All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 05-09-2020, 12:35 PM
Received 195 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

George, Back away from the dinner table, easy on lunch too and drop the carbs.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Moore2575
what are the purpose of these
They make connecting the seat belt easier by allowing you to not have to reach as far to connect the buckles
I recently have gotten these too right here from >>
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Today I got the new roadster home to begin another project. It's an 05, Aero Blue, 132,000 mi., Auto, Convertible. Removed the dead Mopar battery and discovered that the trash and leaves were never kept out leaving me to believe that the cabin air filter was probably choked with debris as well. I'll take it one issue at a time, it needs a bath and the vinyl top treatment, not to mention a filthy engine bay. This should keep me busy until I have researched enough on the "stuk in park" issue to tackle that.....Peace 'yall...WWG1WGA

Old 05-12-2020, 01:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From past experience, the stuck in Park might just be the result of the dead battery.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:41 PM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

Performed an oil/filter change (ODO = 24,700) on our 2007 Coupe this afternoon. All tasks completed w/o incident, including the resetting of the FSS (surprise, surprise, surprise!). Went back & looked at my records. Oil & filter change costs were the following: 2016 - $57.58; 2018 - $51.02; 2020 - $49.03. Probably 3000-4000 miles on the oil for any of these changes. Routine maintenance extremely economical!! (Note: The "fleece" filter element I removed was the Bosch version. I installed a Mann filter element.)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 05-13-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:05 PM
Received 399 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

Finally got hit with the RCM/No start issue! The three 'twin' pins spots near PCB top left edge (looking at PCB bottom with fuses facing away under where the Air Pump relay is), center one and right one, cold solder joints. VERY hard to see, hardly visible fine cracks completely around the pins, had to use a magnifying headband. I suspect IF more solder was in the 'tray' when this slid along during production, it would have not separated. Regardless, this was not visible with a naked eye. Thought mine was immune to this due to improvements in design/fixes in production BUT, there WAS this black 'magic marker' letters/numbers on top of PCB board where that 6th relay position was. COULD this RCM have been an older one either in stock or returned/fixed (and then installed during vehicle assembly)? Down below diode, an 'ou' was there (at @ neg band) and something like a '97h' (really could not make it out exactly) was about centered on where the relay would have been mounted. Anyway, after the freeflow of new solder (prepped by sucking most of old out), beautifully bright silver across all three 'twin' pins spots. Started right up as 'start' was engaged. Inspection and continuity testing of all relay coils and contacts, passed 100%. Another successful job well done (patting back)!

UPDATE! Updating here with new information and results!

Guess I posted #6618 here too soon... Over the last 9 days had recurring problems finally explained in new post ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...sue-alone.html ). I had gone into this RCM over and over even 'burnishing' the 'not-so-bad' relay contacts. Nothing worked, had to tap the box next to battery to sometimes get it to work. Tried jiggling the various modules in the box (with the RCM outside it), nothing... Finally (see NEW post and pictures) found the culprit. Humbling, posting that I fixed it (too soon), quite unsettling to me. I need the pigtail/connector with about 6 inches of wire (to splice correctly), for the 5 wire plug! IF anyone has continuous RCM no start, might want to check these connectors (BUT you'll have to pop off the 'side' clips) MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED (Neg Cable) before you open up any of those connectors. Also, before opening the plugs TAKE CLOSE UP PICTURES of each connector WITH the color codes AT each slot/pin. Sure hope no one else has this happen to them, it was quite a troubling fix, who would have thought 3 pins would break INSIDE a plug? This IS the first this EVER happened to me in my 50+ years in engineering, electricity, and electronics!

Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed in the prior post it implied that it is important to disconnect the negative cable when working on the RCM. Today I put in a new RCM and disconnected the positive cable. Why is it important to disconnect the negative cable of the battery rather than the positive cable? I installed a really heavy engine ground to the negative battery terminal and it is a bit more difficult for me to remove. The positive side removes really easily.

Last edited by Joe_Lukeman; 05-14-2020 at 06:44 PM. Reason: I was not clear.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_Lukeman
Why is it important to disconnect the negative cable of the battery rather than the positive cable? I installed a really heavy engine ground to the negative battery terminal and it is a bit more difficult for me to remove. The positive side removes really easily.

Number 1, it is safer to remove the NEG cable first (in a NEG ground vehicle) so that the tools used do not accidentally touch any metal (as in if you did the POS first). Number 2, IF you still have the working siren, it'll sound off as designed, thinking someone is trying to steal the car (cutting battery cables). Safety first for NEG ground vehicles, and siren screeching while your right next to it in the cowl, good reasons!

Old 05-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for your response. "Number 1, it is safer to remove the NEG cable first (in a NEG ground vehicle) so that the tools used do not accidentally touch any metal (as in if you did the POS first). Number 2, IF you still have the working siren, it'll sound off as designed, thinking someone is trying to steal the car (cutting battery cables). Safety first for NEG ground vehicles, and siren screeching while your right next to it in the cowl, good reasons!"

Very good reasons! Learning something every day is easy for me because I know so little! Perhaps my siren is not working any longer as it did not go off. Thanks again.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Joe_Lukeman
Thank you for your response. "Number 1, it is safer to remove the NEG cable first (in a NEG ground vehicle) so that the tools used do not accidentally touch any metal (as in if you did the POS first). Number 2, IF you still have the working siren, it'll sound off as designed, thinking someone is trying to steal the car (cutting battery cables). Safety first for NEG ground vehicles, and siren screeching while your right next to it in the cowl, good reasons!"

Very good reasons! Learning something every day is easy for me because I know so little! Perhaps my siren is not working any longer as it did not go off. Thanks again.

Your welcome, it is why we are all here. You'll find GOBS (yes, gobs) of useful helpful hints, tips, help to fix, and just plain friendship (mostly) here in this forum for your Crossfire(s).

Old 05-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

UPDATE! Updating here with new information and results!

Guess I posted #6618 here too soon... Over the last 9 days had recurring problems finally explained in new post ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...sue-alone.html ). I had gone into this RCM over and over even 'burnishing' the 'not-so-bad' relay contacts. Nothing worked, had to tap the box next to battery to sometimes get it to work. Tried jiggling the various modules in the box (with the RCM outside it), nothing... Finally (see NEW post and pictures) found the culprit. Humbling, posting that I fixed it (too soon), quite unsettling to me. I need the pigtail/connector with about 6 inches of wire (to splice correctly), for the 5 wire plug! IF anyone has continuous RCM no start, might want to check these connectors (BUT you'll have to pop off the 'side' clips) MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED (Neg Cable) before you open up any of those connectors. Also, before opening the plugs TAKE CLOSE UP PICTURES of each connector WITH the color codes AT each slot/pin. Sure hope no one else has this happen to them, it was quite a troubling fix, who would have thought 3 pins would break INSIDE a plug? This IS the first this EVER happened to me in my 50+ years in engineering, electricity, and electronics!.

******** EDITED 16 MAY @ 11:20AM est!!! ********

Have an update, sourced the actual pin connectors! Looks like 3 of em will cost me a couple pennies over 18 bucks delivered!

After a LOOOOOOOONG night of catching up sleep after working over 10 days on the repair/troubleshooting of this issue, I think it might be best to order the connectors (list to follow soon) UNLESS the pigtail could be acquired for almost nothing @ a low shipping cost to zip 29168.

IF I were to order those connectors over the weekend, they wouldn't get out to me before Monday anyway so...

Thanks to ALL the messages and help! BTW, the list of part numbers and cross-references gathered over the last couple of days (much to my sleep deprived result), will be posted as an attachment when I can cull and create a text document!

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 05-16-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Revised, Logical thinking again after sleep?
Old 05-16-2020, 01:14 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I think many of us would like to know how to identify and source those connectors.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
I think many of us would like to know how to identify and source those connectors.

Always was my intent, it WILL take quite a while to cull the FLYN's! LOL

For those who are cornfumed, FLYN is Funny Little Yellow Note! As in stickies!

Old 05-16-2020, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Today, I entered my 2004 Crossfire in a virtual car show. The "New Normal". The Greene County (PA) Historical Society usually has a nice car show in May but like most other events it was cancelled. The historical society decided to have a virtual car show. There were 95 cars and the board members of the historical society picked a winner. No, it wasn't the Crossfire. The winning car was a very nice 55 Chevy Bel-Air. One thing about virtual car shows, you don't have to quick detail the car and you don't need to worry about rain but it isn't as nice as actually going to a car show or car cruise.

Last edited by Tbirdtony; 05-17-2020 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Removing link.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:32 PM

******** EDITED 16 MAY @ 11:20AM est!!! ********

Have an update, sourced the actual pin connectors! Looks like 3 of em will cost me a couple pennies over 18 bucks delivered!

After a LOOOOOOOONG night of catching up sleep after working over 10 days on the repair/troubleshooting of this issue, I think it might be best to order the connectors (list to follow soon) UNLESS the pigtail could be acquired for almost nothing @ a low shipping cost to zip 29168.

IF I were to order those connectors over the weekend, they wouldn't get out to me before Monday anyway so...

Thanks to ALL the messages and help! BTW, the list of part numbers and cross-references gathered over the last couple of days (much to my sleep deprived result), will be posted as an attachment when I can cull and create a text document!

Ordered the pins. IF they arrive undamaged my girl should be 100% this weekend latest. Parts numbers list still not culled yet.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sanded/primed for the ???time ---2005 conv-- fenders, hood, front facia, and door mirrors ---last pieces to be painted---should be ready for paint next weekend ---hopefully re-assembly can begin next week --

Old 05-19-2020, 08:57 AM

Added LED lights below my wind deflector, and hard wired to the parking lights.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:06 AM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

My sapphire silver blue car with blue license plate bulbs and added led blue lighting just above the exhaust . Too much time on my hands

Old 05-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by timdmill
Added LED lights below my wind deflector, and hard wired to the parking lights.

Neat wiring. LOL

Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 PM

Lol. I was excited, I took the picture before I hid all of the wiring. I ran it down the roll bat under the rubber cap, and it looks all neat and tidy now.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?