curiously, a Jerry Springer Show reject broad-sided me on the other side at the same time. I couldn't clone my beloved Jeep but then the "inventory reduction" cars were on the market so...

I miss my Jeep, but I love my AMG powered Coupe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
116-1613_IMG.JPG (467.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 PM

to drive it !

Old 09-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you know at one point I was all to crazy about getting ridiculous performance in my vehicles to be able to race with anyone I want, but now that I own a gixxer it is just so meaningless...

Now I am more interested in performance modifications that make me more comfortable and not for racing... Some people disagree and would rather purchase a used c5 Z06 tune it up to 700 hp it will probably run them no more than 45k while others will rather spend 200k on 600 horse sl65 or 200k for a 510 horse lambo... or 130k for a 997 turbo with 480 horse...

I am not going to say corvette is a bad a car, because that would be a lie.. but it is just not for everyone... and there is nothing NOTHING wrong with liking a crossfire srt-6 or **** even something like an porsche boxter s over the vette...

Another example of this is this summer I had an opportunity to spend a few days driving a Gallardo Spyder a 200k car, in conclusion I was just not impressed... sure it got much attention more than the crossfire, but it is just not my kind of car... I did not feel comfortable, although from a distance it seams like a small car, when I was driving it I felt like I was in a boat... I am more of a grand touring and NOT SPORT kind of guy and if I could afford I would upgrade to something like an aston db9 which in its own is probably slower than the vette...

Last edited by Sidez; 09-17-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 PM

I settled on the Crossfire in a round about way. My 91 Dodge was dying and I decided to get a replacement before it croaked for good. I tinkered with the idea of getting rid of it and replacing it with a Charger but I had doubts of being able to park one inside my carport due to the car's width. I really wanted a Crossfire but thought they were too expensive - and especially so for the SRT-6. Plus I didn't think I could get through life with only a two seater. But then Crossfire prices began to tumble and I decided to hang onto the Dodge so the cost and car size problems were both solved.

Not sure when I first saw a Crossfire but there simply wasn't any other car in it's class that interested me. Just zeroed in on the Crossfire like a politician to a new revenue source.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the SRT-6 at the SRT Track Experience, and HAD TO HAVE IT!!! I traded in my Modded SRT-4 for the 6. Couldn't be happier. I was so eager to get one, I didn't really think about anything else. Oh, and I have a Yellow '06 S2000 in the garage right next to the 6. One for GO, and one for WHOA!!! The 6 gets WAY MORE ATTENTION (Whoa) than the S2000 (even in Yellow). The S2000 is more engaging to drive on a back road, but nothing beats the sheer brutality of the 6's power...

Yes, I have TWO completely impractical small sports cars... But I'm single and I enjoy myself. The lease on the S2000 will be up in a year, so I'm probably going to let it go back and keep the xFire and buy another practical driver...

Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 AM

Truly Madly Deeply love at first sight. Must be the stance. Then the power within...then the rare of its kind... has to be black.
3 years now, still truly madly deeply in love with my Xfire.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sidez
I am not going to say corvette is a bad a car, because that would be a lie.. but it is just not for everyone... and there is nothing NOTHING wrong with liking a crossfire srt-6 or **** even something like an porsche boxter s over the vette...
I'm not saying the Corvette is for everyone, it's certainly not. I was just saying when it comes to bang for you buck, it can't be beat. It's also reliable while still being a world class sports car.

The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same thing, I'm certainly not suggesting everyone should.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When I got my xfire I wasn't even looking for a car at the time but I drove by a Chrysler dealership and stopped in to look and fell in love. Found out that a roadster version was coming out soon and well the rest is history. Drove away on 6/28/04 with a big ol grin on my face. I've been looking at build #'s for the roadsters since I got mine and haven't seen any lower than mine but I'm sure there are some out there just not very many.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 AM

When they first came out there was a tiny picture in a dealer's ad in the local fishwrap. I fell in love with the cross between a Bugatti Atlanta Coupe and a Bill Thomas Cheetah from that little photo.

A couple of months later my Eclipse was fatally shortened by a woman talking on her cell phone and turning left in front of me. I called my local Mitsubishi dealer looking to buy a replacement Eclipse but he never got back to me. In the meantime the kid I work with brought in a Rod &Truck magazine with road tests of current sports cars which mentioned that the Crossfire cornered better than a Porsche Boxster.

That did it.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:28 AM
Forum Regular

I've owned 3 Corvettes. I have to say the xfire is nicer!
The only area it is lacking is the low-end torque. But how can you compare a 5.7 to a 3.2? I believe the handling, comfort, and exclusivity of our xfires' are better. (They are absolutely beautiful!0 The Corvettes are overpriced for an unreliable piece of GM! Amazingly, at car shows I'm not so interested in Corvettes anymore.

Stan

Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 AM

I bought mine on complete impulse. I was talking to a roommate at the time who was getting ready to move out to CA, and we were talking about what kind of car he should buy. He mentioned buying a new Mini, and I told him he should look at used sports cars, like 350Z's, TT's, Crossfires, ect...more car for the $$. I grabbed my laptop and started looking up cars in the area, and found an '04 with 6K miles for $19,900(this was exactly 2 years ago, and this car was one of the cheapest in the country with the miles). Black & 6-speed. I actually liked the 350Z better, but for that money they all had around 40K on them.

I didn't know much about the Xfire, so I did some research, read the reviews, ect.

The very next day I drove down to the dealership and traded my '01 Maxima SE automatic for it. I had the Max for a little over a year, and 2 previous cars before that were 5-spd BMW 3-series...needless to say I was itching for another car that was fun to drive.

Oh, and my roommate drove my Xfire, loved it, and bought one when after moving out there.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:02 PM

3 months ago I rented an econbox for $20 at Dollar Car Rental at the Pittsburgh Airport for a seminar.

At the counter I was informed that I had been upgraded to a Crossfire - I was not aware of the Crossfire (I was a former German car snob too good to think of buying American) and thought I was getting a mini van like the Pacifica - pretty fancy key though.

Walked down the aisle looking for my minivan and I see the spot looks empty (large Pacifica on one side and a 300 on the other) I decide to try the key unlock hoping to hear the car somewhere nearby (my BMW 540 chirps in a most annoying manner I thought this would also) no noise but I see a brief flash of yellow and walk closer find this little tiny car. Looked pretty cool - only problem the Pacifica was parked so close I could barely get the door open enough to fit my size 13 shoes in the door.

Get in and close the door - nice, sounds German - impressed with the room inside - start it up - nice.

Drive it - nice even in the automatic form (I favor 6MT's) Not crazy about the viz out the back but that improved once I discovered the mirrors had been folded back to fit into the parking space.

Decide to step on the gas on the highway to see what it can do - immediately let up on the gas and brake because I hear a motorcycle whining up in my blind spot - but there is no motorcycle. Step on the gas again and there is the sound of a XF at 5+K rpm coupled with the power and ride. I had to get me one of these "Crossfires".

A friend at the seminar was well informed on these Crossfires and filled me in on the history and the bargain prices - now I really had to get me one. Sold the BMW 540 and bought a "new" '05. I am quite happy with the XF which just rolled over 1000 miles - no more careful breakin period - just full on driving excitement.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Redeagle,
Welcome to the forum and I must tell you I enjoyed reading your story here.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Thumbs up Re: Why did you choose the Crossfire?

RedEagle,
I also Really enjoyed reading your story, I'm sure that same thing with a Rental Crossfire, has brought others into the Fold!
Congrats & Welcome to the Forum & enjoy your Great Ride!

SF

Old 09-23-2007, 08:14 AM
RPM
Thumbs up Re: Why did you choose the Crossfire?

redeagle - Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Good story BTW.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by redeagle
3 months ago I rented an econbox for $20 at Dollar Car Rental at the Pittsburgh Airport for a seminar.

At the counter I was informed that I had been upgraded to a Crossfire - I was not aware of the Crossfire (I was a former German car snob too good to think of buying American) and thought I was getting a mini van like the Pacifica - pretty fancy key though.

Walked down the aisle looking for my minivan and I see the spot looks empty (large Pacifica on one side and a 300 on the other) I decide to try the key unlock hoping to hear the car somewhere nearby (my BMW 540 chirps in a most annoying manner I thought this would also) no noise but I see a brief flash of yellow and walk closer find this little tiny car. Looked pretty cool - only problem the Pacifica was parked so close I could barely get the door open enough to fit my size 13 shoes in the door.

Get in and close the door - nice, sounds German - impressed with the room inside - start it up - nice.

Drive it - nice even in the automatic form (I favor 6MT's) Not crazy about the viz out the back but that improved once I discovered the mirrors had been folded back to fit into the parking space.

Decide to step on the gas on the highway to see what it can do - immediately let up on the gas and brake because I hear a motorcycle whining up in my blind spot - but there is no motorcycle. Step on the gas again and there is the sound of a XF at 5+K rpm coupled with the power and ride. I had to get me one of these "Crossfires".

A friend at the seminar was well informed on these Crossfires and filled me in on the history and the bargain prices - now I really had to get me one. Sold the BMW 540 and bought a "new" '05. I am quite happy with the XF which just rolled over 1000 miles - no more careful breakin period - just full on driving excitement.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
As I mentioned in a previous post I love this story.

I just wondered which rental company did you use that provided you the Crossfire. I will be traveling to South Padre Island , Texas the week after Thanksgiving and I thought it would be cool to rent another Crossfire for vacation while mine sits home in the garage resting for the week.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Forum Regular

In 04 bought one and had it less then 6 months the dealer forged my name on contracts and Chrysler gave me back every penny, kind got tiered of the Benz....and wanted a coupe...it would turn my head every time i would see one.....so bought mine...

Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)

Well my wife did. I was looking for a new car. Went to our local dealer. My wife wanted to test drive the XF I was testing a Charger RT. To make a long story short my wife won.
P.S., Glad she did.

Quick Reply: What made you buy your Crossfire